2023 Pike Photos

• whytie
    Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

Got out on the last weekend of the ice season and caught my new personal best northern at 45″ brother-in-law never been chasing flags and I think he’s hooked now as well. Next time I’ll bring my 10″ auger. Had issues getting these gators topside when there is 4ft of ice and only 5ft of water below. Went shoulder deep to get my brother-in-law’s fish up since the back hook was snagged at the bottom of the hole.

Attachments:
    1. LML2023TU-scaled.jpg

2. LML2023SW-scaled.jpg

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Nice fat looking fish. I’ve caught a fair # of 40″+ fish, but never one thru the ice. That would be fun. Look forward to chasing some big ones on the open water soon. Early June can’t get here soon enough.

MNdrifter

Yup. 10” auger for sure. I also bring a hockey stick. Stick down the hole to push down behind their head, pull up on line when you get them calmed down at the bottom of the hole. They pop right up the hole.

tswoboda

Beautiful Pike!

Maybe a bit controversial but a gaff **used responsibly i.e. only in the mouth** makes easy work of esox in an 8″ hole.

isu22andy

Nice fish – its my goal to find a true 40 plus inch gator in P4 this summer. Any help appreciated jester

whytie
    Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

We can only use a gaff here with the intension of keeping, plus it can only be 3ft long. I used hockey sticks before but I did leave it with the 10″ auger. Next year they are coming with me lol.

tswoboda

We can only use a gaff here with the intension of keeping, plus it can only be 3ft long. I used hockey sticks before but I did leave it with the 10″ auger. Next year they are coming with me lol.

Makes sense on the gaff regs, didn’t notice you’re in Sask. I’ve used an upside down ice scoop in basically the same fashion as the hockey stick – not great.

Another make-shift option in a pinch is tying your biggest treble hook onto your stiffest rod and reeling it right into the tip top. Basically a gaff at that point.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.