2023/2024 NHL/WILD Offseason-Season-Postseason Thread

• TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

Vinni Lettieri’s first Wild game tonight. Pretty cool.

Why are so many people aroused by this guy being on the Wild? Is it just because of his ties to MN?

I’ve never seen so much chatter over a guy that has 18 points over basically a full season. Is it because he might be a good FO guy?

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’m glad Hartman got 3 because in the 1st he looked like he couldn’t do anything right.

Gawd Edmonton is just so bad defensively. I guess they’ll be fine as long as McD, Leon, and Double-Name score at least 8 per game. Well, maybe 9 or 10 would be safer…

JoeMX1825
    MN

I’m glad Hartman got 3 because in the 1st he looked like he couldn’t do anything right.

Gawd Edmonton is just so bad defensively. I guess they’ll be fine as long as McD, Leon, and Double-Name score at least 8 per game. Well, maybe 9 or 10 would be safer…

that’s been their motto the past 5+ years…works well until the playoffs…

JoeMX1825
    MN

finally got a chance to watch the game highlights, the 1st line was buzzing and Kaprizov was all over the ice…looked like their best game of the season for sure…good sign…

tswoboda

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>lindyrig79 wrote:</div>
    Vinni Lettieri’s first Wild game tonight. Pretty cool.

Why are so many people aroused by this guy being on the Wild? Is it just because of his ties to MN?

I’ve never seen so much chatter over a guy that has 18 points over basically a full season. Is it because he might be a good FO guy?

#oneofus and even moreso because he’s Louie’s guy so the media is all over that, noses couldn’t get any browner. TBF I thought the 4th line was buzzing with him… maybe their best game in terms of chances and buzzing the o-zone.

Very nice to see the top line get rolling. I thought Addison and Middelton had very good games playing with that line as well. That group of 5 was hard matched against the RNH/Hyman line and took them to the cleaners.

ESPN’s Frozen Frenzy had me locked in last night, multiple screens and couldn’t look away. Lots of replays but overall I thought it went pretty well and certainly enjoyed watching it. Maybe next time they don’t need to get all 16 games going at the same time – half that would be plenty.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

LOL that’s exactly it. Minnetonka, Gopher, family ties. Really not that good of a player, and the stats bear it out. Present in name only.

Tom schmitt

If you missed last night you missed the KK show. Every shift could go on a highlight reel for skating, passing, shooting.
    The Dewey line looked better, but not as good as when Marroon finally catches up to them.
    Faber/Brodin with the tough job of shutting down Diesitl.

tswoboda

Faber/Brodin with the tough job of shutting down Diesitl.

More like clinging on for dear life. Spent a lot of time defending but for the most part kept that line off the score sheet.

Completely agree 97 looked like a re-energized player last night. He did what he wanted with the puck and seemed to have it on his stick most of his shifts. Still struggling to bury one-t chances but I have no doubt that will come.

CaptainMusky

I could only make it through 2 periods and wasnt really happy with how they were playing through 2. Looked like I missed an impressive 3rd period. Hartman looked terrible through 2, but winds up with a hatty LOL.

JoeMX1825
    MN

If you missed last night you missed the KK show. Every shift could go on a highlight reel for skating, passing, shooting.

Follow this Russian Youtuber, he posts recap videos everygame of just Kaprizov’s shifts (when there’s some action)

The shift at 6:00 minutes into the video was rediculous!

tswoboda

Hartman’s 2nd goal the 97 backhand sauce into the slot and 36 intentional kick pass is the goal of the year so far (of course disregarding stonehands snipes from 3 feet)

And his 3rd goal was a tribute to the ineptitude of the Oil. Bouchard is going to get $8m+ in a couple years but has no idea how to play defense and their 5×5 goalie walks his cat on a leash.

tswoboda

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>TheFamousGrouse wrote:</div>

that’s been their motto the past 5+ years…works well until the playoffs…

Edmonton has as many playoff wins in the last 2 seasons as the Wild do since Ryan Carter was on the team. And they lost to the eventual cup champs both years, swept by the Avs and gave Vegas their toughest series of the playoffs.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Edmonton has as many playoff wins in the last 2 seasons as the Wild do since Ryan Carter was on the team. And they lost to the eventual cup champs both years, swept by the Avs and gave Vegas their toughest series of the playoffs.

sooo their outscore motto didn’t work then? Oilers have been leaking defensive oil for years and they’ve been hoping to find a reclamation project goalie the last 5+ years who could catch fire again, but they never do…you’ll see Holland put all of his chips in mortgaging everything in the next few years to try and prove to McJesus and King Leon they can win in Edmonton (and keep his job in the short term)…The Oilers have very limited prospects to help in the future, so this crew needs to get it done now before the 2 biggest contracts in NHL history are offered blowing up their cap again…

tswoboda

Great point. I forgot anything less than the cup is failure.

As a Wild fan I guess I have a tough time ripping other teams’ playoff success.

CaptainMusky

Edmonton has as many playoff wins in the last 2 seasons as the Wild do since Ryan Carter was on the team.

Is that true? It doesnt seem like that is possible. Seems they lose in the first round every year and how many years has it been since carter was here?

tswoboda

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tswoboda wrote:</div>
    Edmonton has as many playoff wins in the last 2 seasons as the Wild do since Ryan Carter was on the team.

Is that true? It doesnt seem like that is possible. Seems they lose in the first round every year and how many years has it been since carter was here?

I could always use a fact checker but I counted 14 wins for the Oil the last 2 seasons and 14 wins for the Wild since 15-16, which was Carter’s last NHL season with the Wild. Not even including his PTO and AHL stint in 16-17.

Sad isn’t it. What’s even more doom and gloom is that span includes the 3 best regular season teams in franchise history and 5 of the top 6.

CaptainMusky

That is an amazing stat really surprises me. The Wild made the playoffs like all those years except 1 too.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Great point. I forgot anything less than the cup is failure.

but if we had the 2 best players in the world on our team we’d probably feel a little differently…The Oilers have just been built terribly by their past 2 GM’s…they are built for the regular season, not the playoffs…Wild are kind of stuck in that mode as well imo…We love Spurgeon and Brodin, but their games are just not built well for the playoffs…both can barely physically last through 1 playoff round and have been mostly ineffective compared to their regular season play…

Ekholm signing was the Oilers lattest attemp to go in the other direction, we’ll see how that plays out…

JoeMX1825
    MN

The McDavid Era Oiler Playoffs

Attachments:
    1. oilers.jpg

tswoboda

^^as many playoff series wins as the Wild have in franchise history

but if we had the 2 best players in the world

whoa whoa whoa I thought they were just a product of each other and Kaprizov is more valuable to his team

JoeMX1825
    MN

^^as many playoff series wins as the Wild have in franchise history

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>
    but if we had the 2 best players in the world

whoa whoa whoa I thought they were just a product of each other and Kaprizov is more valuable to his team

is 2 not better than 1? I’m saying that’s why the Oilers playoff failures likely hurt more than the Wild’s…They’ve had every opportunity to be better over the years, they’ve just made terrible personnel decisions…

tswoboda

I’ll just leave it at this

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’m not sure how any MN sports fan could rip on any franchise’s playoff failures. Maybe Twins fans have a little bit of credit but even they went on a record breaking drought.

Ripjiggen

Don’t see how as a wild fan we can knock the Oilers playoff success.
    Hell any team for that matter.

JoeMX1825
    MN

wasn’t the original question around which fanbase should feel worse about their teams lack of recent playoff success? That’s why i’d say the Oilers over the Wild…Wild never truly had a prayer until Kirill showed up 3ish years ago…Oilers have had McJesus and King Leon for 7-8 years?

Ripjiggen

The oil have at least shown progress over the last 3-4.
    IMO the wild are in the same predicament as the oil. Wasting the best years of your star player before they leave.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I could always use a fact checker but I counted 14 wins for the Oil the last 2 seasons and 14 wins for the Wild since 15-16, which was Carter’s last NHL season with the Wild. Not even including his PTO and AHL stint in 16-17.

Good stats. Put me in the camp as labeling Edmonton as having pretty good success lately, even if it did not result in a Stanley Cup.

tswoboda

I don’t think there was a question, literally just this:

And apparently you disagree, which is perfectly fine. Time to move on??

——————————

Anyone check out the NHLs new player tracking stats site? NHL Edge. Bunch of pretty useless stats but kind of entertaining and of course absolutely terrible UI.

Some fun stuff from last season among NHL regulars:
    Fastest skater top speed: Connor Dewar
    Fastest D-man top speed: Calen Addison
    Slowest skater: Jon Merrill
    Slowest forward: Reavo
    Hardest shot: Dumba – 101.58 mph!!!
    Slowest D-man shot: Addison – 86.31 mph

And no surprise but the Wild as a team were average to below average in skating speed, speed bursts over 20mph, skating distance, shots, shooting percentage, goals, and o-zone time.

Again this stuff really doesn’t matter just thought some of the skating a shot stuff was entertaining. Maybe shows the team as a whole is not overly talented when it comes to shooting hard and skating fast. Waiting on the grit stats to come out where they’ll certainly be first… grit. first. get it? jester

(In case anyone is wondering Foligno leads the NHL in hits with 29. Next closest on the Wild is JEEK with 14)

Ripjiggen

Basically all Billy G stats when he was a player. jester

tswoboda

Probably the most interesting thing is Rossi’s top speed through his 20ish games last year was only 20.30 mph (one of the lowest in the league) and through 6 games this year he’s already hit 21.99 mph (top 20% of NHL). The boy learned how to skate this summer

Viewing 30 posts - 961 through 990 (of 5,507 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.