2023 MN Turkey with Bow

• bendvoracek
    Eden Prairie, MN

I had a successful hunt last week Turkey hunting with my bow. I have killed many turkey with a shotgun, but wanted to try something different and try with my bow.
    I was watching the weather closely and there was a front coming in on Friday and decided to take the afternoon off work and go for it. I got out to the woods at 2pm after a brief rain storm that went through and had turkey’s already out in the fields strutting and showing off for their lady friends.
    Knowing that I was going to sit till dark, I decided to get low with my gear and follow the terrain to my spot and get setup with my tent and decoys.
    I was fairly successful I think and only bumped some of the turkeys slightly. I got into the blind and waited a 1/2 hour and then started calling. At 1st, did not have any response, but then waited another 1/2 hour and called again and immediately got a gobble. I then started to make another calling sequence and saw a hen come out into the field and start working her way toward my decoy set up. She came closer to within 40 yards and I did not see the Tom that was with her.
    I then noticed a glimpse out of my far right window and the Tom came in silent all displayed out and was coming into the decoys. He eventually stepped out of the grass and into the field but then hung up as he was watching his lady that was in the field working her way to the decoys. He turned and continued to walk toward me. I picked up my range finder and he stopped at 29 yards. I decided that was far enough and drew back my bow, settled the pin, and let the arrow fly. It hit exactly where I aimed as he was facing me, so I picked a spot right above his beard and just below the waddle.
    My Rage Turkey X-Treme broadhead did the job and put the Tom down in his tracks and expired within seconds.

He ended up weighing 23.5 pounds, had an 11 inch beard, and 1.5 inch spurs.

Now onto Wisconsin next week to try again and see if I can double up on my success.

Attachments:
    1. 3.jpg

2. 1.jpg

3. 2.jpg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

That is a nice bird. Gnarly spurs too. Even more impressive with a bow. waytogo

Hoyt4
    NULL

Congrats , heading to WI next week also good luck.

Gerty

Very nice bird! Congrats!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Congrats Ben!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.