2023 Sheds

• buschman
    Pool 2

Hi all. I just wanted to get this one bumped up and started.

I have been hearing of some early drops this year. I know a few in the metro were seeing some half racks. More surprising was the deer up in NW Wisconsin. My inlaws run a dairy farm and their extended family run a sheep farm. They have found 7 antlers already that are hanging out at the feeders. I think this is mostly due to stress. They had a lot more snow on the ground than us here in the cities. It is not uncommon for them to find sheds on the farm but this is the earliest they have ever seen them drop in numbers.

hillhiker
    SE MN

I have 3 different bucks on camera missing a side already. All this snow is definitely going to stress some deer and make them drop early. 12+ inches of fresh snow in the last 24 hours is also going to make finding those early sheds tough for a while.

Dan
    Southeast MN

I have been hearing of some early drops this year.

Same here, a buddy in SE Minnesota found three before Christmas. I saw a six-pointer missing a side on a trail camera picture right after gun season as well.

It’s given me a slight urge to walk around and look but with the layers and layers of snow we’ve been getting I’ll probably hold off for awhile.

Thanks for starting the thread, I love this and the trail cam thread every year!

buschman
    Pool 2

I put a camera up on one of my spots last weekend and was tempted to walk around for a while but decided to just get in and out quick. These deer here in the metro are some what tolerant to me walking in there but dont think it was worth pushing them too much. Excited to see what it shows me when it grab the card this weekend.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Neighbor leaseholder, sent me this pic as I’d asked him what had been going on, etc. I had been considering trying for a doe this last weekend in our area. Knowing our biggest area buck just dropped his antlers, I figured it’d be our luck to shoot the damn thing without antlers

Mark

Attachments:
    1. F1FCE8D7-C2AD-4CA8-954D-6B8225B7F350.jpeg

WishIwasWiser

We are seeing a lot of these types of pics the last week or so.

Attachments:
    1. E542205A-4F48-4205-910A-F9FBC4FF4112.jpeg

buschman
    Pool 2

I checked on one of my cameras yesterday. Going to be keeping an eye on this buck. Will check again next week to see if anything happens before I start doing much walking. Hate to stress them right now but do want to find this one when it drops.

Attachments:
    1. A2D69DE1-F63F-4DDA-BFB7-7DA3EA5C99EC-scaled.jpeg

hillhiker
    SE MN

I walked the edge of a CRP field after work today, and picked up a couple little ones. The one hanging in the cedar was only about 100 yards from the parking area on public. It looks like the deer are having a harder time getting around since there’s very little sign going out to the fields like most winters. The snow is deep, and the multiple ice layers make it very tough to get through.

Attachments:
    1. 20230112_152753-scaled.jpg

2. 20230112_151708-scaled.jpg

hillhiker
    SE MN

No coyotes this morning, but found the first decent shed of the year on the way back to the truck.

Attachments:
    1. 20230114_090527-scaled.jpg

hillhiker
    SE MN

Two more picked up while checking cameras this morning. It’s getting hard to not go in and really start looking for them yet, but there’s still to many bucks with both sides still.

Attachments:
    1. MFDC4302.png

2. 20230115_075404-scaled.jpg

3. 20230115_075910-scaled.jpg

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Super hard to find lol

Attachments:
    1. 93E21072-1D29-4119-BF4C-E8EF5D05653A-scaled.jpeg

buschman
    Pool 2

Don, those are the hardest ones to find some days and they all count!!! Good work.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

My eyes have been peeled. Seen a few very well used trails and no sheds yet.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20230118_183316982_HDR-scaled.jpg

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Just had a coyote pushing about 10 deer by the office, 2 smaller bucks (fork and basket 6) still holding.

Gitchi Gummi

speaking of sheds – not deer but I found this cool drone video that captured the moment a moose shed both of its antlers. pretty neat stuff!

hillhiker
    SE MN

Cool video, but I’m not sure I agree with flying a drone to find bulls/sheds.

Red added a good one to the pile during our walk today. I thought it was a corn leaf sticking out of the snow and tried calling him off it a few times before walking over to investigate. Thankfully he stayed on point!

Attachments:
    1. 20230123_134657-scaled.jpg

2. 20230123_144730-scaled.jpg

Gitchi Gummi

Cool video, but I’m not sure I agree with flying a drone to find

totally agree on the drone, although I doubt the bull even noticed it was there

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Cool video, but I’m not sure I agree with flying a drone to find bulls/sheds.

Red added a good one to the pile during our walk today. I thought it was a corn leaf sticking out of the snow and tried calling him off it a few times before walking over to investigate. Thankfully he stayed on point!

Nice one, although I was kind of distracted by the ones on the shelf! Would love to hear the story of how those bucks died, and what they scored lol

hillhiker
    SE MN

The biggest one on the shelf was found last year on a permission farm, and pics are in the last years shed thread. The pics were shown to a few people, and no one seemed to know which deer it was or if he’d been shot.

The big palmated matched set is from a few years ago. I originally learned about him when he crossed the road in front of me. I walked many miles, and ended up finding them a few feet apart next to a cedar. I missed my chance at them the following year, and never did find out who snagged them. The year after that they were found on a neighboring farm I didn’t have permission on. I did get to see and hold them once they were found. That year he sported his largest rack and he was HUGE. The final year I got to watch him many times through the spotter during the summer like years past, but he ended up getting shot opening morning of gun season. He went down hill as far as score goes, but he was a deer of lifetime still, and had a pretty wild rack. I had hundreds of miles into finding that deer’s antlers over the years.

Most of the land I shed hunt I don’t get to deer hunt, but I can’t thank the awesome farmers enough for letting me and the dog wander their land every winter/spring. Hopefully we can do our part and save a few tractor tires along the way!

hillhiker
    SE MN

The pile is starting to grow for the 2023 season! Not a bad start for pre February, and being careful not to push deer around. I also got the first matched set of the year over the weekend.

Attachments:
    1. 20230129_183323-scaled.jpg

2. 20230128_113609-scaled.jpg

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Very impressive hillhiker! applause

That match set is cool. Except for the brows, extremely symmetrical.

Gitchi Gummi

The pile is starting to grow for the 2023 season! Not a bad start for pre February, and being careful not to push deer around. I also got the first matched set of the year over the weekend.

wow that is awesome, nice work! That must be the SE part of the state eh? You are dialed in, thats for sure.

hillhiker
    SE MN

Yes, this is all from SE MN. All but a couple coming from corn fields. I did get lucky and picked a couple up off public that gets walked alot not just for shed hunting. At least one person walked right past this one.

Attachments:
    1. 20230125_164254-scaled.jpg

haleysgold
    SE MN

1st one this year for me. But I haven’t been out much yet.
    50 feet from my garage.

Attachments:
    1. 20230201_155658.jpg

2. 20230201_154117.jpg

hillhiker
    SE MN

Gotta love the easy ones! Nice find

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I am the worst shed hunter, so take this as you will. Put 4 miles on Sunday, and didn’t find anything. Did find a bedding area with at least a dozen beds, no sheds. Also pretty sure one or both of the bucks I was after made it thru the year, so it wasn’t a total waste. Plus it was awesome to get outside in that beautiful mid-30’s and SUN!!!

jake47
    WI

I was thinking they’d be dropping soon around here (SW WI), but then watched two sparring pretty intensely last week behind my shed – nobody lost their headgear. 3 bucks together with 4-5 does/yearlings in the same general area so not sure if this was late breeding related or just a hierarchal establishment.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I am the worst shed hunter, so take this as you will. Put 4 miles on Sunday, and didn’t find anything. Did find a bedding area with at least a dozen beds, no sheds. Also pretty sure one or both of the bucks I was after made it thru the year, so it wasn’t a total waste. Plus it was awesome to get outside in that beautiful mid-30’s and SUN!!!

Do you walk the same areas you hunt in the fall? I am just curious because I know you hunt public as well. Do you ever worry about giving away a spot by people following your tracks? I have really dialed back exploring areas I know are hot with snow on the ground because of this.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Do you walk the same areas you hunt in the fall? I am just curious because I know you hunt public as well. Do you ever worry about giving away a spot by people following your tracks? I have really dialed back exploring areas I know are hot with snow on the ground because of this.

Yes I walk the same areas (and more) that I hunt in the fall. I don’t worry or care if someone finds a spot where I hunt as I have a bunch of spots if someone is there I’ll just go elsewhere. It’s unlikely they follow my tracks as most people won’t walk as far as I do, and the area is heavily travelled by regular walkers so I get into the woods off of heavily travelled paths. And when I shed hunt I go as far back as I want, then go into the woods and work my way back, and then try and re-enter the beaten down path in common areas, so they would need to find my tracks at the end of the trail so to speak. And between all the public land nearby there are endless areas to hunt imo, there are literally thousands and thousands of acres covered by miles and miles of trails within a 20 minute drive of the SW Metro. Plus all these units have their own rules and special hunts, which is a whole other challenge to hunting them.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Thats a good way to be about it. I suppose the fact theres a lot of hikers helps cover it up.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.