6 inch auger ok for wheel house?

• mrpike1973

Mostly day trips is our plan and we only fish panfish this should work?

Coletrain27

If that’s what you have and don’t want to buy a 8” then it would work.

Dan
    Southeast MN

I don’t think that’ll be a problem at all, especially if you’re exclusively targeting panfish. You’ll be able to fit plenty of accidental northern and walleye through that hole too.

AK Guy

Agreed. I’d go bigger only if you fish in the same spot multiple days. A 6” hole can close in on you pretty fast.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Will it work, sure. Would I want to fish out of 6 inch holes for a weekend well no. But I run 10 inch holes in my wheel house and would not go back. Pick up a 8 inch bit for whatever your using. Cold nights the holes tend to close up like AK mentioned.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I never fish out of anything larger than a 6″ hole. Like you I mostly panfish, but the times I’ve walleye fished or ran a tip up I’ve never had a issue either. If after some time you notice the hole closing in some I’d just run the auger quickly through the hole and you will be good to go.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

A 6″ SM Lazer hand auger is all I’ve used when I’ve hoofed it into Saganaga to fish for lakers, so I’d think you’d be fine for pannies in a wheelhouse for the day.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Been using a 6″ for the last several years for both panfish and walleye fishing in a flipover. Like others have said, if that’s what you have and don’t want to upgrade, it’ll work just fine.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

6 will work fine. The only issue will be freeze up if you sit for more then a day. But that’s something that can be taken Care of as well.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

sheez………..you guys must catch ALOT of little fish being happy with a 6 inch hole!!!!!!!1 devil rotflol 8 inch here.

sorry, BK told me to stir the pot!!!!!!! devil rotflol whistling

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Be careful if it’s a hand auger that you can turn it in the corners of your house if it’s a hard sided permanent house.

Coletrain27

Be careful if it’s a hand auger that you can turn it in the corners of your house if it’s a hard sided permanent house.

thats a good point. and not sure if a hand auger will even be long enough. do they even make extensions for hand augers?

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>3rdtryguy wrote:</div>

thats a good point. and not sure if a hand auger will even be long enough. do they even make extensions for hand augers?

Yup, I do but the extension goes right into your cordless drill😁 adjustable extension built in👍

Drill/Auger Combination

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.