5 Biggest Fish!

• IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

Did you guys see the weights of AIM Tournament this weekend!?!? The Big Pond is loaded with MONSTER fish!! Wonder what the DNR thinks about these numbers.. coffee

Attachments:
    1. MilleAIM610P1.jpg

2. MilleAIM610P3.jpg

3. MilleAIM610P2.jpg

4. AIMWTChart.jpg

Smoker
    Blaine, Minnesota

The length to weight chart that was used, anyone know how those numbers were determined?

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

The length to weight chart that was used, anyone know how those numbers were determined?

I was told those numbers are calculated from the heaviest weight that length of fish can weigh at a given time throughout the year. Obviously these fish don’t weigh what the chart says. Especially after the spawn, but its the chart they use all year long and for all bodies of water.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

“Wonder what the DNR thinks about these numbers”

They’d probably say they are irrelevant because they’re not based on official drn data.

mike-west
    Amery, WI

Yep, those are theroretical weights
    I don’t beleive many Mille Lacs 28″ Walleyes would weigh in at 9.09#
    Never the less, there’s plenty of bigger fish for sure.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Here is Aim weight conversion if anyone wants to look.

AIM Weights

MTT Hunters Point classic held on Friday and Saturday, also had 40lb bags daily, however those weights are a bit different. A 26″ fish weighs 6.0lbs and a 26.25″ weighs 6.25lbs on the conversion. As you go up in length the weight goes up accordingly. So a 28″ weighs 8lbs. Our boat had a 27″ average fish on Friday and we weighed 35.50 lbs for those 5 fish. The winner had over 80lbs in 2 days, third place was 75lbs. 10 fish!

Regardless the fishing on Mille Lacs is on fire, great time to gain confidence in catching walleyes or sharpen your favorite technique to catch them.

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

I finished 40th and had 36.12 pounds in the AIM event on Sunday. They fishing was ridiculous!

So much fun. I did get the wind let out of the sails as I thought 36lbs would have been good enough for a top 10 at least. But to get punted back into 40th with such a good bag was tough.

But that’s the way it goes. Those guys that put up almost 45 crushed it! My hats off to those guys.

Just goes to show you the quality of fish in the lake. Like Cal said, if you want to really catch fish, drag a leech around or crawler on the flats. you’ll have a hayday. Our pre-fishing was 40lb days each day.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Honestly those 28″ fish are maybe 7 pounds right? Even on the rivers, it would be hard pressed to get a 9 pound post spawn fish right now. Reason I ask is buddy’s that fish it say the fish are chunky but pics they send me don’t confirm this. Keep feeding em boys!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I believe they use a similar length to weight conversion in the other walleye tournaments out there as well, like on the MTT tour. It can help you when the fish are underweight (like right now post spawn) and it can hurt you when the fish are heavy (like in the fall). And people think the walleye fishing is poor out there because they can’t keep any.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Yeah, the charts are what they are and it’s the same for everyone, so it really doesn’t matter. The walleyes I have caught this year are not skinny by any means. They aren’t super fat either, but I think they are about average for this lake. No ciscos in ML so they aren’t going to get super fat.

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

I would agree…. I caught a 28.5″ and there is no way that fish was 9.62lbs as the conversion chart AIM gives out says I get for weight. I would have said 7.5-8.5lbs.

But we don’t think of it like that. We’re all on the same playing field when it comes to inches to weight which I am fine with. I know that fish is off swimming instead of bobbing around in my live-well and running the risk of dying even though weight tournaments do a pretty good job at keeping fish alive.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

No ciscos in ML so they aren’t going to get super fat.

There are tullibee in Mille Lacs…same as cisco. Maybe not as many as there were in the past, but still fair numbers.
    You’d think the larger walleyes would find some, the muskies I’m fairly sure do. Maybe not until fall when they congregate to spawn?

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>sticker wrote:</div>

There are tullibee in Mille Lacs…same as cisco. Maybe not as many as there were in the past, but still fair numbers.
    You’d think the larger walleyes would find some, the muskies I’m fairly sure do. Maybe not until fall when they congregate to spawn?

True, but not near the numbers as say Erie…

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Walleyestudent Andy Cox wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>sticker wrote:</div>

True, but not near the numbers as say Erie…

Definitely not the same numbers as Erie, but a LOT more than just a few years ago. This last winter was probably the most tullibees I’ve saw and heard about people catching. Either way, this gets brought up every year, “but they are just so skinny!”. These fish always look like it in May and June. There are lots of walleyes out there, and plenty of bait to keep them fed. For now…

BigWerm
    SW Metro

And not to mention the SMB, Pike and Musky! All three of my PB for those species have come out of ML, and will be tough to top (21.5″ SMB, 40″ pike and 56″ musky).

404 ERROR
    MN

Leaked 2018 Mille Lacs Survey…

Attachments:
    1. 2018-Mille-Lacs-DNR-Survey.jpg

404 ERROR
    MN

We all know the saying, if it’s on the internet…

Attachments:
    1. 2018-Mille-Lacs-DNR-Survey.jpg.png

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

A side note here that the rock & weed fish on the pond were significantly heavier than the mud fish. Regardless of actual weight of either, I highly doubt that anyone wouldnt enjoy catching mid 20 inch fish all day !

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

I hope to do that very thing starting on the 16th

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

Have the day off tomorrow so taking my 15yo son over to the pond to give it a go. Was gonna troll Superior but the smallie reports are too much. He loves to cast for smallies so that’s the early plan.
    Heading out of Fishers and gonna fish then East side for a few hours. Then head to the flats and spend a few hours on eyes.
    Hoping to best my sons PB on smallies of 18.5”.
    Need to be back to Esko by 5:30 so will miss the evening bite, bummed.
    Report will follow.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I also had heard that the tulibees/cisco made a comeback in recent years on ML. I’m surprised they are still in there in good numbers though. They are a coldwater species of trout and need deep, well oxygenated, cooler water to thrive. Its a good sign though, they are the reason the muskies, pike, and big walleyes do so well.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.