2020 jeep compass trail hawk

• The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

The check engine light came on on my jeep on Wednesday so I brought it to the dealership, 30 minutes later the shop manager comes out and says well good news and bad news! He said good news is you have a extended warranty, bad news is engine is bad!! What the heck! This jeep has had all service done on time and by them. 53 k on jeep. He said excessive blow back? Anyone else had this happen? It is the 4 cylinder 2.4 I believe. T.I.A

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I have always heard never buy a Jeep. I never have so I don’t know if that is really true, but it’s always what I’ve been told. Glad you have the warranty to cover it. Hope the new one lasts the way it should.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Good time to warranty and trade it in.

hdog3385

A quick google search brings up what sounds like a known issue with the piston rings not mating correctly with the cylinders on that particular engine. That would certainly explain your blowby issues. I’m guessing your powertrain warranty is 60,000 miles like most gas engines now days. It’s a known issue but won’t be proactively fixed cuz if the engine lasts till 60,001 they are off the hook.

Do you check your oil regularly? Did you notice the oil level getting lower? How many miles on your OCI (oil change interval)? I know you said it’s been dealer maintained and that’s good since it doesn’t give the dealer much wiggle room to deny your warranty. The bad part about dealer maintained is the 18 year old lube tech dumping your oil in a giant tub isn’t going to notice if your 2 qts. low.

I’m also not a believer in the extended OCI’s all manufacturers are pushing nowadays. Engines are being built with such tighter tolerances than they used to be, they absolutely need clean oil. Cams, lifters, timing chains, and turbos all need proper lubrication. And the dealer is using the cheapest bulk semi-synthetic they can get their hands on.

I know not everyone has the time or ability to do their own maintenance like I do. But I keep my vehicles a long time and the peace of mind knowing it was done right with the best products I can get my hands on helps me sleep a little better at night.

The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

Have not noticed much on oil consumption I do check it regularly and do oil at 3500 miles either way seems way to early for a engine to fail

hdog3385

Yep, nothing I wrote after the first paragraph would have saved your engine if it failed from the rings not properly mating. Guess I turned it into more of a personal rant. Sorry, hope everything works out.

Iowaboy1

That stinks Scratcher!!
    Just Empty Every Pocket, here we go with the car jokes!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.