A boy and the Croix

• sharptailer
    IGH, MN

Wednesday, my nine year old grandson ,Kieran, and I were joined by my friend friend Greg Gunther for a sturgeon outing on the Croix. after five hours and several locations Kieran had caught the only two sturgeon, 24 and 29 inches. My shad netting skills are still pretty dismal so we were only using crawlers and fatheads until we stopped by to visit Steve DeMars and he generously provided us with some shad. After that it was fish on for the next two hours. We ended up with ten sturgeon and two catfish, a channel and a flathead. In addition to the previously mentioned fish Kieran caught sturgeon 32″, 42″, and 45″ The big flathead was 41″ and 36 lbs.
    It was a beautiful day with minimal boat traffic anded with big smiles and a nine year old with sore arms.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1119.jpg

2. IMG_1120.jpg

3. IMG_1134.jpg

sharptailer
    IGH, MN

sorry two pics of same fish

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1124.jpg

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Nice. That’s a day that Kieran will never forget!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Awesome! That’s all I can say! Pictures of smiling faces spanning generation while fishing. Yep, I stick by the awesome.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

So was steve out there drifting for flats?

He’s given me some bait in the past too. What a guy!

sharptailer
    IGH, MN

Steve is awesome,no doubt about it. He was drifting for cats, flatheads or channels I don’t know. That is a good area, I had 47 sturgeon pulled into my boat from that area last fall. Kieran handled the sturgeon by himself and Greg provided some lifting help and kept a firm grip on Kieran’s belt while fighting the flathead. One day last fall on that spot all they wanted was crawlers, no fatheads, no shad

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

For sure! I doubled your numbers last year and then some but I tend to spread out more and cover some ground. They do change bait preference often. Good to have a bunch of every bait. Kid pics are awesome!

sharptailer
    IGH, MN

My son and I caught 24 sturgeon, 2 large channels and 1 ok flathead on Saturday afternoon in that area. Move a little deeper, go back shallower. Almost everything on shad. Had something on for a few minutes that came unbuttoned, bent the circle out of a 6/0 Gamakatsu circle hook.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Image 1134 is a wallhanger! waytogo

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

My son and I caught 24 sturgeon, 2 large channels and 1 ok flathead on Saturday afternoon in that area. Move a little deeper, go back shallower. Almost everything on shad. Had something on for a few minutes that came unbuttoned, bent the circle out of a 6/0 Gamakatsu circle hook.

That’s amazing!

Rod Bent

Hi,
    I’m new to IDO and to catfish and sturgeon fishing. I’m totally hooked because nothing compares to the tug of a bottom dweller, or to the mystery of what you are going to pull up! IDO has a very cooperative, informative, humorous and committed membership. Who knew that fishermen could give honest answers?! I want to shout out to several guys who made my season memorable. Steve Demars, who shared some shad with us which were the key to our first gang-buster sturgeon day. Andy (aka FBRM), who graciously showed us some of his hot spots. Always amazed at his near daily photos of huge fish. He is The Surgeon of Sturgeon! And my buddy Michael, who wrote A Boy and the Croix, and who invited me “over to the dark side” of catfish and sturgeon fishing. River rats will recognize his snowy, ZZ Top beard. Yeah, that guy. We’ve had a phenomenal season with personal bests for both of us and his grandson Kieran.
    Wishing you all tight lines and Happy Holidays!
    Gregg Gunter

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Welcome, you will have fun here as long as you stay out of the football wars. doah

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.