24v Trolling Motor Questions

• jake47
    WI

I happened into a really good deal on a 70# 24v Powerdrive V2 with iPilot. It’s a little big for my 14’ aluminum boat but the price was too hard to pass up. So now I’m in the process of rigging it up and have a few questions:

1) When hooking up the batteries in series to get 24v, am I able to hook my Deck Hand anchor up to a single battery and keep it 12v? I believe this isn’t recommended for electronics, but unsure if this would be an issue.

2) It appears that my front compartment can only handle (2) 24 series batteries. Am I going to totally regret this or should it be ok since my boat is so small? Lake fishing only with access to power at night. If I move to 27 series, I think one will need to be outside of the compartment taking up valuable floor space.

djshannon
    Crosslake

When I restored my 16ft Lund I installed a 24V Power Drive. I located two group 27 batteries mid-boat for weight distribution. It worked pretty well but you are always stepping over them like a bench seat.

Her is a picture

Attachments:
    1. DSCF6914-scaled.jpg

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

1. yes you can hook to a single battery for 12v.
    2. try the group 24, I run a terrova 24v on my 16.5′, run group 27 and have all day and then some run time pulling spinners at 1mph with terrova. I think you will be surprised at run time of a 24v on your 14′ boat.

Weight wise, you may have to play with weight distribution a bit possibly by re-organizing how/where you keep your stuff.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

am I able to hook my Deck Hand anchor up to a single battery and keep it 12v?

Yes you can do this. Hook it to one battery.

(2) 24 series batteries. Am I going to totally regret this

Your boat is so small that the 24 will be fine. Just be careful to not have your trolling motor turned to the side when you hit JACKRABBIT (aka, instant speed 10). It’ll react so fast you’ll throw anyone not prepared out of the boat.

I’d bet you could hit 4 MPH with that trolling motor setup. Little excessive. You might regret the extra weight, but that’ll be for you to decide.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Just want to point out, if you do end up regretting the weight of 2 batteries you should be able to run that powerdrive off of 12V, you just won’t get the full 70# thrust. I did this in my previous boat temporarily while shopping batteries and it worked fine in a 17′ pro Sport, I could do whatever I needed to. Of course it wasn’t full power but I could troll on the lake. I imagine with the size of your boat you might be okay to run this way.

jake47
    WI

It’ll react so fast you’ll throw anyone not prepared out of the boat.

Sounds like a good idea when my buddy is mouthing off up front, lol.

Thanks for all the help. I may have figure out a way to weasel 27s in. I bought a couple today so I’ll try this weekend.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.