Ranger 680T Repower Project

• hookem_9
    Hastings, MN

I thought I’d post some pictures and share the process of my winter project. Last fall, I picked up a used and weathered 89 Ranger 680T. It sat outside some of its life, and pretty weathered, so the gelcoat was pretty hazy all over. But it was solid boat, and I had big plans for it, fit the bill perfect!

hookem_9
    Hastings, MN

I used some 3M Marine fiberglass restorer product with a buff pad on my drill to bring life back into the gelcoat and make it shine again. WOW, what a difference! I also retired the weather and cracked Ranger seats in favor of some Highback Tempress seats. Sorry, doesn’t show the seats too well.

hookem_9
    Hastings, MN

I found a 2007 Evinrude 60hp Etec to update the powerplant on the Ranger. So off comes the original Evinrude.

hookem_9
    Hastings, MN

The newer Evinrude 60hp Etec tiller handle is several inches longer than the 89 Evinrude. So I installed fixed set back plates to set is back about 5 inches.

hookem_9
    Hastings, MN

Here’s the new power getting bolted up.

hookem_9
    Hastings, MN

Mounted up! Still need to make the final connections, run the wires and fuel line, and mount some gauges. This is where I’m at, post more as I go.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

I had the console version of that boat. You are going to love it!!!

Since it has sat outside in it’s previous life be sure to replace the gas line with new. Those lines get pretty weather checked.

Isn’t it just how amazing how that fiberglass comes back to life with a little elbow grease?

Great job, keep the pictures coming!!

swlund
    Cuba City, WI

Looking good. Amazing what lots of time can do. It will a great fishing when you are done.

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

That’s a awesome resto! You’re going to love that boat!

cmquandt

NICE! KEEP COMING WITH THE PICS! LOOKING SHARP!

hookem_9
    Hastings, MN

Thanks everyone!

I was amazed at how well the fiberglass shined up, kinda hard to tell in the pictures, but it was night a day difference! It has been a learning expirence with the fiberglass, past boats have all been Aluminum, so mounting rod holders etc has been a bit nerveracking! Got a few other plans as well, install a keelguard and eventually a 24V bow trolling motor.

Post more as I go.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Just a bit of advise. Do the keel guard first. That glass will absorb moisture so try and keep it from getting nicked up with the keel guard. You won’t cringe when you beech the boat to get out and take a walk.

Also, rails are a great thing for glass boats. Only drill holes once and you can move the rod holders around to where they work best for you.

walinutz
    Cologne, MN

What Brian said!!!!

Awesome project!!! keep the picks coming.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Lookin’ good. Those old 680T are nice fishing boats.

-J.

castle-rock-clown

Quote:

Here’s the new power getting bolted up.

This is just me, but I would weld some stock to the open channel area to box those supports. Then again I over build everything.

packingheat
    Reads Landing Mn

Great job , I have the very same boat and same color. Could you tell me what you used to buff it out, mine had been stored outside also and needs a good buffing.
    Thanks. Doug

tommy_skarlis

That is really cool – I really enjoyed the photos and how you narrated – looking forward to more! I want to get a vintage Ranger Tiller Model after watching John Campbell fish out of one at the last NWT!!!!

hookem_9
    Hastings, MN

I used 2 differnent products of 3M Marine restorer. The blue flake gunnel and inside, I used a 2 step process, first 3M™ Marine Color/Gloss Restorer, then follow up with 3M Marine wax. On the sides of the hull, I used a 3M marine restorer/wax in a single step product. Both worked very well. I really liked the performance of the 1 step product.

hookem_9
    Hastings, MN

The Etec is mounted up and ready to go!

I finished up a few nights ago. Installed a new fuel line/squeeze bulb as well as the Tach and warning light guage. I also “fished” some wires up to the bow, and installed a trim/tilt switch up there as it didn’t have one originally. Turned out great! I do have a few other steps to do before I splash it in on Pool 3. I need to finish the trailer guide bunks (they are shown in first pricture) they looked kinda ratty, so I recarpetted them last night. I also picked up a keel guard, ande hope to install this week, just in time for the opener!!!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Dang, dude. You’re ending up with a sweet fishing rig. Color me green with envy.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Awesome job. Makes a guy want to track down a used boat that is structurally sound and re-work it to make it modern for a fraction of the price of new.

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

This was a really cool post! Thanks for sharing. The boat restore turned out looking awesome.

p4walleye
    Rochester, MN

Very cool!!! Those older rangers were WAY ahead of their time!!!! beautiful boat!!!

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Great Post

She’s freakin Sweet

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Nice job. Keep the pics coming.

hookem_9
    Hastings, MN

Thanks for kind comments, I’m pretty excited with how it’s turning out.

SO, the MN opener was my target date for the maiden voyage of the Ranger. On Friday, I finished carpeting the side guides, and repainting the brackets, (which I realized I dont have a picture of). I also added a peice of “Sure Step” on the boat side of the splashwell where the tiller handle would possibly contact it. Looks good, and seems plenty thick enough rubber to hold up. With that complete, It was ready to splash in opener morning…

hookem_9
    Hastings, MN

Well, technically I hit my target date? It was ready to hit the water. But I didn’t end up splashing it in on the opener. With how windy and cold it was, my son wasn’t too excited about the idea, and well, neither was I! So with the option of freeze my butt off on the river, or turn up the heat in the shop and install the Keel Guard that I ordered… I went with intalling the keelguard!

I cranked the heat up to 75 degrees in the shop to get the boat hull temp up to an ideal temperature for installation. I searched youtube, and viewed a number of the instalation videos. All stated that it was VERY important was to make sure the temp was over 70 degrees or the adhesive may not hold up. I gave it a few hours to get to the hull to temp, then started the installation.

I took my time in each step, holding in place and marking outline, masking it off, scuffing, cleaning, and finally after about an hour, I was ready to install the keelguard.

I went with light grey colored model to try to match the hull color.

hookem_9
    Hastings, MN

Maiden Voyage!!!

The Ranger was splashed in on Sunday after lunch. With a twist of the key, the Etec was purrring to a nice idle, warming up while I parked the truck. It ran great! The 680 was smooth and stable, I’m impressed with this old classic hull.

The boat ran 30mph upstream and 34mph downstream, it was running 6k rpm no problem, and I did happen to test the rev limiter a few times playing with the trim.

Does 32mph seem in the ballpark for a setup like this? The motor has a Doel-fin Hydrofoil on it, and I have a few other props to play with, seems like the motor height is pretty good?

so I’ll post more, when I know more.

We did manage to get some fishing in too!
    Got about a 1/2 hour of fishing in, just south of Prescott, before the cold wind started wearing us down. We’ll give it another shot soon. Thanks,

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.