Ice Conditions

• jim_hudson
    Bayfield, WI

Havent been around this site much this winter.. But thought I would post an update ice report for everyone.

Ice conditions are doing well in the bay itself.. Been out since early December, a full year earlier then the year before. Nice to have ice the way it should be again… From Ashland to Washburn and over to Second Landing, we are averaging 8 to 9 inches. With a foot or more near shore along Ashland and over to Second Landing. Along the shoreline of Washburn up to Houghton Point, the ice is much thinner, 5 inches or less. Use caution there. No ice north of Long Island of Houghton Point as of yet.

Snow on top isnt too bad. Snowmobile travel is best, but ATV travel is going on too. Just watch out for the slush spots, easy to spot when driving.

Fishing has been hot and cold. But reports are picking up a bit. More so in the mud areas near Ashlands Lighthouse and out from the coal dock in Washburn. Depths of 25 FOW to 30 FOW near the Lighthouse and 30FOW to 50 FOW off Washburn. Walleyes, Perch, Browns, Splake, and a few Cohos are the majority of the catches. Some whitefish and herring around too..

See my website for updated reports if you wish, in my profile.

gat
    Glopaint,Capital Northwest Wisc.

Thanks for the report Jim

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Thanks for the update Jim……it is good to to be reminded of my all-time favorite ice-fishing trips.

bigpike

Man I would love to hit it up there once for a ice fishing trip, might have to look you up. How does it go late ice????

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Jim:

Been reading your reports on the LL site. Always glad to see you on duty up there!!! Looking at making it up in the next couple of Sat. nites for a full day on Sunday!!! Will let you know, perhaps you can share a with us.

Mark

jim_hudson
    Bayfield, WI

We made ice out into the big lake.. A bit earlier then last year.. Right now we are looking at 3 to 6 inches, still variable, but we have at least two or three more days of cold weather.. Should get us in line to be using machines here shortly to get out to deeper water for Lake Trout.. Right now,foot travel is the only recommended way to access this new ice..

The new ice stretches from Houghton Point over to Long Island all the way up to Oak Island and across to the north end of Madeline..

In the bay itself, ice is averaging about a foot now, with about 14 or more inches on the Ashland side..

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Thanks for the update, Jim!!!

Mark

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.