2018 WX 2060 review

• to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

I’m 3 months into my new WX2060 purchased from The Boat Center in Chippewa Falls and I thought I’d give a review of my experience to date.

This is my 3rd purchase from SBC in CF and I worked with Justin on all of them. Justin, Dean, Sean, Brian, Eric and the rest of the crew there are nothing short of awesome. Every part of the purchase through rigging and taking care of things after the fact are flawless. These guys just do what it takes to provide the best customer service I have experienced in any large item purchase.
    Background: I started with an MX 1825 with the inline 4 200. I loved fishing out of that boat, but I have a tendency to run very heavy and do quite a bit of Salmon fishing which involves tons of extra gear (downriggers, rod trees, extra rod holders, 14 or more Salmon rods and reels, A big cooler full of ice, etc). As much as I liked this boat, for my use, it just wasn’t up to the task. I went from there to the MX2025 which got me loads more power with the 300 and more room aboard which was great. I also loved fishing in this boat, but over time with more and more trips to big water, I grew tired of the ride. It’s a very capable boat, but you do need to slow down quite a bit to keep from pounding in big waves.
    In June, I traded the MX2025 in on the WX2060 and have been VERY happy ever since. Going into this purchase, I was sure I would get the better ride in big waves I was looking for, but somewhat apprehensive dropping down in motor size on a slightly longer, wider, deeper, heavier boat. I’m not a “speed guy” by any means, but wanted to make sure I wasn’t giving too much up in low end grunt to haul my heavy loads around. I’m happy to say that I honestly can’t tell the difference in low/mid range power from the 300 to the 250 SHO. There might be a slight decrease in overall speed, but not more than 1-2 MPH tops. No big deal in my book.
    I was also apprehensive about the height of the fishing decks and higher sides. While I certainly did notice the difference, so far for me it’s been a non-issue. I got used to the WX very quickly from the front deck and I no longer even notice the different in fishing height from the water. This isn’t the greatest setup if you’re planning to skip docks, or trying to get a bait under some trees near shore, but the MX wasn’t great for that either. The deck was lower, but I always found the trolling motor to be in the way.
    Since I do a lot of trolling at times and especially when Salmon fishing I was really looking forward to having some seating on the back deck so I could leave the back two pedestal seats at home. I think the older model jump seats would have been fine, and I was not sure about the newer center bench seat. Again, I’m happy to report that I’m not disappointed in any way here. I really like the layout of the center bench and in fact, I hardly ever have the 2 back pedestal seats in the boat. We typically fish 3 guys on Lake Michigan and the guy on the back bench was just as comfortable for the ride out as the guys in the drive and passenger seats. This center back seat is also easily removed, so you can put it on the front storage compartment when not needed.
    Big water capability?……AWESOME! Justin made sure to get me in a boat with trim tabs and hydraulic jack plate since he knows how I fish and what I’m looking for. This combo is great for driving in big water. Those trim tabs can be adjusted to balance the load, and to keep the bow down when conditions call for it. The jack plate is great for dropping down for better control in waves, or to bring up to reduce drag when the going gets easy. I’m honestly astonished by how much better the WX2060 handles in waves than the MX2025. It’s really a night and day difference. This was my number 1 goal for making the switch and I’m completely pleased in this area.
    Storage: The side rod locker is different than the 2025 and pretty much only holds 2 rods since the gunnels are narrower. This is fine with me since I only store my long Dipsy Diver rods in there. The front rod locker will still take a bunch of long rods. The back storage compartments are awesome and I’d say the front storage is about the same.

Remote hydraulic kicker: Totally awesome! Way better than having to kneel on the back deck in big waves to tilt the motor down, install the steering connector rod, etc. This kicker I tilt from the driver seat, start from the driver seat, and control the speed from the driver seat. No need to risk going on the back deck in big waves. Very happy with the new kicker.

Negatives: They are few and pretty minor, but must be mentioned. This hull (at least mine) is trim sensitive. If you have much weight in the boat and try to trim at all between 28-38 MPH it will start to porpoise and won’t stop until you either drop off plane, speed up over 38 MPH, or start dropping the trim tabs. This is a bummer because the boat isn’t running free without a little trim. With the motor down, the bow is being forced down and fuel economy takes a hit. It would be great if Skeeter could find a way to fix this issue. On the bright side, with the trim tabs, you can combat this and make porpoising go away completely. At this same speed range (28-38 MPH), the boat is what I would call “squirely” for lack of a better term. An ever so slight steer into the wind / waves will cause the boat to list that direction. Turn it just a bit the other way and the boat lists back over the other way. This too can be controlled by trim tabs, so it’s just a minor annoyance for me, but might be a bigger deal if the boat was purchased without tabs. While I do really like the center seat on the back deck, it is a bit annoying if you want to put a fish in the livewell. You need to flip the bottom cushion forward to open the hatch on the lid, then when you pull the lid open, the seat needs to flip back and hits the back rest. It’s not a big deal, but just one of those minor annoyances. I don’t typically put fish in the livewell, so no biggy for me, but might really be an issue for others. The new Fulton F2 jack LOOKS much beefier, but I can assure you it’s not. Put a little side pressure on this thing and the cast aluminum snaps like dried out twig.

The best part? IT CATCHES FISH……..big……….and small……..

to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

some pictures from this summer

Attachments:
    1. 20180711_181851.jpg

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Thanks for your review. One suggestion for you regarding the livewell. Just leave the latch upside down and the live well lid will open easily with the deck cushion on. as worked just fine for my days in the 2060.

I was able to get 2 trolling rods in each slot on the side rod storeage and 4 bottom bouncer rods on the bottom. For a total of 8 rods. The 2019 model did get changed though and is more user friendly.

to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

Thanks Dean! I didn’t realize I could leave the latch upside down……duh on my part. That should make things much easier.

I should have qualified on the side rod storage. When I say room for two rods, I’m talking about rods with HUGE reels on them. I could see easily stuffing more rods with smaller reels in there. Overall rod storage in this boat is not an issue at all. My Salmon fishing buddies are amazed when I show up with 12-14 rods from 8 ft to 11.5 ft all with huge reels on them, and they are all in storage. Last trip I even snuck 8 walleye trolling rods in for a quick trip the other way out the harbor to the Green Bay side.

Joejk81

Switch to a Bravo 1 prop and the difference is astounding. I run a 2016 WX2060 and ran the Yamaha 3 blade since new. I recently dinged that prop on LOTW so I ordered a Bravo1. Porposing is gone! I actually did a holeshot the other day at 3/4 trim to test the bite…. Bow only bounced 3 times! If you tried that with the factory prop it would have just blew out or bounced you to death. I can stay on plane down to 18mph and I don’t have trim tabs yet! I will be running one of these props on every boat from here on. If you try one I’d try the 20 pitch and go from there. I had the 21 but I needed more rpm under heavy load so I had it worked a bit.

Dean Marshall

I have heard good things about the Bravo prop. My concern with the few I have driven is the lack of rpms with that prop. Long term, only hitting 54 to 55 rpms is not ideal.

Joejk81

I was running just about 5700@56mph wich wasn’t bad. I run 5900@57mph with the M21 3 blade. I should get some time to test shortly but I should be in the 5900+ range with the Bravo then. Don’t worry Dean I may be a dumb truck driver but I got it figured out:-)

Andrew Rice

Some great info here!

I’ll admit I don’t know, what is the danger of not get WOT up to 5900+? Lugging the engine too much? Not cleaning out the carbon or getting up to operating temp?

Dean Marshall

I was running just about 5700@56mph wich wasn’t bad. I run 5900@57mph with the M21 3 blade. I should get some time to test shortly but I should be in the 5900+ range with the Bravo then. Don’t worry Dean I may be a dumb truck driver but I got it figured out:-)

LOL I know you do !Good to hear you have it dialed !

Joejk81

I

Some great info here!

I’ll admit I don’t know, what is the danger of not get WOT up to 5900+? Lugging the engine too much? Not cleaning out the carbon or getting up to operating temp?

They like the SHO to run closer to 6k rpm. Peak horsepower is at 5750rpm so Yamaha wants them at or over that I believe. I believe the offshore 300 max hp is closer to 5500rpm.

Dean Marshall

Both motors 250 & 300 you want to be as close to 6000 rpm for optimum performance.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.