2021 MN Wild/NHL Thread

• JoeMX1825
    MN

Its hard to believe with how good this team has been that they haven’t gotten past the second round since 2003. There were some very good teams there. This roster has been overhauled and continues to be overhauled. Tomorrow is going to be a wild day around the league and I would imagine that BG is very aggressive. Sounds like Cole is going to test the market, which makes sense, but both sides would still like to come together, but he has to test what is out there.

BG should take a swing at Pius Suter. That can happen today since he wasnt tendered a qualifying offer. He would be an upgrade.
    I would believe that BG will be in Moscow meeting with KK97 and his agent before too long if things dont come together. I dont think it needs to come to that, but its definitely a possibility.

Suspect goaltending and lack of scoring have been this franchises Achilles heel in the playoffs. Never has a Wild goalie stolen a playoff game before (maybe Talbot did in game 1 this year?) yet it seems to happen against us several times every post season. We also never had the star power players that could win a game by themselves (likely through power play performance)

If we can hang onto Kaprizov and Fiala and add some serious BEEF to the defense, then we have the proper pieces in place to be successful in the playoffs moving forward…

JoeMX1825
    MN

BG should take a swing at Pius Suter. That can happen today since he wasnt tendered a qualifying offer. He would be an upgrade.

I would reach out to Krejci camp first and see if he’s willing to come to the Wild and play 1C with Kaprizov and Zuc on a 2 year deal at around $4, with Puis Suter as a backup but i’m guessing he would want more term? Elephant in the room with him is how much his stats were padded playing with Kane and Debrincat?

CaptainMusky

I would reach out to Krejci camp first and see if he’s willing to come to the Wild and play 1C with Kaprizov and Zuc on a 2 year deal at around $4, with Puis Suter as a backup but i’m guessing he would want more term? Elephant in the room with him is how much his stats were padded playing with Kane and Debrincat?

Is Krejci UFA right? BG cannot talk to him until tomorrow right? That would certainly be a big upgrade.
    Suter can start already. Projections for contract I have seen for Suter are 4×4 which with Rask gone after this year its replacing those dollars. Is he worth that? I would think so.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Flower just traded to Chicago with no money retained, meh center prospect going back to Vegas…. lots of speculation that this was NOT what Fleury wanted and he might retire because of it…Chicago’s desperate hail-mary attempt at a final cup run with Kane and Toews?

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>

Is Krejci UFA right? BG cannot talk to him until tomorrow right? That would certainly be a big upgrade.

He’s a UFA for the first time in his career, I still don’t see him leaving the only team he’s ever played for, but I guess he’s had issues with management there lately…He also might want to move out of Bergeron’s shadow and get the 1C gig he’s never had? He’s one of those players who seems like he’s not aging, but I still think a 2 year deal is likely the max he could get at age 35….

Ice Cap

I think I read recently Krejci publicly said if he don’t sign with the Bruins he will retire. It’s probably the right thing to do for him. Always been a Bruin and it’s not always easy to transfer into another system after playing in only one your entire career.

Ripjiggen

Flower just traded to Chicago with no money retained, meh center prospect going back to Vegas…. lots of speculation that this was NOT what Fleury wanted and he might retire because of it…Chicago’s desperate hail-mary attempt at a final cup run with Kane and Toews?

This is going to get weird.

JoeMX1825
    MN

This is going to get weird.

I guess he found out via twitter (according to his agent) Vegas never contacted him about it before or afterwards, I guess he told them last year if they trade him, he will retire…He’s a GOD in Vegas, this will have huge negative reaction from the fanbase, especially after he won the Vezina last year…

CaptainMusky

Flower stabbed in the back twice.
    Krejci re-signing with the Bruins. Makes sense. OK BG, what you got?

JoeMX1825
    MN

Dakota Mermis signed sealed and delivered! bam! just like that the franchise is saved!!

CaptainMusky

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>

Dakota Mermis signed sealed and delivered! bam! just like that the franchise is saved!!

LOL, I liked him when he played but yeah, that isn’t a needle mover really.

Ice Cap

Alex Goligoski and Nick Foligno will not exactly be needle movers either but I think that’s the best we can hope for happening tomorrow. Unless we get a Eichel surprise but that moves the needle the other way imo.

There just aren’t centers out there that are going to drastically improve the middle for the Wild and that’s what Kaprizov wants to see. You can’t give the kid what you can’t get. As mentioned you can’t blame him for not wanting Rask as his center but I think a Eichel deal just to satisfy Kaprizov (if that even will) blows this franchise up for a long long time.

CaptainMusky

An Eichel deal would most certainly hurt more than help if what it would take to get him is at all real. No way should BG do that. Let Buffalo stew on him and be forced to trade him at the deadline.
    This would allow teams to evaluate post surgery if that is the route he goes.

Ripjiggen

Rossi will be a better center than Rask out of the gate. Goligoski? I thought BG said he wants to add some beef? Wild will be lucky to crack 6ft avg on D at this point.
    The Eichel rumors are weird. I mean he is just kind of hanging out with no time table to either have the surgery or not to have it. No way he gets traded here without giving Rossi in return so there will still be a center depth issue.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Rossi will be a better center than Rask out of the gate. Goligoski? I thought BG said he wants to add some beef? Wild will be lucky to crack 6ft avg on D at this point.
    The Eichel rumors are weird. I mean he is just kind of hanging out with no time table to either have the surgery or not to have it. No way he gets traded here without giving Rossi in return so there will still be a center depth issue.

my guess is they would prefer Boldy over Rossi… they passed on Rossi last draft…

CaptainMusky

Tampa Bay doing Tampa Bay things again. Here we go. Taking on Seabrook FFS close that loophole NHL.

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

my guess is they would prefer Boldy over Rossi… they passed on Rossi last draft…

They will want a center prospect in return they just lost their 1 and 2 center. If they don’t get one in return we don’t have enough to make the trade.

Ripjiggen

Tampa Bay doing Tampa Bay things again. Here we go. Taking on Seabrook FFS close that loophole NHL.

It takes two teams to make a trade. If other teams are willing to work that trade can’t be to many GM’s that are against it.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

You want Tampa to forfeit next year? They have to become cap compliant through whatever means are allowed. Seabrook is not coming back for the playoffs, he’s done.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Russo’s latest article brought up a name I hadn’t thought about since he left. Nick Seeler. I would take him back on our third pairing in a second. I still think he got a raw deal from Fenton after an injury. I would think he’s be affordable and he’s big and physical.

CaptainMusky

You want Tampa to forfeit next year? They have to become cap compliant through whatever means are allowed. Seabrook is not coming back for the playoffs, he’s done.

Well considering Vegas just traded Fleury for an empty water bottle they could have gone that route rather than trade for “Gaborik” again.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Sadly, from a FA excitement perspective, it will be a very boring next 4 years as we get through the dark cap days post buyouts. Guys most teams likely don’t want anymore coming here to basically end their career on a cheap 1-2 year deal…

The good thing is that we have a ton of exciting young prospects who can fill that void and they don’t cost x2 their true value like a FA does…

as mentioned by others, it sounds like all of the more intriguing short term center options (Krejci/Stasny) are signing/resigning elsewhere, that will leave us with the slower & older options until Rossi and other prospects are ready…I can envision Kaprizov rolling his eyes in disgust at the thought of another season playing with “Rasky”, hopefully Rossi surprises everyone and is somehow ready to play right away or at least gets everyone excited in camp at what’s coming up from Iowa hopefully early/mid-season….

Ripjiggen

Just in time for KK and most likely Fiala to say bye bye.

tswoboda

Please tell me how acquiring Seabrook helps Tampa’s cap situation.

Spoiler alert… it doesn’t.

tswoboda

(Krejci/Stasny) are signing/resigning elsewhere, that will leave us with the slower & older options

Who is slower and older than those 2? Are we pulling Mikko out of retirement?

JoeMX1825
    MN

(Krejci/Stasny) are signing/resigning elsewhere, that will leave us with the slower & older options

Who is slower and older than those 2? Are we pulling Mikko out of retirement?

Those 2 can still play the position well, win faceoffs and be puck distributors to their wingers, yes they are slower, but speed was never part of their games to begin with…

I’d love to hear your better options that are realistically available…

JoeMX1825
    MN

Please tell me how acquiring Seabrook helps Tampa’s cap situation.

Spoiler alert… it doesn’t.

It helps both teams, Chicago gets a capable player and a 2nd round draft pick instead of just making the LTIR payments and Tampa gets the LTIR payments instead of the $5 million caphit and it only cost them a 2nd round pick…its a lever only the big market teams typically pull…

tswoboda

Those 2 can still play the position well, win faceoffs and be puck distributors to their wingers, yes they are slower, but speed was never part of their games to begin with…

I’d love to hear your better options that are realistically available…

Granlund is going to market.

Also, it was a joke. Statsny and Krejci are fine players, I never said they were bad. You picked the two oldest guys available and then said the Wild’s targets will have to be even older and slower. Can you tell me who is older and slower than the 2 guys you mentioned? E. Staal and Getzlaf… that’s the extent of UFA centers that are older than Statsny and Krejci.

tswoboda

It helps both teams, Chicago gets a capable player and a 2nd round draft pick instead of just making the LTIR payments and Tampa gets the LTIR payments instead of the $5 million caphit and it only cost them a 2nd round pick…its a lever only the big market teams typically pull…

I’m with you, Tampa is using cash as a trade asset – and not every team has the means do that. But it’s not anything close to cap circumvention. Moving Tyler Johnson is what gives them cap relief, acquiring Seabrook is just Tampa spending cash instead of another asset.

Hockey twitter and some people on this thread seem to think Seabrook’s contract magically brings all this extra cap space to the Bolts, and that’s just not the case. There’s this big internet outrage about Tampa acquiring Seabrook that I just don’t understand.

JoeMX1825
    MN

How about Toronto REFUSING 2 draft picks to merely trade Hyman to Edmonton so he could sign a 8 year deal vs a 7 year deal. Toronto didn’t want to give the Oilers the lower caphit from adding the extra year. These next few years capspace is everything…

Viewing 30 posts - 3,211 through 3,240 (of 3,757 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.