Chequamegon Smallies

• cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

Smallmouth are on bed in both sloughs…Water is shallow and it has really narrowed the woody pocket areas so it is crowded even if there are not a lot of boats. Plastics have been the ticket….Worms, tubes, swim jigs retrieved slowly…Had a couple hits on Rattln’ Rapala. Fished out in 7 to 10 ft of water in Sand Cut today and didnt touch a fish. This past Sat Black YUM Dingers were the hot bait wacky rigged. Also, talked to a friend of mine who did well on Flukes…Caught one fish today on a Twister RT slug. Water temps were in the mid to upper 60’s and even low 70’s in shallows. Good luck and be safe running your boat…esp in Kakagon slough…Shallow!!!

Chris Beeksma
    Get Bit Guide Service

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Thanks for the report Chris! I really hope to sneak up there soon…But the good news is I am booked through June 15…

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

caught the fire out of them yesterday (tuesday). First time fishing the bay. I will definitly be back, this year. Awesome fishery!! Tubes are the ticket

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

Tuesday was a very interesting day…A lot of big females came in on Monday night and it was a whole different fishery from the day before. With the high water temps I expect the fish to be on and off the beds rather quickly….Should be an excellent spinnerbait/topwater bite soon. I live on the Pike Lake Chain near Iron River, WI and last night right at dark there was a tremendous bug hatch on the lake…It was flat calm and sounded like someone was making popcorn off my dock. The bluegills and crappies were hitting the surface 20 to 30 fish or more at a time. It was really fun to watch this feeding frenzy…Of course I had to run up and grab my St. Croix 7 foot ultralight and started pitching the Berkley Atomic tube I had tied on….I had hits on most every cast and for 15 min (until the mosquitoes drove me in the house) I caught gills up to 10 inches and crappies up to 14 inches…one of those “you should have been there moments” in fishing and I was there lol. It was really fun. I even stopped fishng to run into the house and tell me wife to come down and see the commotion.

Chris Beeksma

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Good stuff Chris!!! Other than not being able to get on some lakes, the fishing has been on fire all spring, except for the walleyes from the 8th through last week and now they are showing up in the weeds just like they are supposed to.

Mark

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.