48 Pounds First Time On The River

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

It was Scott’s first time on the Big River and one he might not forget soon.

He was a quick study in how things were going to go down if we were lucky enough to hook into the river’s mighty flathead. It didn’t take long and it was a rod bending “fish ON”!

Eight to nine inch suckers was the bait of choice tonight.

Scott ended up missing two fish (which might have been gar) and landing three. The first was a 48, the second was a 17 and the third showed 28 on the digital scale after subtracting the net weight.

Although it’s nice to get a big fish out of the way right at the start of a trip, it raises the bar so high that a decent 28 pound fish looks small.

BTW The Legend of Tuskahanna, maiden of the crows…lives on. )

Attachments:
    1. Scott-48.jpg

2. Scott-28-1.jpg

3. Scott-28.jpg

craig s

Nice !!
    I’ve only been out twice at night for flatties and was skunked hah

What’s this legend all about?

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Great Looking Flathead, Scott and Brian.
    Jack

wicathunter11
    Ferryville WI

I’ve only been out twice at night for flatties and was skunked

You’re not the only one. My first night last week I caught a 27.5 inch walleye on a bluegill and the second night all I got was covered head to toe in mosquito bites.

BK do you have a lot of setline fisherman up there? Seems like everyone I talk to around here knows one who gives away mass amounts of flatheads caught on trotlines. Kinda grinds my gears mad

skunkboy
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

“Although it’s nice to get a big fish out of the way right at the start of a trip, it raises the bar so high that a decent 28 pound fish looks small.”

Funny you should make that statement Brian. A few of us that fish Mendota regularly have what we call the “Mendota Syndrome”. We catch so many large channel cats there…15 to 25 pounds…that when we catch a 12-15 pounder, we just toy with it at the boat and say “oh, it’s only a 12 pounder”. Now really, how many guys catch 12 pounders regularly? Someone could say we are disappointed with a 12 pounder but we aren’t. Took a first timer to Mendota and after a couple hours, he caught the “syndrome” himself…heard him saying “oh, it’s only a 12 pounder” just that soon.

That’s a nice looking string of flatties right there. I’ve gotten a 35, 24 and a few 10-12 pound flatties in the last two weeks. They are hungry right now. Have had many of my baits just smashed but not taken as well. Them flatties can be so frustrating at times but well worth the wait.

L8R…Ken

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

BK do you have a lot of setline fisherman up there? Seems like everyone I talk to around here knows one who gives away mass amounts of flatheads caught on trotlines. Kinda grinds my gears

WI has some mostly in it’s lower stretches I’ve heard but it’s not legal in MN… and I’m ok with that. )

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.