4 wheeler vs. Snowmobile

• Fluffchucker
    NW Wisconsin

What do you guys prefer for ice fishing? I’m torn because I know that after a big snowstorm, the four wheeler might well become useless. But the four wheeler can also be used during the other parts of the year for recreation/hunting.

With a snowmobile, you’re limited to wintertime usage. However, I would be less concerned with traveling conditions in snow.

The biggest kicker is that I’m not looking to spend a fortune on this. Whichever I decide to buy, I’d like to keep my budget around the $2,500 mark.

If you had to pick between only one of these toys, which one would it be and why? I’m sure this topic has been discussed at length, and so I’m sorry for bringing up what is likely not a new topic.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

With a budget of $2500, I would look for a sled. I don’t have a useful “need” for a ATV as I have a small lot and don’t hunt.

FDR

Whopper Stopper
    Forest Lake MN

I have a fairly new 700 Yamaha grizzly. I have been looking three years for a fishing sled. I use the ATV all summer mostly for work at my cabin. Even with chains it can be a very short season when used on the lakes ice fishing.

WS

Kent thompson
    Foreston mn

I really perfer the wheeler myself as in most years it can be used almost 12 months out of the year.

Attachments:
    1. image3.jpg

broadwaybob
    Janesville, WI

With a budget like that, finding a wheeler will be tricky and you will need to move on one in a moment’s notice as there will be a line if you wait even an hour. A sled will be easier to find at that price but you will need to be careful in selecting a sled. Liquid cooled sleds need snow in the tunnel to cool the engine and the track needs snow to keep the hyfax cool. The older sleds with air cooling may work out best for ice fishing when snow is minimal. I am fortunate to have both but prefer the wheeler down in southeast Wisconsin.

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

Consider a three wheeler (cheap on CL) and mount skis on the front, chains on the back. You’re looking maybe a grand at the most and you will have some bucks left over for a wheeler savings fund for next season.

Nate Northup
    Madison, WI area

How much does it cost to put treads on a 4-wheeler? I’m about a year away from my student loans being paid off and finally will be able to afford a toy! Seems like treads would make it a guaranteed 4-season deal…just not sure what the price-point would be. I like the 3-wheeler idea too.

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

$4K new. Some used ones on CL running $2.6K

Gary Sanders
    Lake Wisconsin

Depends on where you live and what else you might use it for. In South Central Wisconsin you’re nuts to pick a sled over a 4 wheeler as rarely is there too much snow to prohibit use of it and you can use year round. Jan 2nd and we still don’t have any snow…. couple inches on the way but sold one of my sleds and the other hasn’t been off the trailer in two years other than to be serviced.

Where you live it’s a different scenario and a tougher call. Got one for sale in your price range if your interested. ’02 Arctic Cat ZL 550 electric start, reverse, studded track, hand warmers & 3468 miles. Starts & runs fine.

Attachments:
    1. 2012-01-21-15.21.33.jpg

captddh
    Cannon Falls, MN

If its just for ice fishing,..a sled is usually the best if there is snow. It is faster and It is also safer on thin ice as the weight is more distributed. You can cross pretty good sized cracks in an emergency. An air cooled engine to avoid cooling problems in low snow is good. A track with studs to help the hyfax lubricate and for traction good to have.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.