Abu Garcia Ice Maxx Reel Quality vs Jason Mitchell Reel

• Tonka
    Minnesota

Any of you tried the Abu Garcia Ice Maxx Reel. It has a longer reel drop for gloves, wide spool to reduce line twist, a quick collapsible handle, and a nice look. I’m also curious if any of you have used the Jason Mitchell Ice Reel. That too has a collapsible handle, and a wider spool, plus has 5 bearings vs the Abu with 4. They both cost about the same, but I’d just like to know how the drags are on these reels. I’ve heard good things about the JM but nothing on the Abu.

Currently I use a bunch of Shimano Siennas, one Sedona, and I also have 3 Frabill 371 Inline Reels. If any of you have any experience with the drag quality and overall quality of the Abu or JM reel, please share what you think of them. I couldn’t find much for reviews on either reel. Thanks for any help.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Drag is important with myself, especially on ice with all the small hooks involved.

JM reel is nice, collapsible handle is cool but not that big of deal. Drag isn’t that great, and seems to loosen over time. There is that “sweet” spot for every rod/line combo and nicer drags tune into that spot gradually. Cheaper reels you tighten one click and it’s to loose, another click other way it’s to tight, I’d put this reel in that category. The oversized spool seems to work well but that could be just the 2# line I have on it as well.

Don’t get me wrong, for the money it’s a good reel IMO. Wayyyy better than the piece of crap ice reel pflueger came out with.

Tonka
    Minnesota

Thanks for the information, the guy at reeds told me the reel on the JM was smooth as butter haha, guess he had a different perspective. I really like the collapsible handle though because I’m in and out of my case a lot and when its cold screwing that knob can be a pain. It’s not the end of the world as I doubt I’ll get rid of my Shimanos but just a efficiency thing. Would you say the drag is comparable to the sienna? I know what you mean about those cheapo reels being all or nothing on the drag, but I feel like the siennas have a very smooth drag considering what’s out there on combo rods or vs an inline. Lastly, I’ll back you on the Pflueger ice reel, not impressed, I actually suggested it to a buddy of mine as I thought it would be their version of the sienna, but Ill take my siennas over that any day.

Thanks again for the reply I appreciate it.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

JM reel I wouldn’t say isn’t smooth, just the drag isn’t all that. Take the sienna on that manner all day. Overall I like it alot for the value.

And as far as collapsing reels, it seems that just a few turns to get that knob in a bit gets er done.

Plus the oversize handle is sweet too. Makes pistol gripping and reeling without hitting the meat on your hand nice. One downfall of the Shimano, those things are tiny.

Ryan Wilson

I dont have experience with that specific Abu but their Cardinal SX series are very nice $40 reels. I prefer the size 5, I own 2 and one size 10. Nice drag that handles big river smallies runs on 4# Maxima Chameleon really well and operates just as well in winter. I’d equate them to Shimano’s Sienna. They feel a little more solid in your hands than the Sienna but I do like my Sienna’s too.

jonbodin
    Plymouth, MN

I don’t have experience with the Abu Garcia but I have owned a Jason Mitchell Meat Stick rod/reel combo for several years now. It is my favorite reel (& rod as I love the extra weight in the handle). I’ve never had an issue with it. Granted it is my most expensive combo so I may not have the best frame of reference (I haven’t taken the plunge on a TUCR, St. Croix or Thorne Bros nor spent more than $30 on a reel).

But I can say it hasn’t ever let me down.

Tonka
    Minnesota

Thanks guys, I’m leaning towards that Abu I just need to check that drag first before I pull the trigger, but if it’s comparable to the sienna, ill have to switch some out

Kfactor

I just got the max reel and have used it for about a month now and I would not buy it again.i find in the cold the drag does Not work good at all it’s ether to tight or to loose .

shamus
    Inactive

I just got the max reel and have used it for about a month now and I would not buy it again.i find in the cold the drag does Not work good at all it’s ether to tight or to loose .

Bummer. I just handled one in the store today and liked everything about it. Felt like a pretty well made reel and I like the longer stem. Do you know if it would be possible to upgrade the drag?

Let us know what you think Tonka, if you decide to get the Abu.

Tonka
    Minnesota

kfactor,

do you think it’s a lube problem or is it just a poor drag?

Shamus,

I’m not sure I’m ready to pull the trigger after kfactor’s post. I just don’t understand why these companies can’t come out with a decent ice fishing reel with a good drag. It seems that most of the ice specific reels are junk with that drag all the way tight or all the way loose by one turn of the drag. Kind of disappointing.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.