2022/2023 NHL/Wild Offseason-Season-Postseason Thread

• Ripjiggen

Not sure they put Duhaime on IR already as well.

CaptainMusky

Weird.i know they can do it retroactively and still get the cap relief it just seems weird.

JoeMX1825
    MN

It’s likely $/cap/roster rules related reasoning for when they go on specific injury lists…

Ripjiggen

Reavo just keeps hitting career TOI minutes.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Coaches don’t typically play a defensive liability in the final minute of a 1 goal game right???

Just asking… ;)

icex

Does Kaprizov ever talk to the media? I heard his English is much improved. Don’t think I’ve ever seen him in a pre or post game interview. Given he’s the most popular and best player as well as the face of the franchise you’d think he’d put himself out there a little bit at least.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Does Kaprizov ever talk to the media? I heard his English is much improved. Don’t think I’ve ever seen him in a pre or post game interview. Given he’s the most popular and best player as well as the face of the franchise you’d think he’d put himself out there a little bit at least.

he’s done 1 sofar this season with Zuccy. Its just a comfort issue with the language, they arent going to force him to do them…. The Wild are starting to include him in their marketing videos more and more now, so the more comfortable he gets, the more interviews he’ll do…

Ripjiggen

We must be geniuses here. Playing Reavo 15 minutes. We must know something literally the whole NHL doesn’t.

Ripjiggen

Coaches don’t typically play a defensive liability in the final minute of a 1 goal game right???

Just asking… ;)

Guessing since we only played 3 lines and the other two just got scored on they didn’t really have a choice.

tswoboda

Reavo on ice protecting a lead is exactly what scares me about the trade. They’re jamming him into the lineup.

Maybe you’re all right and he’s just magically good defensively now based on 2 games. I guess a 35 YO leopard can change its spots… or in this case the self proclaimed king of the jungle

Ripjiggen

Sounds like Rossi finally being sent to Iowa. I think this will help him become a better player long term.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Reavo on ice protecting a lead is exactly what scares me about the trade. They’re jamming him into the lineup.

Maybe you’re all right and he’s just magically good defensively now based on 2 games. I guess a 35 YO leopard can change its spots… or in this case the self proclaimed king of the jungle

i’m just jokingly keeping the conversation going because its been in his favor after the 2 games…. )

I have no idea why Deano still has him playing with Ek and Foligno, he should only be a 4th liner with Shaw and Dewar and Greenway should be back on the GREEF line… I’ve noticed Greenway has been purposely avoiding alot of body checks since his return (likely told so by coaching staff until he works his body back) Perhaps thats why he hasn’t been reunited with Ek and Foligno yet??

I realize moving Greenway off guts the Goudreau & Boldy line, but they’ve been godawful the past 2 games, so who cares…. Call up Sami Walker or somebody else (Beckman) from Iowa and see if you can find anything positive until Duhaime comes back….

JoeMX1825
    MN

Gologoski has been -4 the last two games… no argument that his offensive game is better than alot of our current D options, but he’s also probably our biggest defensive liability now and thats why he spent X amount of games in the pressbox….

tswoboda

i’m just jokingly keeping the conversation going because its been in his favor after the 2 games….

I believe that’s called trolling, and I respect it. Gotta take advantage of good Reavo while you can!

Goose got cooked against Toronto playing with Dumba, which should surprise absolutely no one. That’s a pair that should have never happened and should never happen again. Thought he was OK with Merril but that’s against the Yotes so barely counts. It’s obvious Goose was carried by playing with Spurgeon last year but Spurge is glued to Middelton now so it’s tough to find a place in the lineup when he gets caved playing with the other 2 RHD.

I actually don’t mind the 11/7 lineup and it makes sense to get all 7 D involved, especially when they have a couple D that need to be sheltered. It’s not an every night lineup but a good tool to have in the bag. Tampa used it in the playoffs during their cup runs and the Blues used it to beat the Wild last spring. It was a disaster the first time the Wild tried it but they’re getting better with it now. The injuries and adversity is forcing Deano to mix it up this year which should help come April, May, and maybe even June woot Sticking with the same lineup for 4 months handcuffed them in the playoffs last year.

I agree it was dumb to leave Rossi sitting in the press box for so long. He should have been playing the games in Iowa this weekend. Hopefully he can turn his season around there quickly.

Addison making a point to keep his PP1 spot the last 2 games. That pass to KK on the Boldy one-timer goal was unreal. I didn’t even realize what happened in real time and was just like how the F did that puck just get to KK?!?! Every other D they’ve ever had run the PP would have safely jammed that puck right back down to the corner.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Sounds like Rossi finally being sent to Iowa. I think this will help him become a better player long term.

It will be very interesting to see how long he stays down there…Iowa plays 2 games BEFORE the Wild play again this week, so does he just stay down for the week or is this a longer term play? What does “get his confidence back” look like in terms of Iowa games played? How long does GMBG let the Kaprizov line struggle 5-5 before he removes Steel and replaces him with who?

I did find it interesting Russo reported that Deano said after playing with EVERY single possible line combination, Rossi hasn’t earned the opportunity to play with Kaprizov & Zuccy yet…wtf does that mean based on our other Center’s terrible play the start of the season? What did the others do to earn it?

questions questions…

CaptainMusky

How long does GMBG let the Kaprizov line struggle 5-5 before he removes Steel and replaces him with who?

Didnt they get 2 even strength goals yesterday? I agree much of their production have been on PP, but I think KK and Steel’s goals were both 5 on 5.

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>
    How long does GMBG let the Kaprizov line struggle 5-5 before he removes Steel and replaces him with who?

Didnt they get 2 even strength goals yesterday? I agree much of their production have been on PP, but I think KK and Steel’s goals were both 5 on 5.

Kaprizov scored with Ek & Foligno on the ice and then the Steel goal was 4-4 and the Kaprizov pass was intended for Spurgeon across ice and it deflected right to Steel in the crease, he whiffed on the first shot then stuffed it in… Reaves could of scored that goal )

CaptainMusky

Reaves could of scored that goal )

Let’s not get carried away here! Reaves did have the game winning goal for Vegas in the playoffs a few years ago and if memory serves me it was actually it nice shot.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Let’s not get carried away here! Reaves did have the game winning goal for Vegas in the playoffs a few years ago and if memory serves me it was actually it nice shot.
    [/quote]

just stoking the flames… )

My point is that let’s not give Steel any “See he scored and deserves the 1C spot still” credit with the goal… He hasn’t produced anything for that line since he got the promotion, most of the time Kirill and Zuccy look like they are playing shorthanded… but according to Deano, Steel earned that spot??

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

It will be very interesting to see how long he stays down there…Iowa plays 2 games BEFORE the Wild play again this week, so does he just stay down for the week or is this a longer-term play? What does “get his confidence back” look like in terms of Iowa games played?

He needs way more than just a week and I hope they leave him down there longer term. A centerman is going to take more time to develop, just look at Ek, the ever-patient Wild fanbase was declaring him an epic fail about 2 periods into his first season, but he got better and better.

It’s not like Rossi is old and it’s now or never. We’ve got to be realistic, I think last year the Wild defied gravity and had a number of players overperform and that led to a lot of hope the buyout pain wouldn’t sting all that bad. It was fun while it lasted…

There is no point in going into “win now” mode and rushing a player like Rossi. With this team, at this time, we’re not going to gain anything.

To me, the “wins” this season would be to straighten out the Wild’s power play so we have some confidence in it (so far, so good) and continue to develop some players like Boldy. Also, what’s our goaltending situation going to look like longer term? Lots of question marks and bottom line I’m not making plans for a deep playoff run.

JoeMX1825
    MN

It’s not like Rossi is old and it’s now or never. We’ve got to be realistic, I think last year the Wild defied gravity and had a number of players overperform and that led to a lot of hope the buyout pain wouldn’t sting all that bad. It was fun while it lasted…

There is no point in going into “win now” mode and rushing a player like Rossi. With this team, at this time, we’re not going to gain anything.

To me, the “wins” this season would be to straighten out the Wild’s power play so we have some confidence in it (so far, so good) and continue to develop some players like Boldy. Also, what’s our goaltending situation going to look like longer term? Lots of question marks and bottom line I’m not making plans for a deep playoff run.

yeah, I think that’s the plan inside the Wild Management room when the door is closed…get through the growing pains the next few years, accumulate assets that can be used as quality callups from Iowa in future seasons and then make the push to the cup…

tswoboda

There’s obviously no one with a real claim to earning to the 1C spot. It’s been a hole forever and it’s a glaring issue with Hartman out. I think they’re just handling Rossi differently than Freddy, Steel, Hartman, etc. They’re treating him as a prospect so it’s not just what’s best for the team but also what’s best for his development. Could he play with KK and Zuccy and maybe put up some points, I mean yeah even Victor Rask did that. But is being carried by 2 players who are notorious for ignoring their center the best for his development, probably not. I can see the argument for giving him a shot there but I think the staff wants him to at least show *something* before tossing him in that spot. Marco’s problem is he didn’t even show a pulse – no offense, no spark, nothing.

wormdunker

IF Rossi centers 97 and 36, Who is doing the dirty work to retrieve pucks, to prolong possessions? THAT is what a center needs to do on that line and Marco has not proven he can do that yet, not even close. They want Kirill shooting not wasting all his energy winning wall nd puck battles.

As far as Reaves on the moose ek line, coaches prefer not to break up every line just to make one piece fit. When Duhaime went out, should Dean mess with the other 2 lower lines that have been working just to fill a void? In doing so you create potential chemistry issues across 3 lines vs just adding Reaves to ek/moose. So the philosophy is, leave good enough alone and stick the new guy in the hole in the dam.

Nothing is permanent, when 18 is ready for L2 duty, he WILL be back there but he has not proven he is ready for those minutes.

Ripjiggen

yeah, I think that’s the plan inside the Wild Management room when the door is closed…get through the growing pains the next few years, accumulate assets that can be used as quality callups from Iowa in future seasons and then make the push to the cup…

That may very well be the plan, but if KK doesn’t resign coming out of the cap relief the whole plan is for not. I still think they need to be competitive and make the playoffs if they can. If they don’t I would be afraid KK says bye. Especially as they probabaly have an older declining Zucc.
    The owner obviously signed off on the plan but he is not someone that is known to be patient. BG will be in what year 6 or 7 when the contracts are up?

For the record I think Rossi will be fine. Most “experts” outside the organization do as well. If he and or Wallstedt don’t pan out it will be gigantic holes to try and fill in.

CaptainMusky

If they don’t I would be afraid KK says bye. Especially as they probabaly have an older declining Zucc.

I’m worried about that as well. 2 more years of those big cap hits from Suter/Parise, then we are clear sailing though. So we will have KK for 1 more year after those 2.

Ripjiggen

You are not going into his last year of his contract without knowing and having him walk. He would be dealt that summer going into the last year. First year outside large buyouts.

CaptainMusky

You are not going into his last year of his contract without knowing and having him walk. He would be dealt that summer going into the last year. First year outside large buyouts.

Dont disagree. I am sure they will be working with his folks to figure out an extension before then and decide from there what they have to do.

tswoboda

I am sure they will be working with his folks to figure out an extension before then and decide from there what they have to do.

And we know his “folks” aren’t going to make anything easy.

Ripjiggen

Agree. I don’t think Billy can play hard ball in this one. Going to probably have to give him whatever he asks for and guessing they know that. Fortunately if you are going to throw the bank at someone he is one that I would do it for as he seems like a guy that is not just going to get fat and happy after a mega deal.
    Gawd it is still a long time away.

If you don’t have a legit 1C plan by then, not sure what you do.

CaptainMusky

If you don’t have a legit 1C plan by then, not sure what you do.

I just hope they have someone better than what they have on their roster now. A true 1C is very dang hard to find. But someone better than Gaudreau or Hartman shouldnt be.

Viewing 30 posts - 1,741 through 1,770 (of 7,320 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.