2011 Lund 1950 Tyee opinions

• bigpike

Anybody have input on this boat. I’m into boat camping and I like gear. Thanks for a response!

Karry Kyllo

Big boat with a ton of room. I’d love one.

empty_stringer
    Wahkon, Mn

My buddy gets a new one every 3-4 years, very nice boat. No issues with it. It has high sides so boat control when fishing in windy conditions can be challenging. Also probably need a ladder to board when nosed on land.

bigpike

I’m looking for a big water boat. I’m 60 miles from Superior and the Apostle Islands so that’s my base point for usage.

Karry Kyllo

A 2011 1950 Tyee should work for you.

Timmy

Stepping up from an 1850 tyee to a 200proV hewescraft, I was blown away by the difference in comfort and fishability. The durability coupled with the room for hauling gear put the hewes head and shoulders above the lund for my purposes.

bigpike

I’ll look into hewescraft.

I was looking a little older but was scared away by transom issues with the early to mid 2000-2010…..

Timmy

If I were doing it right now, I would look hard into the west coast boats and make a trip out there to get one. A few days of travel could save you multiple thousands…. like all desirable rigs right now, supply is scarce and prices are high, but patience can still be rewarded.

John Peterson
    Woodbury, Minnesota

I have experience as a Tyee owner. Some of my thoughts:

The 2011 1950 should have a fairly large fuel tank (45ga.-55ga.) that will be helpful for large bodies of water.
    I would recommend checking the flooring for soft spots that may have developed.
    Also the transom can be a weak spot as well (See the many posts on the web regrading this). These can be VERY EXPENSIVE repairs.
    Make sure the boat is maxed out in terms of outboard power (probably 200hp -225hp). I have seen 1950s with 150HP outboards. While this may be OK for smaller lakes but the loss of performance on large bodies of water and/or with heavier loads will be very noticeable.

Tyees are great boats if they fit your needs.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Tyee is a great big water boat, I’d have no reservations about it. The West Coast boats are nice and more solid, but also sacrifice a bit in creature comforts from my experience looking at them.

bigpike

Tyee is a great big water boat, I’d have no reservations about it. The West Coast boats are nice and more solid, but also sacrifice a bit in creature comforts from my experience looking at them.

It also would be tough for me buying a boat site unseen and never even been inside one. It could be a long trip home from the coast.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

It could be a long trip home from the coast.

By land or by sea? rotflol

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

bigpike the Hewescrafts aren’t for me but there is a dealer up here in International Falls that has some in the lot. Badicks I think is how you spell it. Be sure to give them a call if you wanna take a look. Good luck to you.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

There is a Hewes dealer in Eau Claire and 1 in De Pere Wisconsin. Also a dealer in Int. Falls.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

I’ve got a 2012 1850 and it has been awesome so far. Its got a 175 Verado on the back and with a stock aluminum prop in good conditions I’ve topped 50 gps.
    I fish Superior and family camp up in Voyageurs NP for most of my trips. The boat has handled the waters just fine (but Mother Nature still has her days on Rainy, Namakan and Superior).
    Good fishing platform for Superior, the freeboard can make big water reef fishing for eyes with the TM in winds a challenge tho. Ive got a 80# Terrova/60″ on mine. I’ve thought of a kicker but havnt pulled the trigger, I can troll down to 2.5 on superior with the Verado and under 2 with a bag or 2 out.
    Great family boat, mine came with the ladder on back, ski pylon, full cushion set up front and a full topset so I can completely enclose the boat in storms when we’re out camping in VNP.
    We pack a weeks worth of camping gear for 4 in the boat (and my wife doesnt pack light LOL) and the dog with no issues. Mine has a 42 gallon tank and I typically put on @125-140 miles on the boat each camping trip and have never had to take extra gas.
    Good luck with your search!

T Riley

I have two seasons on my 2018 Tyee 1900 with a Merc 150. I live in New Hampshire and have the boat on the Connecticut River for most of the summer. I’ve also spent many days on Lake Winnipesaukee (26 miles long) on rough water amongst the 40-foot big guys. I’d have no fear running it on Lake Champlain, or even in-shore on Lake Ontario (within sight of land). Lots of room and great storage space. Very solid and stable boat! Good luck!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.