50ah lithium enough kayak/pond boat?

• stevenoak

My 11-year-old Optima 34 blue top is finally getting tired on a long day. I’d buy another in a heartbeat but nearing 70 with bad shoulders I’d like to drop some weight. Need it for my kayak with a Helix 7 and Power Pole Micro Spike. Also use it for a flatbottom on 3-to-15-acre strip mines, with the same equipment plus a 40# Trolling motor. Most days I fish 4 to 6 hours, very seldom 8. The Optima I believe is rated at 55ah. Lithium is said to have more power.
    Far as brand, looking mid-range. After some research, some lesser priced batteries have pretty good reviews. Some of the high$$ batteries get unfavorable reviews for prorated warranty, customer service, available inventory to handle warranty claims etc. Will get used 50 to 70 days a year. If I have good luck, my big boat needs a couple next spring. Weight not so much an issue. Having gotten average of 12 years from my last 5 blue tops, that could go either way. Till they have been around a few years, not sure we will know if any of them are worth the cost.

Cam White

Lithiums don’t have more power, you get more of the useable ah out of lithium than sla. I distribute amped in Canada, in a 55ah, you’re getting pretty much 90 percent use of the ah at 100 percent, unlike sla which taper off to 60,50,40 and your power level drops. More expensive up front, I sell a lot of them to yak guys up here. Lithium would be a solid choice for you.

FryDog62

I had a 50ah Lithium on my kayak the first year. Fished a 500 acre lake for usually 5-6 hours at a time, never ran out of juice. Only went to a 100ah last year when I started venturing out to bigger bodies of water and potentially to the Gulf this winter.

You probably know this, but you mentioned a Helix 7 and PP. I would run them on a second battery than the trolling motor (otherwise you will likely encounter interference). I use an 18ah for that… could maybe get by with a 12ah just fine.

The weight difference with Lithium is such a refreshing thing after tossing a Blue Top Optima AGM around in my bass boat for several years. That’ll give you shoulder problems right there…

I’ve had Dakota Lithium, Amped Outdoors and an Amazon Special… If I had to re-do my yak or if I buy another bass boat – I’m leaning Amped Outdoors.

stevenoak

Fry dog, never heard how your yak faired in the hurricane a year or 2 ago. I set my Hobie up for a motor when the only house we could find was 5 miles from my favorite fishing spots in Florida. Since then, the lady we rented from last year that sold the house. Recommended us to a neighbor that was putting a house into VRBO. Apparently, I was pretty well known in the neighborhood as the old guy with the grey beard that picked up all the trash in the canal every day when I went through. So, I will not need a motor. So, it will be the Helix for now, and the PP if the $200 dedicated battery for it ever blows crap I will hook it up. PP draws very little. My thought is about a 23ah lithium for the yak, then a 80 or 100 lithium for pond boat motor and pp. Then run the Helix off the 23ah alone. Hard to find consistent review on lithium battery brands. Given I have an older HB charger in my 1850 Alumacraft, and the great luck I’ve had with Bluetops. Let time tell if lithiums pan out for longevity and customer service. For under $700 I can replace both t.m. batteries with Bluetops. As mentioned, I’ve got 10+ years out of my last to pairs. Weight is no issue, usually just me in the boat. Fishing, not in a boat race.

FryDog62

Sounds like a plan Steve – nice to hear you’re known and the guy that cleans up the area. With the gray beard and a spear to collect garbage, they may call you Triton the trash god!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1894.jpeg

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.