2015/16 Results

• Nic Barker
    Central WI-Northern IL

So I am going to start this topic as a thread for all predator hunting results, and mine will be in here as well.

With that said, I went 1/2 this morning. Headed to the neighbors property here at my parents home, and set up in the only open area, I could with all the corn still up so I was sitting next to a tree in the mowed grass area of the crick bottom. 12ish minutes in I see a brown object slinking through the grass. Turns out it’s a double, two coyote were coming down along the fenceline dividing cornfield from the more mowed and open crick bottom. I let them come in till 65-75 yards and dropped one there. The second started off and due to them being on the opposite side of the crick I had to stand up to see aound some brush, I barked and stopped the second dog, but shooting offhand with my adrenaline going I rushed the shot and didn’t connect. But either way first real hunt of the season and I’m on the board.

Calls used- Western Rivers Navajo to open with pup distress
    Quaker Boy Double Trouble/Dog (not sure of actual
    name)
    Firearm- HR Handi Rifle with the heavy barrel in .223

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20150927_072240570.jpg

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Nice result! Great to start the season with a bang, looks like you dispatched one of this year’s pups.

I’ve had good luck in the early season in the past. I got one a year ago last October on the first stand, first time out. She came roaring without a care in the world and ran right over the top of my call.

I’m looking forward to getting out the next time I go to my property. I have at least one coyote that’s been showing up on trail cams there, and that one needs to get gone as I don’t need any more fawn eaters.

Grouse

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I’m headed back to SD this coming weekend with the call packed in case the deer hunting conditions are perfect. Way to go!

Nic Barker
    Central WI-Northern IL

Well I just got in from a night set. Let’s just say it’s a long story and it ended in a missed opportunity. bawling doah bawling But the worst part is immediately after pulling into my parents driveway and parking, I hear 2-3 just light up and start making a commotion literally what sounds like on top of where I had been hunting. The property I hunt is half a mile down the road, and they sounded like they were right there… flame flame I’m starting to think it’s personal. Back at it in a few hours in the morning for a couple sets. Hopefully the stuck around.

Nic Barker
    Central WI-Northern IL

Skunked this am, did see a nice buck out in the fields but no predators showed. I certainly had about 5 crows convinced and circling.

Nic Barker
    Central WI-Northern IL

Full moon and snow yielded me nothing last night, and again they started howling after I called it quits. It’s really rather personal I am not liking this taunting they are giving me. But one of these nights they are going to slip up and I’ll be ready.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Anybody manage to put any yotes down over T-giving?

I got out in the late morning on Friday 11/27. Only did two stands, but on the first stand all in the sudden the bluejays started scolding something about 100 yards into the woods. I couldn’t for the life of me pick out anything on the ground, but wonder if we didn’t have one come in and hang up?

Other than that, pretty tough. I was north of the Cities where there is no snow on the ground, so visibility is tough right now.

Will hit it again next weekend.

Anybody getting any action on coyotes or fox?

Grouse

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I shot 2 on Friday after Thanksgiving. Nothing special in calling. Was set up in my deer stand and saw one at 500 or so yrds out. Couple of loud lip squeaks and it trotted in to about 150yrds and i dumped it. Mid afternoon a second one was wondering down a wood line on the other side of the field. I let him get to about 90 yrds, barked at him, and I introduced him to Mr. Barnes TSX. The entrance was boring – but the exit was spectacular.

Nic Barker
    Central WI-Northern IL

Hunted this am before the wind picked up. First set of the morning with the new snow we have hear was awesome. One yote for the morning, he popped out of brushy fencerow at a touch over 100 and I let the 22-250 finally get to eat.

Hand calls and the savage axis 22-250 got it done today.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20151219_072308474.jpg

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Sweet! Nice job!

Nic Barker
    Central WI-Northern IL

I’ve been hunting coyotes all wrong…..

My mother returned to the house tonight and as soon as she entered she exclaims she watched a coyote cross the road just up the road from our house. So I being the addict I am went out in the back yard which faces out into the giant picked bean field, and started making a racket. Low and behold 75yds out in the field and less than 175 from the house in the direction I was not facing appears a coyote… I held the light, rested the rifle on a fencepost and pulled the trigger and holy smokes it went down…that makes my first night kill and second with the ole 22-250 peace peace peace peace peace yay yay yay yay yay yay yay

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20151222_185430449.jpg

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Ha ha ha!……. That’s just good fun right there!

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Nice work on the night yote chased chased

I would email the DNR direct to get their take on the use of a rifle in southern MN.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I crawled into a box blind out in SD yesterday morning with high hopes. -5 degrees. I spotted a dog about 1/2 mile out but he wouldn’t be fooled by any of the sounds I threw his way. Got cold and called it a morning.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

My understanding is you can use rifle for predators even in shotgun deer zones. I have talked to a few wardens.

deertracker

What are the restrictions for coyote hunting? I am in southern minnesota, specifically in an area where rifles are not allowed during deer season. Does that mean I also am not able to use them hunting ‘yotes? I looked in the DNR book but wasnt able to find anything. Thank you!

It is very hard to find anything regarding regulations for yotes. With that said I have also been told that rifles are fine anywhere in the state.
    DT

Nic Barker
    Central WI-Northern IL

Just ordered the Primos turbo dog, Cabela’s had a good deal in the bargain cave so I caved and decided to try it. Seeing as my Western Rivers Navajo finally called it quits, This will be my last venture into electronic calls for awhile if this lasts great if not I will be creating a selection of hand calls to use and go that route.
    Now hopefully the conditions come together this weekend to put down my first WI yote.

Nic Barker
    Central WI-Northern IL

Spent most of the day today making sets and went 0-6, plenty of tracks in the areas just no responses or sightings…cold winds didn’t help in some stands but oh well. First time I carried double guns as the shotgun made its debut today with a lot of the stands being in thicker areas but no luck was to be had.

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

Rifles have always been legal in southern minn for predators. … rrr

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.