State Bowfishing Tourny Start

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Everts Resort was standing room only this afternoon with all the specialized bowfishing rigs coming in for registration, burgers and good time.

I sure met a lot of good guys tonight and some old friends as well. Good old Pat Kirsbaum poking at me about looking for 30 pound bullheads tonight.

It’s amazing how they deck out the flatbottom boats with lights, platforms and generators. You’ll notice some of the photos below have boats with fan on them. Tonight they might use them to keep the mayflies away from the lights, but normally these fans will move a boat over some very shallow water. And if it’s a mud bottom they really don’t need water I’m told.

It’s interesting to me that WI allows fans, but MN doesn’t. Also there’s sound limits for the generator in MN, but none for WI.

The one common theme I picked up from the folks I spoke with was making sure they stayed away from lake/river home and cabins to ensure they don’t bother folks with the noise of the generators. They do a very good job of self policing in this way.

I shot carp once it ’86 and had a hoot using waders and a 20 pound recurve bow. Man has this gear gone to the next level since then! I’ll try to get some shot of them in the morning at weigh in.

Here’s some rigs.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

The registration table.

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

Looks like fun… Wish I were there.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Sure, NOW you say goodbye.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Here’s some photo’s of the weigh in.

One of the things that impressed me and kind of took me by surprise was all the father/son teams. I truly expected a bunch of rowdy guys to turn out.

Not the case at all.

I don’t have names and winning weights for most. Riverbasher will be posting them once he gets a good days sleep! LOL!

Smallest fish entered was a shad that weighed less than one tenth of an ounce. There were actually two and the tie was decided on by a flip of the coin.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Big Longnose Gar was 12.4 pounds.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Awesome to see the bowfishing tourney at Evert’s!

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Quote:

Sure, NOW you say goodbye.

He didnt say goodbye BK, he just waved.

Glad to hear they had a good turn out,cant wait to see all the stats of the winners.

Carp e diem

Quote:

One of the things that impressed me and kind of took me by surprise was all the father/son teams. I truly expected a bunch of rowdy guys to turn out.

Not the case at all.

The demographics of bowfishers continues to change as many sportsmen and women find out just how much fun the sport is.

Heck about a month ago I was on my way home from the cabin and I passed a boat in the shallows with an older gal in a one piece swim suit with one of those huge brim hats and she was holding a bow looking for fish…….My instant reaction was one of WOW is bowfishing becoming mainstream?

Thanks Brian for posting the pictures!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

WOW is bowfishing becoming mainstream?

If a person can buy a pink bow…I’m thinking so…

riverbasher

BIG 6
    1. Carpstalker (Fred) 92 lbs
    2. Tyson Warner 91.8 lbs
    3. Justin Murphy 81 lbs

NUMBERS
    1. Carpstalker 69
    2. Tyson Warner 54
    3. Klagesbowfishing (Justin) 48

Big Fish
    Tyson Warner 23.8 lbs

Big Gar
    CarpeCarpio (Craig) 12.4 lbs

Small Fish (Shad)
    Pete Luke too light for scale!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Thanks for posting the results.

I’m still amazed that a person could hit a what…4 inch? Shad!!

riverbasher

Sometimes we get lucky lol. You’d be amazed at the big ones we miss. Brian you were a great host and hopefully we can hold a tourney, or just a fish shooting get together there more often. I had never shot that section of river before this year, and I love it the more I shoot it. Hope to see you soon

Jeremy

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

Quote:

WOW is bowfishing becoming mainstream?

If a person can buy a pink bow…I’m thinking so…

As my daughter is really getting into it this year, I’ve been finding the are a LOT of high school kids around here that are extreme die-hards with a bow. Been a fun year! I even had to take her bow and give one a smack down. Though, i need to quit now while I’m still shooting 100%

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.