2200 owners, manual or hyd. jack plate?

• Chad Forkrud

Hello,

I recently placed an order for a 2200 and I currently have a 2190. My current boat has a manual jack plate and I told myself I would consider a hydraulic plate on my next boat.

I do not do a lot of real shallow navigating so the main reason for considering hydraulic was to improve performance/speed. In discussing with my dealer they were very honest in their opinion that the hyd. plate on this hull/model/size wasn’t going to show a performance increase that in their opinion warranted the cost increase. In the end, we placed the order without the hydraulic jack plate.

Just wondering if any 2200 owners have any thoughts on if the hydraulic jack plate does is with considering as I could likely still adjust my order?

Thanks and Merry Christmas to everyone,
    Forky

Musky Ed

While I went with a hyd on mine, I honestly don’t change it much when running. I typically stay within 1/2″ of my optimum height for the prop I am using depending on water and running conditions, and I run a 20.5″ Bravo, except at boat launches, and will raise the engine there about 3″ or more so that I don’t have to trim up so much to protect the prop. I also installed a hyd plate to have the ability to raise the engine height when putting the motor support on and off for trailering as I went with a 10″ setback instead of the factory 12″, and because of this need to raise the engine a couple of inches to keep from pinching the cable hose when taking on and off the motor support. Keep in mind that Skeeter changed their trailer height last year or 2020 from what I could see, and the effect of this was apx 2″ more clearance. So for example on my 2019 2200, I cannot trim the engine down all the way without it hitting the ground at it’s standard running height, yet starting last year or maybe 2020, not sure which, because of the newer boat height on trailer, the engine will clear the ground by almost 2″ when level. I can only assume they made that change because of this. Couple other words of advice, order with the 19″ prop, the 20″ is too much prop, also if you ever launch at launches that do not alloy power loading, put the Fulton 2 speed winch on, makes winching up a breeze. You will love the boat and the changes they made to the electrical system, and hatch sealing, are really nice. I like the boat so much that when my son was looking to buy his first boat this year, I recommended a Skeeter for him also, and he has ordered a 2060 for his needs. If speed is your only concern, stay with the standard plate as it can be adjusted to the same height, with the same performance, just will take a little longer dialing it in. You would be better served spending your money on a Bravo prop for better performance. You will gain a better take off, apx 3mph lower planning speed, and about 1 mph higher top end, and you will save about 700-800 bucks. I have done alot of prop testing with I think 6 different props, some on my own, and a day with the dealer where we brought a batch of props to the boat launch, and the two that stood out were the 19″ yamaha, and my 20.5″ Bravo that I had from another boat. I think a 20.5″ Bravo FS would be good also, but if you are going with the standard 12″ setback, I would stay with the LT version of Bravo. The 19″ Yamaha prop is a very good prop for this boat also, and I was very happy with it, the Bravo is just slightly better, but they are sometimes inconsistant from one to the next.

Chad Forkrud

Musky Ed,

Thank you. I very much appreciate your thoughtful reply. Very helpful information. Thanks again.

Chad

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

I will be running a 12″ Jackplate on mine when it comes in. I also have a 20.5 Bravo LT from my last 2060 that I used for one afternoon that will probably go on my 2200 as well.

Only reason for me having a jackplate is because after running my dads boat (which we don’t use it for performance) I love the ability to get into skinny areas which I always seem to get myself in and having the peace of mind to do it.

If it gives me added performance great, but I could care less about that honestly.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.