2,4-d recommendation

• sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I am relatively new to using 2,4-d. Most of my weed control has been with Gly. Which one of these is better for food plots? Mostly killing pigweed, water hemp and ragweed in corn and winter rye.

Attachments:
    1. lv-400.jpg

2. amine-400.jpg

JEREMY
    BP

Never used the one on the left but the one on the right always works great for me. At only 2oz to gal you can spray a lot of weeds cheap.

basseyes

Never used either.

Better for your health than gly?

sticker

Never used either.

Better for your health than gly?

I am not sure about the health thing, but it kills weeds that are gly resistant. Pigweed, ragweed, water hemp. It can’t be used on RR crops though as a replacement for gly, but it can be used on “grasses” like corn, sorgum, wheat.

BTW, I don’t buy into the gly caused cancer thing. They are only calling out Monsanto/round up on the suit and there are a ton of other generic gly herbicides not being sued.

JEREMY
    BP

it kills weeds that are gly resistant.

I had to spray my RR sweetcorn with 2,4-d this year cause RR wouldn’t even bother the ragweed that showed up. Farmer friend said RR will kill ragweed if sprayed when small enough.

Mr. Derek
    NULL

Ester based 2,4d is typically better at penetrating waxy leaves than amine but it is more volatile at higher temps. Both low and high temperature is important for using 2,4d.

asch
    Eastern Iowa

The LV400 is more volatile than the Amine, (more likely to kill your neighbors soybeans or flowers) But it goes away quicker if you want to plant a broad leaf plant after you spray. Both will kill broad leafs. None of them will cause cancer if you wear chemical gloves and follow directions.

sticker

Great info, thanks gentlemen!! toast

sticker

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>sticker wrote:</div>
    it kills weeds that are gly resistant.

I had to spray my RR sweetcorn with 2,4-d this year cause RR wouldn’t even bother the ragweed that showed up. Farmer friend said RR will kill ragweed if sprayed when small enough.

I’ve sprayed the ragweed at my place when it was 2″ tall with gly and it laughed at it. The stuff at our place is definitely gly resistant.

CaptainMusky

Will this stuff kill poison ivy, sumac, etc by not kill my trees? That crap is invading my tree line that has/had some nice red pine and spruce and I need to clean that out, but dont want to harm the trees.

sticker

Will this stuff kill poison ivy, sumac, etc by not kill my trees? That crap is invading my tree line that has/had some nice red pine and spruce and I need to clean that out, but dont want to harm the trees.

That’s 2 questions. Will it kill ivy and sumac, yes. Will it harm pine/spruce trees I don’t know. I does kill ash trees I know that much and box elder trees, pines I can’t answer that.

For poison ivy or other woody broadleafs, I’d use Triclopyr. It wont harm spruce and low doses shouldn’t hurt red pine, especially on taller, more mature trees.

CaptainMusky

For poison ivy or other woody broadleafs, I’d use Triclopyr. It wont harm spruce and low doses shouldn’t hurt red pine, especially on taller, more mature trees.

That you! That confirms what I read online as well. Its a dang jungle with those infestations now. We had a massive windstorm in 2010 that took out 28 mature trees and in the aftermath these invasive plants came in thick.
    I will obviously make sure not to spray it directly on anything I dont want it to affect, but I will probably try a small sample area to avoid a massive “what have you done?” moment.

Jake D
    Watertown, SD

It wont harm your trees at all.

benswan11

You can spray triclopyr over the top spruce, red pine, and white pine at a rate of 1 quart per acre with little affect on the trees when they harden off in the fall.( trees must be through there second growing season) Triclopry will kill jack pine though even when the trees are hardened off.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.