80lbs 24V 60″ Terrova or 55lbs 12V 54″ on Alumacraft Classic 165?

• Justin Tischer

Which one? 80lbs 24V 60″ Terrova or 55lbs 12V 54″ on Alumacraft Classic 165? People have been telling me to go with an 80lbs thrust 24V 60″ shaft vs the 55lbs thrust 12V 54″ shaft. I’m worried the 24V trolling motor will add too much tongue weight or weight to the boat with the extra battery. I want longer trolling times and Ipilot or I pilot link. I currently have a 55lbs thrust 12V 54″ shaft Powerdrive on the boat that came with it. The owner took his Terrova off, he had the 12V version on his. Would I be disappointed with the 12V vs 24V version? I fish lakes only right now.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Assuming this is a new to you boat? If yes, I’d say run the PowerDrive for at leat a few trips and make sure (1) the 12V has enough power for you and (2) the 54 inch shaft does not pop out of the water in any kind of waves.

If both work on the PowerDrive, you should be ok with the 54″ Terrova. A good (new) 29 or 31 series deep cycle battery has a lot of run time on a 16 foot boat.

-J.

stevenoak

One other choice is 54″, 24v., 80#. I have a 175 Alumacraft that is that exc. 60″. I almost always have it up at least 6”. If you fish mostly deep water with big waves, you can bury the extra. But if you fish shallow a lot. Especially if you bass fish, casting out the front. The motor sticking up can be in the way. Again, if you drag cranks and crawler harnesses. Or cast out the back and sides more, no problem. But think I may go shorter if I were to replace it. As I near 70 years old, I’m not fishing in 3 footers anyway.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

One other choice is 54″, 24v., 80#. I have a 175 Alumacraft that is that exc. 60″. I almost always have it up at least 6”. If you fish mostly deep water with big waves, you can bury the extra. But if you fish shallow a lot. Especially if you bass fish, casting out the front. The motor sticking up can be in the way. Again, if you drag cranks and crawler harnesses. Or cast out the back and sides more, no problem. But think I may go shorter if I were to replace it. As I near 70 years old, I’m not fishing in 3 footers anyway.

I prefer my motor up 6 inches so I can see the head around others in my boat. The kid can stand perfectly in the way of that thing no matter what angle or position I’m in.

tpmorgz
    Central Iowa

We started with a 55 on our 16′ Lund and struggled in the wind. Stepped up to an 80 and made a huge difference, no more getting pushed around in the wind. We also have a 60″ shaft that is helpful in strong wind/waves even on moderate sized lakes.

keith christianson

I have a Alumacraft 165 Navigator tiller. I have a 55# thrust MinnKota auto pilot. I have 2 group 29 deep cycle batteries in parallel. I never have run out of battery with this set up. I am interested in this post as I’m considering upgrading to a 55# or 80# Terrova trolling motor for the spot lock feature.

So those who have a 80# thrust trolling motor, on a normal day how long do your batteries last before you run out of juice?

I could buy the 55# terrova and run it in parallel with the two batteries and basically have what I have today. I’m on the fence if I need the additional thrust considering the run time will be reduced.

Greg D

Have a 1675 Lund Explorer with a 90 4 stroke. Replaced the control board 3 times with the 12v powerdrive.
    Repair tech said to go to 24 volt to fix the issue.
    Never had a problem since. I can get 2 days on the 24 volt; its works less. It was worth the extra 68 pound battery.

stevenoak

I’m in the process of motorizing my kayak. Just for long runs to fishing spots in the gulf too far to peddle. Since it will only have one battery, I have been doing a ton of research on battery life. When deciding motor size what I’ve found, a smaller motor that needs to run at 80% compared to a larger motor at 50% will use more battery to go the same distance. This is my understanding of several articles I’ve read anyway. With that in mind the 80# makes sense. Also, higher motor speeds and smaller motors build heat, big killer of electronics.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Just put a new 80lb. 60” Terrova on my crestliner 1850 today. With the smaller boat you would probably be fine with the 54” and 55 lbs. then again the extra power can’t hurt. Scheels had the80lb. 60” aat almost 300.00 off and if you use a Scheels card another 100+ back in gift cards. Even more if you open a new Scheels card. Have to get 1 more new deep cycle battery before I can get out and test it out. Really looking forward to the spot lock

stevenoak

Also, if you use a Scheels card to purchase electronics. They extend the warranty a year or two. They often have a sweet deal on Terrova/Helix combo that you save a few hundred dollars.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Also, if you use a Scheels card to purchase electronics. They extend the warranty a year or two. They often have a sweet deal on Terrova/Helix combo that you save a few hundred dollars.

You are correct. Use of the card doubles the manufactures warranty. I think that is on all products. I got that on the batteries I purchased as well.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.