chequamegon Bay

• jig_n_pig
    Balsam Lake Wisc.

Was up there last Friday, Sat, and Sunday. Did O.K. but it is still early. First day went to Sand Cut and two of us caught about 35. Biggest was 19 5/8″. Second day went to Kakagon and didn’t do well until late in the day and then it was on fire for about 3 hours. In 3 hours we caught about 30 and had one 20 1/2″. Sunday went back to Kakagon and fished for about 3 hours and nothing so went over to sand cut and in the next 3 hours we boated about 30 pigs. Caught another 20 1/2″ and saw quite a few on beds. I think the weather has made a big difference. Most of the guys we talked to said they were about 3 weeks behind normal as far as they can tell. So, fish are in but not as they are normally this time of year. Sand Cut is real clear and Kakagon is like the Missouri river, very muddy. If you go, I’m sure you won’t get skunked, but Mille Lacs should turn on soon also.
    Tight Lines

blue_perch
    Sparta WI

Nice report. I can’t wait. We are going up on the 11th. I have never been there before. What kinds of baits? Same as Green Bay?

jig_n_pig
    Balsam Lake Wisc.

We caught most on senkos. Best color was black. Weightless and weighted. White flukes. 4″ in both. Couple on Baby 1 minus and none on spinnerbaits, but I hear they do get some on them some times.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

nice trip,
    last time there for me was last year, awesome time.
    Those really are terrific bass, just about never catch one under 17″. too many trips out of state for me in the next month. don’t think i can get up there this year.

Jack

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

You hit it right… I was there a few days before you and no one caught more than a few per boat. There were about 20
    boats packed up in the Sand Cut.
    You really need to watch it motoring there…the water is getting really low around Oak point. We saw a Triton bury it at high speed cutting too close. Dunno if they ever got that boat off there!
    I’m going back tomorrow but the weather is not looking good at all…T Storms and high west winds…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.