2023/2024 NHL/WILD Offseason-Season-Postseason Thread

• JoeMX1825
    MN

Philly gonna pull their goalie in a tie game

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Interesting, the Flyers pulled their goalie and may have handed Washington a playoff berth. Apparently they didn’t know Detroit tied it.

JoeMX1825
    MN

And just like that Detroit’s last second goal means nothing now right?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

And just like that Detroit’s last second goal means nothing now right?

Correct, because the Capitals have now won in regulation and they clinched the final playoff spot.

Talk about odd. Flyers think they need to win in regulation because Detroit loses. They pull their goalie and the Capitals score, only to find out that Detroit tied it with 3 second remaining.

Capitals will play the Rangers in round 1. Washington is a whopping -38 in overall goal differential. That is remarkable they are still even in playoff contention at this point.

tswoboda

What an emotional Rollercoaster for Detroit. Score with 3 seconds to extend your season and then 30 seconds later the team your chasing scores an ENG goal in a tie game to take the playoff spot.

Philly still had to pull the goalie because the Wings game was going to OT. The goalie pull was because they couldn’t let Wash get a point

23-24 Capitals have to be the worst team in the salary cap era to make the playoffs. Woof

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Philly still had to pull the goalie because the Wings game was going to OT

They didn’t have to. The announcers said they did it anyways to try and play spoiler, even though they had found out Detroit scored. Once Detroit got to OT, the Flyers were eliminated.

tswoboda

Yeah you’re right Gim, I’m an idiot and can’t track the standings this fast in real time jester Playing spoiler by pulling your goalie in regulation makes zero sense though, very dumb comment by the commentator. Unless he meant spoil it for Detroit by losing on purpose??

How far apart was the Detroit goal and ENG in real time? Was only like 30 seconds on my feeds but I’m sure one of them was behind. 30 seconds is close enough they maybe didn’t know on the bench

jack klusa

I do not see how a hockey team will be successful in Utah. My opinion.

I also think it would be a bad move to have Winnipeg go back to Atlanta.

Did a little research on the relocation and it seems that smith (owner of jazz-new owner of yotes) will build a whole new building with his own wallet.

I was skeptical about Utah at first, but it seems that they have what all successful non- traditional market teams have and what the coyotes and thrashers didn’t have: ownership that actually cares about the team. Utah is a lot more hockey-like than a lot of the other markets there are even now. If any market has good ownership, it will succeed.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

How far apart was the Detroit goal and ENG in real time? Was only like 30 seconds on my feeds but I’m sure one of them was behind. 30 seconds is close enough they maybe didn’t know on the bench

I put it on split screen courtesy of the complimentary NHL Center Ice package this season and about a minute in real time Detroit scored before the Flyers pulled their goalie, and then the Capitals scored. Lol I rewinded it and it was about 1 minute, 2 seconds on my screens. The Flyers coaching staff checked the score and they saw Detroit losing with 3.4 seconds left and a face-off from an icing by Montreal remaining. Then only after they pulled Ersson, Oshie scores on an open net for Washington. Then Detroit realizes what happened and they see the Capitals had gone ahead on an empty net goal. The Flyers realize they cannot make the playoffs because Detroit makes it to OT, but they try to play spoiler anyways. Washington wins on the empty net goal and earns the final playoff spot. Detroit realizes that the Capitals had won in regulation as they were heading to a shoot out. I stopped watching it at that point. LOL

82 games over the course of 7 months, and it came down to 1 minute, 2 seconds of time. How is that even possible.

JoeMX1825
    MN

A Wild loss Thursday or Penguins win tomorrow means the Wild will pick #13 in the draft (before any lottery luck)

Philly only cared about beating the Caps in regulation because they owned the Wins in regulation tiebreaker with Detroit if tied. The empty net Caps goal happened 30-60 seconds AFTER the Detroit last second goal, so they probably just got word about it as the play was infolding, didn’t matter though as they couldn’t let the Caps get a point…

Crazy though… as mentioned, can you imagine the emotional swing in Michigan bars & households over 60 seconds!!!

tswoboda

Who is Philly playing spoiler for by pulling the goalie in regulation??

I’m saying when they pulled the goalie they weren’t aware Detroit made it to OT. OT probably hadn’t even started

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

At that point they were only trying to keep the Capitals OUT of the playoffs even though they already knew Detroit had made it to OT and they could not qualify. That’s what the announcers for NBC Philly said, anyways. There was still 2:35 left in that game when they were still trying to do that.

JoeMX1825
    MN

nobody… they couldn’t let the Caps get 1 point….

and to think Philly scored in the 1st but the refs lost sight of the puck (it was 30’ up in the air and landed on a player and rolled in) and blew the play dead…

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Ha! Ya that goal should have counted. They reviewed it and sent it to Toronto too and still didn’t count it.

Wonder what the Penguins think of all this.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Philly would have been in the playoffs if they won in regulation tonight, Detroit lost tonight and the Penguins lost tomorrow…

JoeMX1825
    MN

Ha! Ya that goal should have counted. They reviewed it and sent it to Toronto too and still didn’t count.

If the puck wouldn’t have hit a player as it was falling down it would have counted as a continuation play even after an early whistle, but as soon as it touched someone the play is dead… that’s what Toronto reviewed

If the ref would have saw it deflected up in the air, he wouldn’t have blown the whistle and it would have counted and Washington couldn’t have challenged it…

JoeMX1825
    MN

Seattle has nothing to play for on Thursday (they are locked into pick #8)

Hopefully Pittsburgh wins tomorrow so I can cheer for the Wild on Thursday…

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Charlie W wrote:</div>

Did a little research on the relocation and it seems that smith (owner of jazz-new owner of yotes) will build a whole new building with his own wallet.

I was skeptical about Utah at first, but it seems that they have what all successful non- traditional market teams have and what the coyotes and thrashers didn’t have: ownership that actually cares about the team. Utah is a lot more hockey-like than a lot of the other markets there are even now. If any market has good ownership, it will succeed.

This was the best case scenario for the NHL and the Coyotes, 1 single billionaire owner…

JoeMX1825
    MN

Leafs vs Bruins round 1 matchup!
    Panthers vs Lightning!

Ripjiggen

The owner of the jazz and future owner of the yotes wants to be an owner and make money as an owner. Has crazy money and cares about that money making money in pro sports and other adventures. He will spend what it takes to be successful.

tswoboda

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tswoboda wrote:</div>

At that point they were only trying to keep the Capitals OUT of the playoffs even though they already knew Detroit had made it to OT and they could not qualify. That’s what the announcers for NBC Philly said, anyways. There was still 2:35 left in that game when they were still trying to do that.

Announcers who said that are idiots. You don’t play spoiler by pulling your goalie in a tie game. That’s the opposite of spoiler, that was a golden ticket to the playoffs.

Torts said in his press conference he had no idea Detroit tied it until after Oshie scored the ENG.

tswoboda

I thought there was a bill going through Utah legislature recently to provide funding for a new arena district in downtown SLC. 0.5% sales tax or something like that. Now Smith will have two teams to take advantage of that funding.

SLC has the Olympics in 10 years, right? If he’s involved in the arena district I’m guessing he’ll do pretty well hosting the OG there.

CaptainMusky

My wife’s cousin is or at least was in charge of SLC tourism and I am sure she is just salivating over the thought of having the Olympics and now an NHL team. That is going to pump millions if not billions into the city each year.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Good recap of the Flyers, Capitals, Redwings drama last night…

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Charlie W wrote:</div>

The Smith group and various branches of Utah/SLC government have not yet agreed on the direction for an arena. The good news is that the Smith Group has everything they need to pull off either a large-scale renovation of the Delta Center or build an entirely new arena. Certainly, the Smith’s sway in SLC had a lot to do with Gary’s decision to finally throw in the towel on the Bettman’s Desert Fail and sell the franchise to the Smiths. No more endless waiting for arena builds that never materialize.

Also in the background of all this, Salt Lake City desperately wants the Winter Olympics back in town in 2034. They have a strong bid before the IOC and (Surprise!) the Smiths are major movers/shakers when it comes to this project. The appeal of a brand new arena would be a real feather in the Olympic cap for SLC, so there is even more of a push for an arena in SLC than just the NHL franchise.

The current owner of the Coyotes, Alex Meruelo, allegedly will have 5 years of the right of first refusal for an expansion franchise to return to AZ. Don’t hold your breath! First, this is an “if”, not a guarantee and allegedly the league will require that a new arena be approved and financed BEFORE the franchise is awarded. Well, how is that going to work? The Phoenix area is not really a major city but rather a clustermuck of warring suburbs that don’t work and play well together. They just spent the last 15 years playing arena hot potato with the Coyotes and now they are finally going to agree within 5 years to build a new arena somewhere to house a team that doesn’t exist, for an owner they hate, and when the former franchise still hasn’t gotten the damage deposit back on its former inglorious digs? Good luck!

Also, the league and the players’ association with their new boss are all getting tired of underperforming franchises costing them revenue-sharing money. Arizona was the worst offender, but there are other teams operating at a loss or at below-expected profit levels at a time when real big-market cities like Atlanta and Houston are pushing for teams.

This was a great move for the NHL and in a year everybody will be asking why didn’t this move happen years ago. The only bad news is that the next new franchise will be another expansion team and here we go again having to give up players in a rigged expansion draft that has the goal of making the new franchise be a playoff contender from day 1.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Flower signs a 1 year $2.5 extension, The big question is will this be to split time with GusBus another season setting up Wallstead permanent move to the Wild in 2025/2026 or will GusBus get traded this offseason and Flower mentors Wallstead on the job next season?

CaptainMusky

I hope its the former. Is that the vet minimum?

JoeMX1825
    MN

I hope its the former. Is that the vet minimum?

no, vet minimum is like $800k ish… that’s the funny/interesting part imo, why ask for $2.5? unless its due to pressure from the NHLPA…its not like he’s playing another year for the money and Allan Walsh isn’t pinching pennies either…i’m sure its NHLPA related and helps Allan’s other goalie clients (if he has any?) by keeping Flower’s comp competitive..

CaptainMusky

Exactly what I was thinking. That is a lot of money. He is probably worth it, but man, Im going to have to troll CapFriendly now to see where that leaves us.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Exactly what I was thinking. That is a lot of money. He is probably worth it, but man, Im going to have to troll CapFriendly now to see where that leaves us.

If GusBus is back next year then it’s $1 million cheaper for the combo than what we paid this season…if GusBus gets traded, then we save $3.75 million as Flower’s $2.5 and Wallstead’s $925k is about $3.5 total…

Viewing 30 posts - 4,921 through 4,950 (of 5,507 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.