Chequamegon Washburn Side Ice Report

• jmarksman
    Chequamegon Bay Apostle Islands, WI

Well now that this weather is back on track and making ice again we are starting to venture out to many spots around the Chequamegon Bay. On the Washburn side of the bay out from Bono creek landing as of today there was 3 ½” to 4” of solid clear ice in most spots. The crew has been picking up some small browns fishing from 11 to 20 ftow landing into a few perch as well, fishing has not been lights out, however some catches are being made day to day. Out from Washburn west end park there is still a lead of old ice there that go’s about 80 yards out it is 5 to 7”’s than it thins right out to the new solid clear ice that pushes right out to Houghton point. I was out from the Washburn Coal dock east and out about a mile. I had a solid 3 ½” to 4 all the way out. There are a few pressure cracks that opened up more than a foot and re froze with a ½” of skim. Use caution if you plan to venture out check the ice often. We are expected to be out and fishing full force by the weekend. I will be back out early giving the new Otter Lodge xt 900 a work over in the morning with the negative temps. I may have to turn my heater on for the first time this season. If you have any questions or looking to take and make a trip for some ice action on bay here feel free to pm me any time. And a quick heads up for anyone making the trip with Outdoor Allure being closed the BP gas station here in Washburn sells all the live bait you need. Stay tune for our next fishing report.

John Marksman

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Thanks for the update, John. These cold temps have been a long time coming.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.