A separate wheelhouse question

• matthewkolden

So i asked about the jacks, now im going a different route.

My wife is convinced we should buy a shell and finish the interior ourselves. Ive remodeled homes for 25 years so the work isn’t a problem. Really its just time, or a lack thereof.

That said, if she convinces me, im curious on recommendations for shells/frames. Im interested in a yetti or firebrand being aluminum. I just have a half ton truck so keeping the weight down would be nice, but not necessarily a 100% necessity.

Id heard of yetti frames having weld break issues years ago but maybe thats all been addressed and fixed?

Ive been out of the wheelhouse world for too long so im just not up to date on whats what and whos good. Thanks in advance for any help and input.

MNdrifter

If I had the finishing carpentry skills and tools with the time, I’d 100% buy a Firebrand shell and finish it myself. Second would be a Berkon galvanized frame. I’ve had 2 Firebrands, and as far as trailers they were very good. Pulled great with 1/2 ton. I’d stay away from the electric jacks and get hydraulic frame. That was my only headache on both fish houses. Ended up converting second house to hydraulic jacks. I like the firebrand shell because of the aluminum studs welded to the frame and roof. No rotting and solid. Especially with spray foam.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

If I had the finishing carpentry skills and tools with the time, I’d 100% buy a Firebrand shell and finish it myself. Second would be a Berkon galvanized frame. I’ve had 2 Firebrands, and as far as trailers they were very good. Pulled great with 1/2 ton. I’d stay away from the electric jacks and get hydraulic frame. That was my only headache on both fish houses. Ended up converting second house to hydraulic jacks. I like the firebrand shell because of the aluminum studs welded to the frame and roof. No rotting and solid. Especially with spray foam.

I agree with all of this. We kept electric jacks. They never were a issue

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

It would be nice if you added a location to your profile. Unless you live a ways south you better get going. You plan on using it this year? I’ve had a steel frame and zero problems in 10 years. Is Bercon the company that puts synthetic bushings between the axel and pivot? That seems like such a great idea but never had them. Good Luck Sir.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I will never buy another wheel house with anything but a galvanized frame. I had a friend that went this route a long time ago and his build was less than fancy he ended up reinforcing to much stuff and made it really heavy. Good luck on your build.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.