8 More Years of Excellent Fishing

• FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

For the Mississippi River pools 2-5 we currently have the largest biomass of walleye.

This as a result of high water springs which promote successful spawning conditions.

I cannot speak for pools further downstream but would doubt that conditions aren’t similar in creating or building the walleye population.

Female walleye die at or before reaching 8yrs old and males may occasionally make it to 9yrs of age. Sippi is UNIQUE to other fisheries in MN in this respect.

What this means for 2023 to 2030 is the largest quantity of walleye having another successful spawn which will populate the river with yet another record class.

For 8 years to come, excellent fishing to be had! I question how high can the bar be raised.

Just something for y’all to look forward to.

Cheers.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Pool 5 has kicked out more nice fish for me the past 2-3 years then I remember at any point in my ~20+ years fishing the river. Growing up it seemed more rare to pull fish that were beyond eaters out there, and only dink saugers.

With how busy Pool 4 has gotten, I have found myself hitting Pool 5 more and more often.

tim hurley

Gotta give the DNR some credit, or skip the blaming when the population cycles down.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Gotta give the DNR some credit, or skip the blaming when the population cycles down.

What?

This is a non managed river.

No stocking.
    And the dnr has not recommended lower limits. But they did lower them by popular demand.

I’m not sure what specifically you suggest the dnr did to get to where we are today. Feel free to share and I’ll give credit where due. Keep it sippi related only please tim. This thread is intended for celebrating current state and what’s to come. Not anything else.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tim hurley wrote:</div>

What?

This is a non managed river.

No stocking.
    And the dnr has not recommended lower limits. But they did lower them by popular demand.

I’m not sure what specifically you suggest the dnr did to get to where we are today. Feel free to share and I’ll give credit where due. Keep it sippi related only please tim. This thread is intended for celebrating current state and what’s to come. Not anything else.

The MNDNR has done some positive things to help keep the fishery healthy. I still think more enforcement of existing regulations would be helpful (snagging big flatheads in the Spring is an issue, possession limits for perch in Spring and walleye/sauger year round could be more closely enforced).

The changes to the panfish limits should substantially help in the long run. Bluegills, Perch, and Crappie congregate in predictable areas in ever dwindling backwaters that are really easy to pick off. I think the MNDNR got these right.

In reference to walleyes/saugers, the MNDNR has done a pretty solid job “leaving well enough alone.” Is this a strategy? Maybe not as you say, but it’s still been a net positive decision.

As far as the bag limits go, I was fine with the reduction…even if the Science didn’t necessarily support it. Being proactive isn’t necessarily bad especially considering this fishery is “managed” by multiple states making legislative changes that much more difficult to do in a timely manner.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Bucky, I agree on all accounts. In regards to walleye, leaving well enough alone- that was my point to Tim – not a dig to DNR.

boone
    Woodbury, MN

For the Mississippi River pools 2-5 we currently have the largest biomass of walleye.

This as a result of high water springs which promote successful spawning conditions.

I cannot speak for pools further downstream but would doubt that conditions aren’t similar in creating or building the walleye population.

Female <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleye die at or before reaching 8yrs old and males may occasionally make it to 9yrs of age. Sippi is UNIQUE to other fisheries in MN in this respect.

What this means for 2023 to 2030 is the largest quantity of <em class=”ido-tag-em”>walleye having another successful spawn which will populate the river with yet another record class.

For 8 years to come, excellent fishing to be had! I question how high can the bar be raised.

Just something for y’all to look forward to.

Cheers.

In addition to spawning success, what roll do you think food availability plays in sustaining a huge biomass of walleyes and saugers? This is probably a good question for Nick. If the fry don’t have whatever they eat, maybe that year class will be poor in spite of favorable water levels and temperatures. Maybe that’s never an issue. Or what happens if the shad have a few poor year classes in a row, does the walleye population drop as a result? I’m guessing it’s a combination of factors that results in strong walleye and sauger populations.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Roughly 15-20 years ago I was working for a fella at a bait shop on Pool 4. It was fall and the bite was picking up…then for about 2 weeks ANY one that put a hook down could catch walleyes if not limit out. The gut pails in the fish cleaning house were filled each and every night and sometimes emptied twice a day.

Then the bite stopped. I asked what happened? I was told when there’s that many people fishing and taking out that many fish, well, it’s fished out (referring to the dam area).

I was concerned so I called the Lake City DNR office and talked to a fella that did the netting and trapping on Pool 4. Certainly he had his finger on the pulse of the river. He surprised me. “The fishery is just as good as it was 20 years ago” he said. How can this be? Limits for pretty much everyone, then very few fish coming in?

It wasn’t until I dropped a camera down in the dam area I learned what an awesome fish hatchery Pool 4 (the river really was). There were without exaggerating hundreds of thousands of reflective eyes down there. From the depths of near the dam to the backside of wing dam #3. It was truly amazing.

So now that I knew the fish were still there, I came to the conclusion the reason they weren’t biting was because of the fabled “lock jaw”. I don’t know, water temp dropped or rose, flow picked up or decreased, maybe the level was changing or they just didn’t like the color of baits they were seeing. I really don’t know.

Where am I going with this? This might not be a “managed” fishery, but (mostly) our MN DNR spends a crap load of time watching trends in population of not only walleyes, but our beloved whiskered fish and white bass as well.

Now if the WI DNR could just get all the way on the band wagon…

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

When I gained the ability to identify fish species via sonar in cold water months I began understanding what constitutes a hot bite. 1 in 10 walleye bite during a HOT HOT bite. 9 of them 10 don’t.

A bad bite is around 1 in 500.

Takes a lot of fish to put up the numbers we do some days. And a LOT of fish to catch a few on them very rough days.

What a great fishery.

tim hurley

Bucky made some great points that I don’t need to repeat, the second part of my post was that WHEN the cycle is on the downside don’t blame the DNR.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Bucky made some great points that I don’t need to repeat, the second part of my post was that WHEN the cycle is on the downside don’t blame the DNR.

Lol.

No, I think most people showing up to catch fish this year and don’t- are blaming the ice fisherman on pepin.
    At least that’s the most common theme I’ve seen of mis information.
    They’re dead wrong.
    But, they don’t know how to catch a fish in the best fisheries in the state so they gotta play victim and blame someone. Suppose to those who don’t know any different they look smart. To the rest of us…. just see ignorant victim mentality.

critter 1

come on Bucky everyone knows there are no fish in Lower 4 and pool five..

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

come on Bucky everyone knows there are no fish in Lower 4 and pool five..

Ahhh yes.

Typo on my part. I meant Pool 4. Within sight of the dam, or a minimum of 35 other boats nearby. Both staple requirements to catch them waytogo

eyeguy507
    SE MN

sometimes the reason there are 35 boats in certain areas is because of flow. rollers opened yesterday and there were less than that dam side hanging on for dear life on the edges so props to them. My 24v terrova was maxed out in about 80% of the spots I tried. you know its going to be a fun time when your 1 ounce jigs can’t stay tight to bottom! going to need 5 ouncers this weekend doah

riverdewey
    St. Paul, MN

Typo on my part. I meant Pool 4. Within sight of the dam, or a minimum of 35 other boats nearby. Both staple requirements to catch them

LOL. Thanks for the morning chuckle!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.