221 Fireball loads?

• Jeff Schomaker

Does anyone on here have a special 221 Fireball load that they use? I would like to hear what you guys use. Keep in mind I won’t use your exact load without doing load buildup first. Just curious what bullet and powder you guys use. I’ve got a pretty accurate load for it now but want something a little faster. Thanks!

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I did a coyote load for a buddy’s gun with the Barnes TSX bullets

17.2 gr H4198
    45gr Barnes TSX.
    .065 off the lands
    WSR primers.
    Chrony put it at 2760FPS at 10′ from the muzle.

The load works ok for him. I didn’t have time to run 10 different powders through for testing. I just looked up on the Barnes data and referenced what powder I had and started there. On the bench, he’s shooting 1-1/4″ groups @ 100 and over 3″ groups at 250yrds. Not great, but effective

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I owned one years and years ago. I think the short barrel sort of put a crimp in the accuracy even with lots of different hand loads and scoped. My 222 at the same time was a tack driver in comparison.

Jeff Schomaker

Mine is very accurate. I’m pushing a 50 grain v-max at roughly 2650 fps. Just wanting to find more speed. I don’t remember exactly what powder I’ve been using but I’ve heard a 40 grain bullet infront of some lil gun can get you almost 223 speeds. So I’m gonna try that. Just wondering if anyone else had a super accurate load I don’t wanna overlook. Mine is shooting under an inch at 100 yards. Hell factory ammo shot around an inch in the gun. So I don’t have to change. But as a reloader are any of us every 100% happy with any group if they aren’t touching? Haha

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

lol I suppose a lot of refinements have been made in factory ammo as well as with powders and bullets in the 40 years since I had my 221. The factory ammo was not bad for accuracy so I just stuck with that. I do know that pistol optics have really come a long ways in those years and probably contribute a lot to better results than I had. The Fireball is one unique weapon tho.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

But as a reloader are any of us every 100% happy with any group

Yes – I saved this target on the right as a “contract” or understanding I have with my daughters’ boyfriends rotflol

One of them was stupid enough to put a $20.00 bet that I couldn’t hit a bullseye at over 400yrds. I I kind of cheated….my first full mil is dead on at 428yrds. SUCKER jester (YES, I took his money with a cheesey smile on my face) Pic on left

Attachments:
    1. 20131110_111214.jpg

2. Scan_Pic0001.jpg

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

It’s important to know if you are intending this load for a rifle or a pistol? If you’re at 2600 FPS and looking for more, I’d guess this is NOT a classic Remington XP100 pistol, but rather a rifle chambered in .221 Fireball?

The XP100 pistol with the original 10.5 inch barrel generally maxed out at 2600 of so FPS with most loads. Rifle loads and some custom pistols with longer barrels can be pushed harder.

For rifle loads, H335 is the only published load I can find that just barely clears 3000 fps at maximum recommended loading with a 50 grain bullet. The Hodgedon manual claims several powders will do it with a 45 grainer, but again just barely.

Personally, I’d start working upward from what you’re shooting now and see if accuracy starts slipping. I rarely get the best accuracy at or near max.

I always wanted a XP100 in Fireball, but in the end versatility won out and I got a .223 barrel in Super 14 for my Contender. With a sweet 4×12 Burris that baby has rifle accuracy out to the point where the shorter barrel starts to show the lower velocity. Still very amusing in the p-dog towns.

Grouse

Jeff Schomaker

Yes it is in a rifle. I got a smoking deal on a CZ USA 221 a couple years ago. Love the rifle and everything about it. Just looking for perfection with it or as close as possible lol. Also I don’t hunt a lot with the rifle mainly when I’m in bobcat or fox territory.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.