One Eye but the Right Eye

• 85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Went up to Chequamegon Bay this weekend for the first time. The plan was to explore the Apostle Islands a bit and fish for whatever was biting. We got up at 4:30 AM Friday and headed out to check things out. Things were pretty calm, but the wind was forecast to blow 10-15, so we decided to stay in the bay and see what the day had in store.

We started trolling over near the power plant and it didn’t take long for the fish to find the cranks. We hooked up with a mix of pike, perch and smallies in the morning. Long lining cranks work for us but most other boats in the areas we using boards.

Later in the day we picked up my buddy who we were staying with and his dad. We decided to troll our way out to some deeper water and try to find some trout/salmon. We trolled our way up the Washburn shoreline over to the deepest water in the bay. On the way my buddy hooked into a nice 36″ pike. That fish put up a great fight. Once we got to the deeper water we pulled up the cranks and put out some wobble glows on dipsy divers. It didn’t take long for the first Laker to hit. I grabbed the first rod and brought in my first Lake Superior Lake Trout!!! We spent another hour looking for the second wobble glow victim, but it never happened. We headed back in to get some supper before hitting the bay for the night bite.

We got back on the water and made our way back over by the power plant around 6:30 PM. The first rod that doubled over was a big fish. We were thinking that it was another nice pike. After a 5 minute fight we saw the fish that made the weekend for us. It was the tail of a giant white tip! As Greg slowly reeled the fish toward the boat I reached out the net and scooped her up. After putting her on the Judge she measured 30 and 1/16. After a few quick pics we set her back in the water and let her swim away when she was ready.

The next day we headed out to the Apostle Islands in the morning to look for some Lakers. When we left it was calm. Shortly after arriving the wind kicked up and we had to change our game plan. We pulled some dipsy divers with wobble glow/ spin and glows, spoons and big stick baits, but could not find any takers. I was not really disappointed though, because getting a chance to see the wonders of the Apostle Islands was really what the day was about. I hope everyone gets a chance to see the beauty of them at least once in their life. I know it will be a more frequent trip for me after getting to spend this past weekend up there!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I love that area… thanks for the pics. And CONGRATS on the dandy walleye!

millerman
    Red Wing, MN

Were you able to keep the max amount of fish allowable by law then?

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Nice fish and nice relase!

What a beautiful area.

jim_hudson
    Bayfield, WI

Nice fish!!

It definately has been a great year on the water up here!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.