2023/2024 NHL/WILD Offseason-Season-Postseason Thread

• tswoboda

Brodeur’s workload is the same argument for Howe though right?

Similar maybe but not just by playing a million games but more that he was on such good defensive teams that it boosted his numbers significantly.

Hasek is all about vibes, no one stole games like the dominator.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Hasek is all about vibes, no one stole games like the dominator.

if “vibes” are a measuring stick, then maybe Boogaard has a shot!

tswoboda

Ok you want more than vibes how about some numbers.

16 seasons
    6 vezinas
    2 Harts

vs.

22 seasons
    4 Vezinas
    0 Harts

Brodeur was a great player on a great team. Hasek was the best player on his team for most of his career.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I give credit to Hasek for changing the goalie position from a straight up Butterfly style to being a more unorthodox/unpredictable style that we see more in today’s game (especially Flower)…I wonder what Brett Hull not scoring in the crease could have done for his career had Buffalo won?

tswoboda

Wasn’t it Roy that really pioneered the butterfly? Hasek was more of a fish flopping all over the place. Not at all common in the current NHL but yeah Flower is the closest modern example. I’d say Brodeur is the most similar to current NHL goalies.

CaptainMusky

Brodeur was a great player on a great team. Hasek was the best player on his team for most of his career.

I agree there for sure. Buffalo was terrible at the time. The only decent team he played on was Detroit.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Ok you want more than vibes how about some numbers.

16 seasons
    6 vezinas
    2 Harts

vs.

22 seasons
    4 Vezinas
    0 Harts

16 seasons (1 season was only 5 games played) and only 714 starts vs 22 season (2 of those seasons = 11 games played) and 1251 starts, the more games played SHOULD equate into worse GAA & SV% numbers right? I won’t argue with the quality of teams they played on, Devils were alot better over their careers…

JoeMX1825
    MN

Wasn’t it Roy that really pioneered the butterfly? Hasek was more of a fish flopping all over the place. Not at all common in the current NHL but yeah Flower is the closest modern example. I’d say Brodeur is the most similar to current NHL goalies.

That’s what i’m saying, Hasek changed the style to more unorthodox/unpredictable…I think that’s how modern goalies play now…Yes, Roy pioneered Butterfly, Broduer took it to the next level…

tswoboda

the more games played SHOULD equate into worse GAA & SV% numbers right?

I’d argue playing for the 90s Sabres compared to the 90s Devils would have a way bigger impact on those numbers. GAA is a team stat and sv% Hasek is significantly ahead of Brodeur and still has the best of all time.

How about Hasek had the greatest prime and was the greatest goalie ever during that prime. Brodeur had the greatest, most accomplished and consistent career start to finish. Kinda like the Gretzky/Mario comparison except waayyyy closer.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Broduer’s Devils missed out on the playoffs 4 seasons during his career, Hasek only missed out 2 seasons (1 with Buffalo and 1 with Detroit) so the team quality argument isn’t as big as you think…

Ripjiggen

Any goalie that played without a helmet gets my vote. Had to be some kind of nut to do that.

tswoboda

Any goalie that played without a helmet gets my vote. Had to be some kind of nut to do that.

Mic Drop, case closed rotflol

Does that make Jacques Plante the worst goalie all time?

tswoboda

Torts healthy scratching Sean Couturier tonight, a month after giving him the C. Reminder Philly is still in a playoff spot

JoeMX1825
    MN

Torts healthy scratching Sean Couturier tonight, a month after giving him the C. Reminder Philly is still in a playoff spot

You gotta think Torts told him ahead of time and this is just a premeditated locker room wake up call before the final playoff push…

if not, then it’s just Torts shining the spotlight on himself because Couturier is a model NHL player…

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

When do we start discussing hockey gear advancements making players better?

This is the reason Gretzky will ALWAYS be the GOAT and will always occupy the highest position in the temple of hockey. Think Ovie is better? Give Ovie a wooden or aluminum shaft stick for a season and prove it.

By 2005 it was estimated that 95% of NHL roster players had converted to carbon fiber sticks of various manufacture. We now have roughly 2 entire generations of hockey players who have no idea what it is like to play with anything except carbon fiber. Yes, you can still buy and play with a wooden stick, but you cannot go back to a time when everybody else was and you can’t play the game the way it was played back when this was so.

The carbon fiber stick changed EVERYTHING about how the game was played and even though it wasn’t technically that long ago, it represents an era line that can’t be recrossed when discussing player achievements.

Gretz played with wooden and then the Easton aluminum shaft stick and having played with both, I don’t see the two as being that different as far as impacting the game. Carbon showed up in 99 or 2000 and anybody that tried those early Easton carbon sticks either immediately bought them or wanted to but couldn’t afford them. The arms race had started and there was no going back.

wormdunker

NHL Rushmore should be JOEMX, Tswoboda, CaptainMusky and Ripjigen. With Gimruis taking up the Crazy Horse spot.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Tortorella is always so animated. That’s what makes him entertaining. His style of coaching is definitely old school. That game a while ago against Tampa when he refused to leave after he was ejected was classic Torts. Lol I think they even honored the 2004 Lightning that night before the game for winning the Cup when he was the head coach. “Thanks, Tampa.” Then takes a complete 180, starts dropping f bombs, and gets booted. “I’m not fu**ing leaving.” They even show some of the players from that 2004 squad up in the box laughing about it. Lmao

He’s done a pretty good job this season with the Flyers. I didn’t think they would be in the top 3 of the metropolitan division. They have a solid young team.

Justin Donson

Ok, if you absolutely NEED a goalie on your mount Rushmore then I think it looks like this:

Wayne Gretzky
    Mario Lemieux
    Bobby Orr
    Jean Sebastian Giguere’s pads

AK Guy

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tswoboda wrote:</div>

That’s what i’m saying, Hasek changed the style to more unorthodox/unpredictable…I think that’s how modern goalies play now…Yes, Roy pioneered Butterfly, Broduer took it to the next level…

…and a slinky for a spine!

Ice Cap

The Clutch and Grab era is also a telling point to Gretzky’s unreal production, he had guys hanging on him for dear life 1/2 the game and still produced…Modern era hockey has a guy tap your hands with his stick being a penalty resulting in Ovi playing the entire 2 minute powerplay…

like I said, so many variables…

Don’t forget the red line was removed in 2005 I believe. I wonder how Gretzky would have fared if the two line pass was legal in his day? I always believed it was an unwritten rule in the NHL no big hits on Gretzky. He was putting asses in seats wherever he went. Complete money machine for the NHL and they needed him on the ice.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Ok, if you absolutely NEED a goalie on your mount Rushmore then I think it looks like this:
    Wayne Gretzky
    Mario Lemieux
    Bobby Orr
    Jean Sebastian Giguere’s pads

Would Giguere’s pads fit on My Rushmore? I guess they would but they would block out the view of everything else…

So what is Collective Braintrust view of tonight’s midnight madness vs the Schmucks? Wild come in rested and ready and pummel the Ducks? Or another night of making a bad team look good and hoping KK bales us out?

I think the Wild by 1 in regulation with the requisite nail biter at the end.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Missle’s 1st NHL point comes off a clean faceoff win… nice to see…

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

Missle’s 1st NHL point comes off a clean faceoff win… nice to see…

Wish I could see it. Why is this not on BSN??

JoeMX1825
    MN

Its just one of the few ESPN+ Hockey Night games the Wild gets…

The Ducks will eventually be a good team with the young core they have, but they are just brutal right now…

JoeMX1825
    MN

Marat has looked alot more comfortable tonight… Rossi setting guys up for great chances all game, Hynes noticed this and put him with Kirill and Zuccy…Kirill is just on a whole other level than everyone else right now… so fun to watch…

JoeMX1825
    MN

I’m guessing that’s gonna be a pretty serious injury for Brodin… when you HOPE its just a dreaded high ankle sprain, that’s not good…

basseyes

Bad luck injury bug strikes again. Tough seeing Brodin look like that. He did not look good trying to skate off the ice.

tswoboda

Man the ducks are awful, made the entire team look like Allstars tonight. Probably Beckman’s best NHL game. Nice to see Gus make the few saves he was asked to make, hopefully give the man some confidence.

Post-game comments seem mildly optimistic about Brodin. If he could be back next week that would be huge.

Viewing 30 posts - 4,291 through 4,320 (of 5,352 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.