A better net – is it out there

• Brandon Brackey

So here is the situation, I have an 8-9 year old extendable net (unsure of manufacture at this time) which I have been using for everything. It is fairly large and can handle everything I really need including a large pike mid size musky when they happen along, but the net seems to be really rough on fish. It has a very large “netting” so smaller pike/walleye will slip through and get caught around the gills but also seems to be very abrasive as well on the fish. For Christmas I was thinking about asking for a new net but there are a lot of options and a fair amount of them do not seem much better for the fish than the one I currently have. Is this the best there is? I see Frabill has a conservation series but the reviews do not seem spectacular. Because the net works great can/should I try and buy a new netting for it that maybe easier on the fish? That is really all I am looking for at this point so I thought I would ask for experience from someone in the same boat.

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

I have one busy season on the Frabil conservation net and am satisfied.

jighead-two
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Not sure if it will fit your needs, but I bought EGO S2 Slider a few years ago and like it. It’s a little heavy for a one man net job ( at least for me) but for two or more in the boat, it’s great. They have different net and length options.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

If you can take it apart replacing the bag is the most cost effective option. Most all net companies offer replacement bags. Maybe this Frabill link will help.
    http://frabill.com/landing-nets/replacement-netting.html
    I also think I have seen some bags at fleet farm too so it may be possible to get your hands on them for a visual and size comparition.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

X2 waytogo

joc
    Western and Central, NY

The Ranger “Tournament Series” Nets are the best net I’ve ever seen and they are a bit cheaper than similar Frabil nets. They form a nice basket with a flat bottom that the fish lays in, rather than getting twisted in the cone shaped mesh of the standard type net. Also the meshing is small diameter and rubberized to be very conversation minded. The hooks seldom hang up in the net.

http://rangernets.com/

Rope
    Kansas

x3

muskeye
    Duluth, Mn

I did a lot of research and I ended up with the Beckman. It seemed to be the strongest and best build. They made the ego stronger between the net and handle now. Conservation series is nice too.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.