A treasured shotgun

• Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

My Father really surprised me with this. I can only imagine the satisfaction he felt in handing this to me. It’s been previously discussed, and I know where all the firearms will go when he passes. But he dug this one out and handed to it me and just said “you take this one home”

I haven’t verified the year by serial number and will do that at some point. But by his story it’s from about 1947 or ‘48. It was bought new when he was 11 or 12. The amount of grouse shot with this one is indescribable.

This is also the very first firearm that I ever shot. Remember that moment like yesterday. Was around 8 years old. Dad wadded up a light jacket and set it over my shoulder. He loaded it and handed it to me. Seemed like an hour lecture on shooting and safety, but I finally got to shoulder it up. Wobbly as all heck, I blasted a Pabst can on a log at about 40 feet away.

When I very first started hunting, he did the old school method. Handed me this shotgun, 5 shells, and just told me no t to miss. Chased rabbits, squirrels, and my favorite game – grouse. Learning to shoot grouse with a single shot is a hell of a lesson for a kid. Something that has stuck with me to this day. Wasn’t allowed to swat them on the ground. Dad was hard core about shooting birds in flight. But aside from me learning with this gun, I have witnessed my father make numerous amazing shots on grouse with it. Memories that I will cherish forever

Amazing the history created and all the stories engraved in my mind from a very basic and simple shotgun.

Attachments:
    1. 90E1182F-F261-4D52-9A31-E286814FDA44.jpeg

2. 89A0DB2A-4F08-40C1-A0D2-846D6EB540BA.jpeg

Tom schmitt

Congratulations, there’s always something special about receiving a family heirloom.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Thanks for sharing Randy. A really cool gift given from your fathers heart. Knowing the history of it in your life makes it extra special. Sounds like he thinks the world of you.

Adam Steffes

Thats awesome. I have similar experience except its a single shot 410. Loved hunting with the guys even if I had to use my red rider bb gun to tag along when I was a little squirt. Just got my son an heirloom quality bolt action 22 so we can share this moment later in life and he can teach his kids how to use it. He is 7 this year and he has shot most of my guns at this point.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Awesome. That thing for sure would be hanging on a wall someplace as a keepsake in my home. There are too many stories and memories to hide that thing in a safe someplace.

Brad Dimond

Great story, everyone should have the opportunity to receive something meaningful from their dad.

I lost my dad in Vietnam when I was six years old. When I turned twelve I signed up for gun safety. Before the first class Mom’s brother showed up at the house, handed me Dad’s 1950s vintage Remington 870 and said “You will need a gun for class, this was your Dad’s. Now it’s yours.”

The gun still has place of pride in my gun safe and goes pheasant hunting every fall.

Snake ii’s

Great story and good for you!
    There were several guns of my Dad’s that I wished he would have given me (or someone in our family) before he died. Unfortunately his wife decided that everything was hers (married for less than 8 years) and kept most everything he owned.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

A true treasure. I also have the first gun I shot from my Grandfather. IT is one of my most valuable possessions.

Mwal

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

be hanging on a wall someplace as a keepsake

Yes sir! will be cleaned up a little and oiled. Trigger lock and to the wall in retirement!

veryone should have the opportunity to receive something meaningful from their dad.

100% agree. Too often a sudden death leaves things open to where and how things are dispersed. Of coarse a good will handles most of that. But I think someone actually handing you something this special and having the enjoyment of seeing you have it means the most

IT is one of my most valuable possessions.

I’ve been very blessed in my life. By no means do I wish to brag. I just acknowledge and humbly know that I have been appreciated by elder members in my family and I was left a few very special “gifts” to remember them by. I have old antique traps that are displayed in my home, wood working tools, fishing rods and tackle and so on. It is very humbling to know that I was respected enough from those I see as my life mentors to have or share in the simple things that allowed us to live the lives we have. Ultimately the most valued possessions I have are the memories they all gave me. They paved a road for me to follow and I am so grateful
    bow bow bow bow bow

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

When I was young my Father owned an real early model 94 Winchester. If the stories are correct it was either a actual 1894 year model in 30/30 winchester or it was a 1899 year model in .32 Winchester special. I remember him telling me that this was his fathers gun and his grandfathers gun prior to that. He told me that someday it would be my gun. Sadly my mother and Father divorced when I was around 10 years old. By the time I graduated from high school my father and I had drifted apart and did not speak much ( We later reunited and I even helped care for him until his passing ) I was told by a old friend of my dads that he had pawned that gun one time when he was in need of some quick cash, and did not get back to the pawn shop in time with cash to get it back. The old friend even tried to track the gun down for me with plans to buy it back if found, but sadly it was never located. I still feel sad to this day when I think of that gun not ending up in my hands.

wkw

This 100th Anniversary Winchester 30-30 given to after my Dad passed away. Has never been fired. And probably never will be.

Attachments:
    1. 2016-02-06-20.46.11.jpg

robby
    Quad Cities

Thanks for sharing Randy. Great post.

stevenoak

I too am lucky to have 2 .410 singles. One was my Dads, with a .22 over and nylon stock. But the second was my Grampas. A wood stock single shot. But it was the one that leaned behind the door at his farm, with a couple boxes of shells on the windowsill. When something out back needed shot. I raised animals there, and helped him with his and a one acre garden.. So I got off the bus at his house. Did my chores, ate supper there. Mom was a nurse that worked late. So Dad cooked at home. Shot 22 ground hogs with it one year off his place and 2 neighbors. I have some fancy guns. But some things money can’t buy.

Gordon

Awesome to hear stories like this. My grandfather left me one similar.

robby
    Quad Cities

Super cool old shotgun. They do not make them like that anymore. What is the make and model? Neat story too.

jwellsy

Mine is an old 28 gauge single shot my great grandfather traded a horse for the used gun in about 1901. The barrel’s been cut down a few inches because my uncle tried to shoot snow out of the barrel after falling while crossing a fence. I used it for years on squirrels until buying an 1100 at Walmart for $150 in about 1970.

Ben K.

Very cool, Randy.

A few weeks ago, I had my grandpa’s late 1940s bolt-action 20ga (Mossberg 185D) once-overed and test fired by a gunsmith and I look forward to taking it pheasant hunting next fall. There’s a solid quality to the wood and action that just feels different than modern guns.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Super cool old shotgun. They do not make them like that anymore. What is the make and model? Neat story too.

Winchester I think it’s a model 37

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

This 100th Anniversary Winchester 30-30 given to after my Dad passed away. Has never been fired. And probably never will be.

That’s a Winchester?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.