2019 Deer regulations "What a joke"

• blank

Great post Mr. Winther.

That 3- or 4-year-old buck you pass up for next year might just die from a disease that is 100% fatal before you get to see it again.
    No big deal? Let it run its course?

I like that you mentioned the 3 or 4 year old bucks. Deer are easy to grow and they grow quickly. So many people can’t seem to think beyond the short term. Sure the intensive harvest will make hunters success tough for a few years, but in the long term I think it’s the right thing to do, especially when you think of the long term impacts (known or unknown) that CWD could have on not only hunting, but our health.

basseyes

Killing all the deer on the farm doesn’t remove the prions from the ground because they’re pretty much there forever and just re-infect deer once they return.

Agreed.

So if we are really looking out for humans and the deer herds long term well being, what does reducing herds temporarily solve?

If long term unknowns are such a concern, what does short term herd reductions solve, when it lives in the soil? It’ll continually cycle and return indefinitely.

Not trying to be combative or a thorn, but the long term well being of humans and the deer herd have little to do with short term herd reductions. It’s a feel good approach to make it seem like something is being done. If we are that concerned and it’s that big of a deal, which I think it probably is, shouldn’t the area it was found in be a ground zero type scenario and every deer removed aggressively from that area and deer kept heavily suppressed and off that landscape?

Bird feeders, ag fields, deer feeders, anywhere deer congregate, those deer should be eliminated by any means necessary. If not, it’s doomed to failure and the spread will continue no matter our efforts. It’s impossible to kill every deer in that area, and in turn nearly impossible to accurately monitor its spread. Testing deer is no more than monitoring the progression or spread of cwd on a minuscule level. Yes, it gives the dnr an idea off models and data. All the deer tested and the odd ball they find dead in January is a positive, what are the odds?

8,600 deer tested and not one positive.

One found randomly and it tests positive.

We hunt in 178 ne of 604 and I don’t want cwd in 178. Am all for applicable measures to curb it’s spread and finding a way to eliminate cwd. But when the dnr thinks they are going to eliminate it by a couple years of herd reductions, I personally question their validity when it lives in the soil for a long time.

basseyes

DNR confirms new CWD-positive wild whitetail north of Brainerd

blank

Basseyes, while the prions are in the soil, I think the herd reductions help buy time for further scientific studies on the disease. Sure, you could enact severe measures to totally kill off the deer in an area and keep them suppressed, but there are already plenty of people who are strongly opposed to what the DNR is doing already as being too severe. But then again, anything the DNR does will have plenty of people who will hate their decisions, whether they are drastic measures or sit on their hands and do nothing.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

Agree, it’s not a long-term answer. I think the hope of intensive harvest is that it buys time to seek other solutions and slows the spread. Stopping deer from being loaded into trucks and shipped around the state/country might help a bit too?

I am willing to believe (maybe more than some) that DNR staff are doing the best they can based on the science that’s available.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

So, I am a lucky person who hunts in one of the new CWD zones, zone 604 if memory serves after looking last night.

So, the history goes that a deer farm in Merrifield had a deer test positive for CWD several years ago. They could have had the entire herd tested, which would have meant they would have been killed, but the owner “opted” not to which the DNR then enacted the CWD testing which has been in place the subsequent years.

Last winter a deer in the area was struck and killed by a car and it was apparently affected by CWD which now leads us to this “management” of basically killing every deer in the area.

I find it ridiculous that if a restaurant fails a health inspection they get shut down by the government, but if a deer farm has infected animals they are allowed to continue operations.

This deer farm has since destroyed their entire herd from what I have been told, but why was it allowed to for so long after the initial diagnosis?

Also, it sure would be nice if they could develop a test for this that could involve testing a live animal.

I hunt the same area. Pretty upset about this. Then you have the people trying to figure out how many deer they can shoot. We finally got our population of deer back in our 1000 acres we own after chasing the wolves off a few years back.

Deleted

Can I take a harvested deer from CWD management zone 645 to CWD management zone 646 before I get the CWD test cleared? Is zone to zone movement ok within the management zones?

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Can I take a harvested deer from CWD management zone 645 to CWD management zone 646 before I get the CWD test cleared? Is zone to zone movement ok within the management zones?

My understanding is that you are ok within the cwd management zone you are ok, you just can’t move it into the control Zone or ‘regular’ zones, bit I am not a warden either.

Jeff mattingly
    Lonsdale, Mn

Does anyone know if I can hunt statewide A season 338 then hunt the CWD zone 649 in the B season. The way i read it is Any statewide A or B can hunt CWD zones. Any thoughts?

Viewing 9 posts - 61 through 69 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.