Adding Gas Line for Kitchen Stove?

• Rainylakefisher

My wife wants to replace our electric range with a combo gas/electric stove/oven combo. We would need a gas line stubbed from either the furnace connection or where a gas heater connects in the garage. Access is available through the web trusses in the basement or the attic in the garage. I’m looking for tradesman in the NW metro that might be interested and an idea of the cost for the new supply. Thanks for your help!

bigcrappie
    Blaine

If your handy, I added a gas fireplace in my basement when finishing it. I pulled the permit and ran copper gas line myself. You have to pressure it to XXlbs ( I do not remember the number off the top of my head) and it has to sit for 20min to verify no leaks with the inspector there. I tapped in the furnace room where my gas dryer tapped in. You can also use CSST Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing. I soaped all connections after finial install and my house has not blown up in 15 years.

Kraig5858

Your local gas supplier should do it with a minimal cost.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Big crappie is spot on. Not too hard to do. I ran 100’ for the shop boiler and replaced the range with gas in our house. If you are not comfortable doing this, I would contact a professional. At least you will sleep better. I am always nervous the first night the gas is on. Love cooking with gas. It is a must if you make soup. Burnt out 2 electric ranges making soup. It’s a 2-3 day process.

Norsky

I’ve done my own a couple times on remodeling projects and fixing gas lines at the cabin, I bought one of the tapering tools to make the connections with copper gas lines, gas only runs at about 2 psi, but must be tested at 20 I believe. Love my gas cooktop! But if the Democrats have their way, they might be deemed illegal in the state of Minnesota soon, like they tried to do in California, but failed

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I trust that you guys that are using copper lines for gas are also using propane and not natural gas. Natural gas and copper do not mix and should be illegal to be used.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Copper and gas is just fine around the metro and most of MN from what I know. Has to do with where we get our gas supply from and the make up of it. Lot more reliable than Gastite.

You an out of state plumber?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Gas lines –
    Leave that to the Pro’s. Just sayin.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Copper and gas is just fine around the metro and most of MN from what I know.

I was going to say, my gas lines (inside the house) are all copper, built in the mid-90s.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

My gas lines are copper too. House built in 1998.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Very interesting that Nat Gas in MN does not flake the white stuff when using copper lines! Don’t use that around here! Over the course of time, it will eat away at the copper walls.

Dave maze
    Isanti

There is literally millions of feet of copper nat gas piping in the twin city metro area. Never seen white flakey stuff on the inside. I have noticed a dark color inside copper when using propane.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I believe it is because we get our gas from Canada and something to do with the lack of sulfur in it. Been a lot of years since my gas class so this might not be 100% accurate. You are right tho that lots of places around the country that copper gas pipe is a no go.

To the original question about cost of a new gas pipe it’s hard to say without seeing what needs to be done. Would guess $800 on the low. I’ve also done some for $2500 to $3000.

stevenoak

Guy I shoot with switched out electric for gas stove in his condo. Local code allowed the yellow one piece rolled pipe. It ran the length of the building. Make sure tapping off a line, it’s large enough to have sufficient flow, a plumber will know that. Price will depend on distance and accessibility, turns that kind of thing. I’ve always done my own. My last 3 houses I’ve re-piped completely, switched one stove, switched up and down stairs stoves. My Dad worked for the utility company when I was a kid. We did side work nights and weekends. By the time I was old enough to drive I’d probably ran thousands of feet of gas pipe. I’ve always bought appliances from Mom-and-Pop stores. Most can hook you up with someone reasonable, if not do it themselves for a short run. Or take a chance with the guy the kid in the big box store recommends.

Don Carlisle
    Aitkin mn

Call Arctic mechanical they can do it for you. 612-741-9297

Lou W

If you need to tap into a threaded gas line you can get a left/right coupler and nipple to hook in a tee. You will need the appropriate sized die set to thread the line you cut into

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.