2018 Skeeter WX2190 – my first test

• Scott Gergen
    Hastings, MN

I was able to take my new-to-me 2018 WX2190 out for a week of fishing on Rainy Lake last week. The conditions were quite lousy with lots of precipitation and wind. Perfect to put the WX2190 to the test!

Bottom line up front: Everything you’ve read about the 2190 being a big water machine is true.

I’m coming out of a Ranger 619, so I’m familiar with glass boat ride. This rig is considerably bigger and it acts like it. I was able to run 2 footers with impunity and 3 foot plus with confidence and a good level of comfort. Running the standard F300 Yamaha on an Atlas jackplate with a 22p Bravo 4-blade. Lots of bite and I was able to keep the bow firmly planted to eat up the waves.

Room in the boat: (A+) It’s 21.5′ long with a ton of room behind the nice, tall windshield.
    Storage capacity: (A-) Tons of bow storage. Rod locker is gigantic and I like having no tubes, side storage for trolling rigs.
    Fit & Finish: (A-) I like that Skeeter uses Torx head screws for mounting everything. Stuff was tight, fit well.
    Comfort: (A) It’s a wave crusher. It’s a cruiser. It is VERY comfortable.
    Fishability: (A) All 4 cockpit pedestals can swivel and fit your knees between gunwale…easily. Tracked great!
    Performance: (A) The F300 jumps this boat on plane out of the hole. 54 mph with full fuel, 3 guys, all tackle.
    Dry ride: (A) Never took one over the bow when trolling into 3+ foot waves, totally dry ride at speed.
    Economy: (A) I couldn’t believe that I could get 3.97 mpg in mixed use over 40 gallons of fuel. Based on real gallons filled, not the gauges. Although, my consumption reading on the gauge was within a gallon – most accurate gauge I’ve ever had in any of my boats! This was a mix of extended idling (it was COLD out, let motor warm up), lots of cruising between 30-40mph, a few stints of WOT. No trolling – used the 9.9 kicker for that. Compare/contrast this to my buddy who has a new 200 V-Rod on his Ranger MS1880 and he was using at least 25% more fuel with similar usage in the same conditions. Wow!

I did get a little wetness in my glovebox – not sure why or where that came from. We were in the rain and sleet. A lot. Should NOT leak. Baitwells and livewell were perfect, everything worked like it should. I liked the lid locks/handles on my Ranger better – especially in the cold. Love having all 4 batteries in the floor – charger worked perfect on my AGM’s. Extra height on the windshield was VERY noticeable and much appreciated. Seats were comfortable even with no seat suspension systems installed.

Love it so far!

Scott

trapsht
    Rockford, Il

Great to hear!! I brought my new 2017 wx 2190 home this past weekend, and will be giving her the maiden voyage this weekend.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

I’m envious! Not sure I read the post…. expect I know for sure to never get in one and see how nice being in a boat could be )

Congrats on the nice ride….

grizzly
    nebraska

good to hear a good report, got my new 2190 couple months ago and only had time to get 2 hrs. on it. cant wait to get it back out

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

SG–great boat review. How was the fishing?

James Wascko
    S.W Michigan for now.

Congratulations on the new boat and it’s always an awesome experience when it performs as well if not better then you hoped.

Hope it’s an easy fix on the wet glove box.

Scott Gergen
    Hastings, MN

SG–great boat review. How was the fishing?

Thanks!

Fishing was all-in-all, pretty lousy. Walleye were belly to the bottom and, for the most part, inactive. Crappies were out of the river and back in the main lake. Cribs and spots where we’ve found them suspended in deep water were completely empty. Pretty good wind every day, later in the week we had 40 mph winds and true 5 footers (and better…) on the main lake. There wasn’t a day when my hands didn’t take a beating from the cold.

We scraped together enough walleye for a couple of nice fish meals and a couple of appetizers, but that was about it.

Been going up there for 10+ years in the fall and this was the worst bite we’ve ever had. But, I chalk that up to the weather – Rainy Lake is just a walleye factory.

On the plus side, the fall colors were spectacular!

Scott

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I don’t think Rainy is the walleye factory it was 5 years ago. Glad the boat performed up to expectations. toast

Dan Aune

how do you like your atlas jack plate? I am thinking about putting one on my 2100 but not much info on the setback. Any thoughts?

Pauleye
    Onamia

how do you like your atlas jack plate? I am thinking about putting one on my 2100 but not much info on the setback. Any thoughts?

I was told that a Jack plate on a 2100 will void warranty.

captddh
    Cannon Falls, MN

Congrats on your new 2190. I’ve enjoyed mine for 2+ years now. A joy to fish with room for everything you might ever need to fish.

Scott Gergen
    Hastings, MN

Like mine, came with the boat which I bought in Fall 2018 from a local Skeeter rep. Works great at all speeds – very solid.

No idea about warranty on 2100. Suggest you call Dean Marshall at The Boat Center and inquire. Good luck!

Scott

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.