Chequamegon Bay next weekend 6/8

• phoyem
    Minneapolis

Hey! Thinking of fishing the bay next weekend (June 8th). I went out last fall and did well for steelhead / browns / pike around the lighthouse and breakwall plus a few other random areas. Fishing mainly 20-30 fow.

I’ve never fished in the spring. Will trout / salmon species be around this area or will I have to go deeper near bayfield / long island? We’ll be mostly trolling with planner boards. Also, if trout/salmon are slow we might try shallower in the bay for walleye / pike.

Thanks for any info!

brianjkuphal

sounds like you have a good plan,but the water is dirty right now,lots of runoff this year,goodluck.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I am heading up on Tues but the weather will be cold/rainy…Bass have just started moving out of the deep water…early pre spawn conditions at best.

Pike may be your best bet now…there are big Gators up there…

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

I’ve heard that the Smallie fishing up there can be pretty good. Any idea when that might pick up?

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

When the water temps get above 60…
    It is a great fishery but with a Northwest or West wind of any consequence…15 mph or more you can have 4-5 footers coming into the sloughs in a heartbeat in 3-5 fow
    Nobody wants to fish shallow water in that…Watch the weather CLOSE!
    Get a map also…Oak Point extends for several hundred yards with less that 2 fow over the bottom.

phoyem
    Minneapolis

Thanks for the info guys. Right now my plan is to troll around the lighthouse and breaklines north and south of there. Look for warmer water, bait, etc. fishing small spoons and cranks on planers and lead. I’ll let you know how it goes!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.