2023 Live From The Tree

• Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

You guys and your short term illnesses. You have 16 weeks of family leave act to work with. Man up and work with it

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

You guys and your short term illnesses. You have 16 weeks of family leave act to work with. Man up and work with it

In a few more years that will be a paid time off as well.
    I like to take a few days off here and there for the woods until late October, then I want a couple weeks to my self with no work or side work. Tell the woman I only do house chores at night and just stay in the woods as much as possible. Maybe even sneak in a few duck hunts

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Anyone looking to hunt the rain? Should be a good opportunity to capitalize on.

Justin riegel

Anyone looking to hunt the rain? Should be a good opportunity to capitalize on.

Not a huge fan of it due to blood trailing. If it is just a light rain no problem, but heavy rain and lighting are a no go for me.

Will probably sneak out tonight if it holds out, but tomorrow looks rough.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Not a huge fan of it due to blood trailing. If it is just a light rain no problem, but heavy rain and lighting are a no go for me.

Will probably sneak out tonight if it holds out, but tomorrow looks rough.

I should have added as its tapering off and being in the tree as it lightens up and stops. Fully agree on heavy rain making it tough to blood trail.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

If it’s not a thunderstorm then I’ll be out. If it’s a steady light rain I’ll be out. But down pouring and thunderstorms I’ll be home wishing I was out.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Snuck in close to some beds earlier and the wind seemed to be all over in the swamp so I went and had lunch and now shifted with the wind to the edge of field near the beds.

Attachments:
    1. 20230923_145624-scaled.jpg

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Looks like a prime spot!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Looks like a prime spot!

I didn’t see a deer. But it started pouring and thundering at 645. So I’m heading back out now. Rain is just starting to fade off.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The deer must have stuffed them selves full before the storm. I didn’t see a movement this morning, that doesn’t ever happen on this property. I’m shifting gears and changing properties for tonight, hunting a new small 20 acres I got access to that butts up to wild river state park.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Property change got me some meat in the freezer

Attachments:
    1. 20230924_201104-1-scaled.jpg

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Nice, congrates.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Nice! Looks like she didn’t go 20!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The DNR has reported this as through the first week of the archery season. I’m guessing that these deer taken with cross bows traditionally were from hunters not hunting during archery season prior to this year.

“We have recorded 790 deer being taken with a crossbow, which is running about 40 percent of our total archery harvest,” said DNR Big Game Program Leader Barb Keller.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

It would be nice if they could add a question to know if they were on public or private.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Leaves are dropping pretty fast. Big difference since I sat here last week

Attachments:
    1. 20230927_162000-scaled.jpg

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Got out for a couple hours last weekend with my oldest boy, mainly checking new areas since we couldn’t sit until dark.

Attachments:
    1. 8A21F5BD-317F-4135-A92C-6C65EFFB2C2D-scaled.jpeg

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Sitting the only spot I have confidence in with this weird east/southeast wind. Good luck.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Sitting the only spot I have confidence in with this weird east/southeast wind. Good luck.

I was just busted by mama doe. She blew at me 4 times and ran off. Scared me. I never seen her come in. All of a sudden she was blowing 20 yards behind me.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Im pissed. Deer came from downwind. Had 2-4 blowing at me coffee

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Im pissed. Deer came from downwind. Had 2-4 blowing me coffee

The doe came from upwind from me, but where I was it must have been swirling, she was blowing hard at me. I seen 2 fawns run away and then her. Mom alert was ringing. She would have had a pass, I was hoping for Mr buck but I haven’t seen him in 2 weeks

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Did you have your nose jammer on? jester

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Did you have your nose jammer on? jester

I didn’t have my back pack today. Rushed out to fast. So no nose jammer, just dead down wind, guess I needed some dead up wind rotflol

Walleye Hungry

Going to get out for the first time this coming weekend. Havent been able to scout or hunt at all but hunting a dense population area. Have you guys had any luck with rattling or are we still too early?

Weather looks….well not my ideal choice.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Going to get out for the first time this coming weekend. Havent been able to scout or hunt at all but hunting a dense population area. Have you guys had any luck with rattling or are we still too early?

I won’t touch the rattles for 2 more weeks.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Carter Johnson wrote:</div>
    Had 2-4 blowing me

Go on!

Fixed shock

I personally dont like calling or rattling anytime of year. But I wouldnt touch any of that for a bit.

If you have secluded water I would hunt that this weekend. Small pond, little swamp with some kind of water in it anything.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I rattle using the black rack and have had success doing so. I won’t make a peep until the youth weekend. I believe that’s the 19th or 20th weekend. And then I’ll use the black rack on different properties and areas I hunt

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Normally that deer that comes into a rattle or call is going to circle downwind to be sure. I normally dont have shooting lanes downwind unless im in a pretty open area.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Got my first real sit of the year in, pretty quite tonight. When I left the house there was descent breeze and cloud cove but the storms passed and by the time I sat down there was no wind and all sun! Got warm out. To warm for this guy this weekend, mid next week looks like a nice cool down to get back out.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 551 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.