2 lines in the MN open water season?

• Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Oh I can guarantee I catch as many eyes as you with lead in the summer.
    Open minded and been there done that buddy.

And all this coming from a guy getting paid for a bucket of fish….

I think this post explains it all. Everything you stated is about you trying to prove you are as good as someone else. No one said you were not a great fisherman. You post great reports and appear to be a very good fisherman. Just because I take anglers out fishing for money does not make me any better or my opinions anymore important. I’m not sure where you got that idea. You are just as good as the next avid angler! We are just trying to post possible issues with this for the average angler. WE ALL UNDERSTAND YOU CAN CATCH MORE FISH THAN ANYONE AND HAVE NO ISSUES RUNNING A TON OF LINES. We get it.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I can see how having two lines would be nice for catfishing and muskie fishing.

I do have two arms and hands, but I’m not that good, that I can cast and retrieve two rods with Muskie baits, simultaneously. wave

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

This is basically the fishing equivalent of a ‘reefer madness’ ad on tv back in the day.

It’s scary to know there are some out there who want a 1000 page regulations book and even more nanny state rules and regs.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Joe Scegura wrote:</div>
    Only way I would want this to pass is if we had to remove our GPS units and go back to a simple flasher in the boat. Technology is great but we can’t keep increasing technology and have two lines.

This hits the nail squarely on the head and is one reason I feel that we should have a definite opener for ice season along with a ice specific license and regulations and close the season on Feb. 28 [29]. It would make enforcement much simpler. It would help keep some people safe from themselves….those who want to push the limits of early and late ice. I know people who aren’t with it enough to catch fish in a boat but who have flashers and have learned to use them more than effectively and are people who keep limits every day they’re out. All this technology is going to trash winter fishing.

I’d be fine with a one line limit for ice anglers using ANY sort of flasher or locator and a 50% reduction in limit regardless of the species of fish plus having to purchase a “technology use” license for $35 bucks. Those who choose to fish without “technology assistance” [no shelter, no electronics and no electric or fueled augers, could pay a $5.00 season fee. Anyone standing on terra firma, a dock, a pier, or in a boat fishing any open water not created thru the use of saws or augers or other artificial means can fish according to the state’s open water rules and seasons.

Way too many people want to see more lines in use but then harp when limit reductions come along. Make a choice. All these electronics are going to ruin that which they are used to exploit, then what?

copete44
    Farmington, MN

I like this discussion, I am personally hopeful the new Governor will make some good changes to our current fishing regulations. I know that Wisconsin has a lot simpler regulations and doesn’t seem to have the same issues we have. Hopefully the new Governor, being an outdoors guy, will make some good common sense changes. Like importing sinners and simpler slot/bag limits. The fact you have to be reading the reg book over and over again every time you hit the water is such a joke. If slot limits work, we shouldn’t need to have 20 different slots. I also don’t understand why most of the metro lakes allow keeping 6 walleyes, when the numbers clearly show we can’t maintain that level of fishing with the pressure the metro gets. I would love to see most metro lakes with a walleye limit of 2 or 3.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

We used to have to pay $10 for a second rod stamp. Eventually, DNR just included it into the price of a regular license and no stamp required. I’m of the mind that it allows one to try more lures to find what the fish want more quickly. As a fisherman, I’m all for that.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Inland lakes – no.

The Mississippi, Minnesota and other inland rivers would be fine with me.

If anglers can’t agree on the topic, neither will the DNR/Legislature. coffee Will never happen.

-J.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I must be a little slow today.

How is this possibly enforceable? Do you carry a DNR 2 rod flag?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

You mount your phones to the boat and send selfies to the DNR. grin

Kyhl
    Savage

This is basically the fishing equivalent of a ‘reefer madness’ ad on tv back in the day.

It’s scary to know there are some out there who want a 1000 page regulations book and even more nanny state rules and regs.

Thank you, that was my thought exactly.

The last thing we need is another page of regulations. IMO, should be able to publish all the regs in a few pages. We already have a 92 page book that is updated every year. Sheesh.

Let’s double the number of pages then post the annual thread about license sales dropping off, or fishing tourism taking a hit.

Kyhl
    Savage

I must be a little slow today.

How is this possibly enforceable? Do you carry a DNR 2 rod flag?

Colored strobe light. whistling

basseyes

Joe,

Do you support 2 lines ice fishing, even with all the advantages of technology? And if so, what’s the difference in your mind?

Be forewarned, that’s a loaded question.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Riddle me this. You’re trolling leadcore, bobber fishing or Lindy rigging for walleye. One rod gets hit and then the second one gets hit what do you do?… you don’t have 4 hands, so the only option is to either drag the fish behind the boat or feed the fish an unwanted amount of time. Any way you write it up the walleye on the second rod doesn’t have a bright future.

I don’t disagree with you on this scenario Joe, but that would be such a rare scenario that I really can’t imagine it would have a significant impact. And really no different than a guy fishing solo with 2 tip ups that go off at the same time.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Thread Notice: We are all fishermen/women here. Some with different views than others. There is no need to get personal and attack a fishing friend.

And now back to the regularly scheduled debate.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

True. I actually think it is more like conceal carry. Before a law passes people say it’s going to lead to the Wild Wild West. The bill passes and it doesn’t, life goes on as before.

It is one of the dumbest laws that has delusional fears attached to it.

Being able to fish 2 lines will have little effect on the fishery. I can also tell you that just because you can use 2 lines, it doesn’t mean most everybody will.

I rarely see people fishing 2 lines here. When I do it is usually when fishing is slow, they are by themselves and fishing from a pier/bank.

The truth is most situations using 2 lines will just be a PITA. Most people don’t want to have to deal with 2 lines. The fears of it effecting the fishery are greatly exaggerated.

Heck, ever watch a crappie show where they are fishing a spider rig spread? Do you notice that it isn’t chaos and they are still usually catching one fish at a time?

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Joe,

Do you support 2 lines ice fishing, even with all the advantages of technology? And if so, what’s the difference in your mind?

Be forewarned, that’s a loaded question.

Fair question. Only thing I can say is I know how many fish come to my boat and how many come threw the ice.

When it’s prime time on a summer day I can side scan 5 spots in minutes, then get on the best number of fish and pound em. Through the ice all I can do is guess and wait.

During the summer one could compare it to a calculated sniper attack and in the winter it’s more like playing the lottery. Again this is just my opinion.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Enforceable?

If a CO sees me fishing with one or two lines, I would expect them to swing over to see that I have a license. If I have two lines out I would expect them to see that on my license and get a ticket if I didn’t.

Same amount of time enforcing 1 line or 2.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I still know guys who fish for a limit of meat each time out. Keeping meat is absolutely fine, but it’s the mentality of obtaining a limit each time that is the problem. Limit means maximum. You should still exercise selective harvest and if you reach the maximum on occasion fine, but that should not be the underlying goal each time out.

If you don’t think that these type of guys will reach their limit quicker and more often, then you are mistaken.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

During the summer one could compare it to a calculated sniper attack and in the winter it’s more like playing the lottery. Again this is just my opinion.

Warm water fish spread out and move often.
    Cold water fish hold an area and stay there.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Warm water fish spread out and move often.
    Cold water fish hold an area and stay there.

I respect that opinion but disagree. Predator fish are endlessly migrating. I’ve rarely had a school of walleye sit in one spot…

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Joe Scegura wrote:
    Riddle me this. You’re trolling leadcore, bobber fishing or Lindy rigging for walleye. One rod gets hit and then the second one gets hit what do you do?… you don’t have 4 hands, so the only option is to either drag the fish behind the boat or feed the fish an unwanted amount of time. Any way you write it up the walleye on the second rod doesn’t have a bright future.

Doesn’t seem to be an issue in WI, SD, ND.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

We used to have to pay $10 for a second rod stamp. Eventually, DNR just included it into the price of a regular license and no stamp required. I’m of the mind that it allows one to try more lures to find what the fish want more quickly. As a fisherman, I’m all for that.

This is going on in Iowa now from what I’m hearing. No more stamps to fish extra lines.

If I look at the responses in this thread, most all that are against two lines are North of the Metro area (except Tom. I didn’t count Jon because he been tagged a Mille Lacs fisherman).

And that brings me back to “not allowing two lines on the big lakes”.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Enforceable?

If a CO sees me fishing with one or two lines, I would expect them to swing over to see that I have a license. If I have two lines out I would expect them to see that on my license and get a ticket if I didn’t.

Same amount of time enforcing 1 line or 2.

I would agree with that statement if everyone was required to have the endorsement.

I just ponder at the thought of opening day on crowded water and 50% of the people are fishing 2 lines. Where would they start checking, the people fishing two lines? That’s bordering profiling.

Jake D
    Watertown, SD

2 lines open water and 4 through the ice. Reduce the eye limit to 4.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Joe Scegura wrote:

Doesn’t seem to be an issue in WI, SD, ND.

Making moonshine, marrying your cousin,running drugs, taking bribes are also accepted practices in some states. Does that make it acceptable here?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

3 lines on Superior too. The other two states that border MN on Superior allow 3.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Making moomshine, marrying your cousin,running drugs, taking bribes are also accepted practices in some states. Does that make it acceptable here?
    [/quote]

It should, that sounds like fun! rotflol

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Ok, since we are going down the rabbit hole.

When Red had the Crappie explosion and everybody and their brother came from all around for Crappies. Did the doubling have lines have any effect or would we have fished it out (as we did) with only one line? Thousands of fisherman equaled thousands of extra lines and thousands of extra fish taken.

Savage Brewer
    Savage, MN

I would love it for bobber fishing, I used to throw out a bobber with worm or minnow and then cast with a second rod working jigs and spinners.

Managing all of the above mentioned different licenses for different technology will never fly. The logistics of it all would be a nightmare.

Easy solution:
    #1: Reduce the limits on how many you can keep per day in conjunction with adding slots so big panfish are getting returned to the water and modify existing slots on other species.
    #2: Make the two line rule to be when stationary (ice, shore, dock, boat when anchored)

Part of the trick would be to make the rules simple and make them statewide where possible.

Lets be honest GPS is here to stay, if they say you cant use GPS how do you police that, never will happen especially with things like the Navionics app on a phone.

Managing the limits on some of this would go a long way in helping our fisheries. I thought at one time we had a daily catch limit and a possession limit, when did that change?

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 115 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.