4 wheeled walker???

• Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

Well my soon to be 98 year old Dad (the 26th) who broke his back (compression fracture of L-1) before Memorial Day is doing good. I finally got to spend 2 hours in my boat yesterday. Today he walked around the entire garden using his cane. My hand on a gate belt of course. I thought a trip to the mailbox was special. Now PT recommends a 4 wheeled walker. I saw a lady today at Blain’s F&F using a “Nitro” walker, she liked it. She got it on Amazon. After a Google search – WOW – I can order it from Japan with free shipping $59. Same exact thing from Amazon $250. What a strange world we live it.

Anybody have experience with a 4 wheeled walker? Needs big wheels is what I’m guessing.

Our church has a thrift store with a room full (old school) of medical stuff. I will look there. I can’t see buying it from some place overseas. Even to save $200.

robby
    Quad Cities

I am a paramedic and see these often. The ones with a seat and bicycle style hand brakes are pretty nice. Most are pretty light weight. I do not know any information on brands, etc.. Are there any Occupational Therapists, home health Nurses, or Nursing Home CNAs on this site that could help?

wirivereyes
    Central WI

Follow the PT’s recommendations.

B-man

On our last fishing trip (Kewaunee) I saw a guy getting around on the pier with what looked like a great four wheel walker.

It was much higher than a normal one, and had flat pads for his arms to rest on with bicycle style break handles.

He was able to walk fully standing up, not bent over like most people you see.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

At the home where my 96 year old FIL lives a few people have ones like B-man described. They look like a more comfortable to use walker.
    Elenker is the brand name on the ones I’ve seen. My SIL is looking into one for her dad.

queenswake
    NULL

I second working with a Physical or Occupational Therapist to get him fitted for the right one for his needs. Don’t just wing it on your own.

jwellsy

My wife uses a walker for several reasons. Anyway, most of the PT’s I’ve talked to don’t like 4 wheeled walkers because they aren’t as stable as a 2 wheel walker. My wife has had her 4 wheel walker get away from her a couple of times, and never with her 2 wheel walkers. 2 wheel walkers do need tennis balls on the 2 solid legs so it’s quieter and slides easier. She uses a 4 wheel walker inside the house so she can carry stuff on the seat. We keep a 2 wheel walker on the front porch to get back & forth to the car. And we keep a 2 wheel walker in the car to use when we go somewhere. It just makes it easier to leave the porch walker sitting in the driveway than always putting it in/out of the car.

We also have grab bars inside & outside of each house entrance door and grab bars next to the bathtub.

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

Pa uses a 2 wheeled walker and now mostly a cane in the house. Looking for something he can walk down to the lake or at least down the 1000′ driveway to the cottages.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

The PT should have a supplier that they could recommend and I believe insurance would pay for it.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

This is the one they’re getting for my Father in law They’re checking on getting a Rx from his therapist for insurance.

ELENKER folding Rollator Mobility with Backrest-Armrests for 189.00 on amazon

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Check with your American Legion club, and the VFW, and the Salvation Army. A lot of times they keep them just in case people need them. A lot of churches keep that stuff to. You’ll be surprised how much of that stuff is around for people just like me who had a knee operation, then you don’t need all that stuff anymore, I hope. But be careful, if he’s not on the brakes, those things can get away from you real fast.

jon_wbl

Biggest thing with any walker is making sure it will adjust to the correct height. Not all of them adjust the same.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.