88 680t repower question

• TNewman

I’m contemplating doing a re-power on the 680t that I have absolutely grown to love! I have a line on two choices that will fit the budget. Right now it has a 1989 45hp mariner on it and while I don’t mind it and it will troll down remarkably slow, it doesn’t have tilt/trim on it. It is also a carb engine that doesn’t do so well at elevation. (found out the hard way!)

What would the majority say to either a 2013 60hp Etec, or a 2010 60hp Mercury bigfoot? Both have very low hours on them and the cost would be very close for either. I’ve always been a Mercury guy but have been hearing great things about the Etec engines. Just wondering what the feedback would be.

sjhauge
    Elgin, MN

Etec because of the low end torque.

Bob Becker

I agree with the e-tech. The one thing that you won’t like about it is where the handle from the tiller sits. It will be right in you lap. If you look in the ranger forum there was a guy that put a 5″ fixed setback from TH marine to fix this issue. They are about $130. I just ordered one for my 93 681t that I have a 60 e-tech on. You will get elec start and tilt and trim right on the handle on the e-tech also which is very handy. Let me know if you have any other questions. P.S. I get 31-32 mph out of the e-tech.

sjhauge
    Elgin, MN

I recently re-powered a 1660 pro v with a 60 etec & had to move the driver’s seat about 4″ forward & 8″ right. The previous motor was a 94 Yamaha pro 60 2 stroke. On the etec, the tiller handle is way longer & comes straight out the c/l of the motor. The controls that are in the handle are very nice, especially the gear shift that is away from the motor now. The merc has a big tiller optional handle that is nice but it too is long & I’m not sure of the centerline location. You will have to make some adjustment because of the tiller length & c/l location. The etec is powerful, quiet & good on fuel. I don’t quite have a grip on trolling speed yet, with a 15″ prop I am seeing 33-34 mph & 2.8-2.9 trolling. I had the dealer set the RPM down at idle & I got 2.1-2.3 but the vibration was too much & I will have to have the dealer set the idle rpm back up some & may need to change props to get the trolling at idle speed down.

TNewman

Supposedly the E-tec I’m looking at has the shorter tiller handle so I’m hoping that won’t be an issue. I’m not sure if I want to be messing with the jack plates and such. If I do go with the Merc, it will have the Big tiller handle on it. It is set up for a console now but from what I understand it’s a simple procedure to switch over to tiller.

The main concern on the E-tec is the fact that it is coming from a lodge in Canada and will have no idea to how many times it will have hit the rocks due to “new” fisherman using the boat. It does come with the 2 years of warranty but I don’t think hitting a rock at a resort would be covered. haha.

I would really like to hear from someone that has either motor on the 680t?

hookem_9
    Hastings, MN

Hey Tab, Glad you love the boat! I put a 60hp Etec on my 89, and posted it on here. Loved the Etec, ran great, run about 32mph or so loaded. Is the bigfoot fuel injected? I liked that I could just hit the key and its purring.

TNewman

I believe it is fuel injected but great question for me to ask! Do you have any trouble getting on plane with the Etec? What did you have on prior to that motor?

sjhauge
    Elgin, MN

Just curious as to what prop the etec equipped ranger’s are pulling ?

Bob Becker

I run a 15 pitch and have no trouble getting up on plane. Mine came with a 13 and I was hitting the rev limiter at about half trim and 18 mph. Then tried a 17 pitch and couldn’t get my 681t to plane out at all. The 15 gets me 31-32 mph at 5900 rpm’s

hookem_9
    Hastings, MN

The 89 680T had a 89 Evinrude 60hp. I didn’t run it much as I started swapping out for an Etec. I believe it had a 15 pitch prop on it. I tried a 17, and like Bob’s experience, it was a pooch out of the hole.

sjhauge
    Elgin, MN

That’s pretty much the same as what my Lund is doing. Dealer first put a 17 on it & the hole shot was terrible. Ran 36 on the top end with the 17. Took it back, put a 15 on it. Out of the hole is good. It was running 33-34 @ 5600 on the tach. I don’t trust the tach as the 17 said close to the same rpm as the 15 only faster by 2-3 mph. The 15 is probably the right prop but I may try a 4 blade 13 to get the troll speed down.

TNewman

I’ve pulled the trigger and went with the 60 hp Mercury Bigfoot. I found out that there are virtually no service centers in the Omaha, Lincoln or Fremont area for the Evinrude Etecs. Really surprises me to hear that. Maybe there are a couple but just wasn’t worth the risk of having no service and buying a used engine from a Canadian Lodge IMO. Hoping this is the ticket

Attachments:
    1. Ranger.jpg

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Congrats….hope the motor serves you well for a long time.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

I’ve pulled the trigger and went with the 60 hp Mercury Bigfoot.

Congrats on the OB. Waiting for the Big Tiller handle?

FWIW, you might want to try the 4-blade alum Spitfire prop, I’m happy with it on my rig.

Thinking about adding the SmartCraft SC1000 tach or System Monitor to keep tabs on her?

HRG

TNewman

Not sure if I will add the tach or not. Most likely not this year unless I feel the need to save for one. They don’t look cheap but might be worth it.

What motor are you running the 4 blade spitfire on?

TNewman

I ordered a big tiller handle for it and waiting for it to come in. Hoping it will be here in a couple of days.

Not sure if I will add the tach or not. Most likely not this year unless I feel the need to save for one. They don’t look cheap but might be worth it.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

2012 Mercury 60 4S w/standard gearcase, on a 2013 Lund 1650 Rebel XL tiller.

Attachments:
    1. gunwale-strap.jpg

TNewman

How does it push your rig? Top end, getting on plane, etc.?

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

How does it push your rig? Top end, getting on plane, etc.?

Welllllll, it’s not as “torquey” as the 75 Optimax I had on my prior rig, but it’s OK. I run a 13″ pitch prop, with just me I’m at the 6000 redline @ 34mph, with (2) 200#+ guys it gets on plane in a reasonable distance.

HRG

TNewman

Very nice looking boat! I’m hoping to get over 30 mph but more hoping to get the hole shot to get on plane quicker. Have a 36v system so 4 batteries plus the gas in the rear of the boat. Hoping this helps quite a bit. If not, have to reconfigure the weight somehow. I appreciate the information. Will let you know how it goes. Handle came in today but still waiting on the throttle and shift linkage. Should be in tomorrow.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

What would the majority say to either a 2013 60hp Etec, or a 2010 60hp Mercury bigfoot? Both have very low hours on them and the cost would be very close for either. I’ve always been a Mercury guy but have been hearing great things about the Etec engines. Just wondering what the feedback would be.

If it’s down to those two I say Etec.

Good luck with Mercury.

TNewman

I did see that post, very nice and hoping to achieve similar results as well. The main reason I chose the Mercury is there are simply no service places around my area if something was to go wrong with it. I called three different places and would ask their opinion on where they would take one for repair and none of them could think of any. Plus I’ve always loved Mercury engines. Never left me stranded anywhere yet. (knock on wood!) I’m getting ready to redo the carpet after the motor is finished.

TNewman

Wow!! So happy with the first run out with the BigFoot. Didn’t have the GPS hooked up but pretty sure I’m pushing the 33-35 range. Got on plane right away and ran great. I can’t believe how quiet they are also. No smoke either!

hookem_9
    Hastings, MN

TNewman, Your old boat, this Ranger 680T made an appearance on Larry Smith Outdoors last weekend… About 2 mintes in, at the boat ramp. Couldnt miss it…

TNewman

Hookem I’ll have to try and find which video it was! Thanks for the heads up. Miss that boat.

TNewman

HAHA, that’s the guy that bought it for sure! Nice. Wish I still had his number to give him credit. He said he lived in Mobridge.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

HAHA, that’s the guy that bought it for sure! Nice. Wish I still had his number to give him credit. He said he lived in Mobridge.

What/when was the episode?

HRG

TNewman

I can’t remember to be honest, sorry, I’m not on here a lot and think I just searched thru for a bit and found it.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.