2 went thru the ice at Alma

• Deleted

reported at 2:00 p.m today

Attachments:
    1. 97EB3855-F3CF-487A-8CE4-6082A6627278.jpeg

Ice Cap

More of this to come I’m sure. First ice or last ice. Someone always has to be the first one on and the last one off. I always remind myself of what a horrible way that would be to die and my better judgement guides me from there.

Deleted

Yup. Last Saturday after ice fishing, I decided to pack up the ice gear.one spot I fished had 1/2 the ice compared to the week before.

tim hurley

The melt on lakes is a lot more even and predictable. The warmth and sun melts the ice slowly, on rivers the sun and warmth are melting the ice AND runoff is eating the ice in a fast and unpredictable way-be careful

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

More of this to come I’m sure. First ice or last ice. Someone always has to be the first one on and the last one off. I always remind myself of what a horrible way that would be to die and my better judgement guides me from there.

Back in the late 60’s I had the occasion to be on a dock in Knife River when two brothers’ bodies were laid out after being retrieve from Lake Superior. Maybe some nice up-close pictures of cold water drowning victims would be appropriate right at first ice and again about now. I’ve seen plenty of death but there is nothing as hideous as seeing someone who has drowned cold water. The image of those two brothers when the tarp blew off their bodies is forever etched in my brain. The incident at Lake Zumbro yesterday and now this today has brought that image back plenty for me. The absolute last thing I want Carole or my daughters to have to do is come and identify me looking like those brothers. Is a fish really worth that?

Kurt Turner
    Kasson, MN

God bless these adventurous people over the keyboard cowboys who do nothing but criticize and create more fear.

Accidents happen when you choose to get out and live. Pretty safe on the couch.

Glad everyone got lucky in this case.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Lake Zumbro

Wasn’t that someone rescuing their dog, and two fishermen helping.

Raise your hand if you’ve put your life at risk to save a life in the last twelve months. wave

Deleted

God bless these adventurous people over the keyboard cowboys who do nothing but criticize and create more fear.

Glad everyone got lucky

There’s a difference between creating fear and posting real events, as a cautionary reminder. I hung it up already for the year cause I already fell off a dock last November and earned my shrinkmaster swim badge. I could have used some reminders before all that.

What’s a couch?

Ryan Wilson

Glad everyone got lucky in this case.

Almost winning “The Darwin Award” isn’t something to be proud of. All it takes is one bad day and hubris isn’t the only thing that’s going to be lost. There’s nothing safe about being on a frozen body of water. Reminds of a week ago when that guy died in his steam-powered rocket trying to prove the earth was flat and all he did was prove gravity existed…

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Tom Sawvell wrote:</div>
    Lake Zumbro

The lake is full of pockets of open water that normally are not open at this time of year. The ice is shot. Nobody should have been out there. And a 60+ year old woman who lives on that lake should know enough to get help instead of wandering out on the ice without a life jacket next to open water without someone there in case things happen….as Kurt puts it. Stupid put her in serious trouble which led to two others attempting to help her getting into serious trouble.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

How’s the ice around Brainerd?

riverruns
    Inactive

How’s the ice around Brainerd?

Ice is good there. We were there for the extravaganza end of January. No problem. smirk

Coletrain27

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>FishBlood&RiverMud wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Tom Sawvell wrote:</div>
    Lake Zumbro

The lake is full of pockets of open water that normally are not open at this time of year. The ice is shot. Nobody should have been out there. And a 60+ year old woman who lives on that lake should know enough to get help instead of wandering out on the ice without a life jacket next to open water without someone there in case things happen….as Kurt puts it. Stupid put her in serious trouble which led to two others attempting to help her getting into serious trouble.

Another assumption without even knowing the full story first. The lady went out there with her kayak and started taking on water when the 2 other fisherman went to go help her

catmando
    wis

its ATV time here in Polk county for this guy

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

There’s nothing safe about being on a frozen body of water.

Well, actually there are many ways to be safe on a frozen body of water.

The dichotomy to what you’re saying would be that being in a boat on open water is always safe.

I could say…”There’s nothing safe about being on an open body of water”

Let’s look at this more universally. How many drown as a result of falling over the side of the boat, or capsizing?

Fair or unfair comparison? One could argue there’s many more in boats compared to those that venture out on the ice. Worldwide?…sure. Regionally?…thousands venture on the ice each year and not all ever get in a boat. Apples to oranges?

Speaking of boat, most drowning victims were not wearing PFD’s. Guess they win “The Darwin Award”? neutral

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ryan Wilson wrote:</div>
    There’s nothing safe about being on a frozen body of water.

Well, actually there are many ways to be safe on a frozen body of water.

The dichotomy to what you’re saying would be that being in a boat on open water is always safe.

I could say…”There’s nothing safe about being on an open body of water”

Let’s look at this more universally. How many drown as a result of falling over the side of the boat, or capsizing?

Fair or unfair comparison? One could argue there’s many more in boats compared to those that venture out on the ice. Worldwide?…sure. Regionally?…thousands venture on the ice each year and not all ever get in a boat. Apples to oranges?

Speaking of boat, most drowning victims were not wearing PFD’s. Guess they win “The Darwin Award”? neutral

This might be the most rambling no nonsense post this week! Lol.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.