2 lines in the MN open water season?

• biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Stunted Sunfish, Crappie or Perch…and the Reason is? = Over harvest? or not? give away a panfish Honey hole, how many will be on your spot and how long will your spot produce.

Agreed. Are the crappies stunted in URL?

Or lets just imagine next MAY 11th the DNR opens an unfettered walleye season on Mille Lacs lake, with no regulations, it is simply an Individuals choice to harvest only what they need.
    How would that work out?

That’s apples to oranges. Try fishing only 1/10 of mille lacs on opener. Same result? That’s about the overall fishable fraction of area of the red lake watershed.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

My main point is with 2 lines I bet about 20% of fish hours will be spent with 2 lines and I am being generous.

Of those hours I bet the take increases marginally, maybe an extra fish or 2.

It’s just not the scary scenario people make it out to be.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jeff_huberty wrote:</div>
    Stunted Sunfish, <em class=”ido-tag-em”>Crappie or Perch…and the Reason is? = Over harvest? or not? give away a <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>panfish Honey hole, how many will be on your spot and how long will your spot produce.

Agreed. Are the crappies stunted in URL?

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jeff_huberty wrote:</div>
    Or lets just imagine next MAY 11th the DNR opens an unfettered <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleye season on Mille Lacs lake, with no regulations, it is simply an Individuals choice to harvest only what they need.
    How would that work out?

That’s apples to oranges. Try fishing only 1/10 of mille lacs on opener. Same result? That’s about the overall fishable fraction of area of the red lake watershed.

Call it one tenth call it half call it whatever you desire, the fact is it would be fished untill the resouce is diminished.

And if there were Apples and Oranges nearby they would be gone also smirk

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

[/quote]
    Feelings aside, I don’t think there’s much of a chance this passes.

I laugh at that outlandish statement.
    Just like Gay Marriage, Booze on Sundays and soon to be Weed.
    [/quote]

Just couple the 2 line law with recreational weed. Problem solved.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Making moonshine, marrying your cousin,running drugs, taking bribes are also accepted practices in some states. Does that make it acceptable here?

Instead of insult 1 guy Dutch would rather insult everybody who lives in a different state than he does….. doah

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Call it one tenth call it half call it whatever you desire, the fact is it would be fished untill the resouce is diminished.

How do you figure when 9/10 is a sanctuary?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Is there 1 chance in 100 that 2 lines could be detrimental to the fisheries?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Is there 1 chance in 100 that 2 lines could be detrimental to the fisheries?

Attachments:
    1. F2535A17-95D8-4F75-BFB1-5216F6B4181A.jpeg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

This is better then that school bus thread waytogo

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

You might wanna keep an eye on the wall thread. waytogo

klang

For what it’s worth, IA has 2 lines and can buy a 3rd line for $14

Kurt Turner
    Kasson, MN

How many commenting have actually fished 2 lines? Very, very few anglers perfect the hookset with 2 lines. Most are misses and the few that make it to the net will hardly decimate MN fisheries. This comes from 5 years of traveling the Midwest walleye belt with all states, except MN allowing 2 or more lines…. the “tap” happens but the untrained wrist reacts too slow 99% of the time. Trolling cranks early Spring is the rare exception.

Great discussion. Sad to see the personal attacks and just plan pathetic lack of kindness to fellow anglers….

mojogunter

I haven’t ever rigged or bobber fished with 2 lines. I have fished multiple lines trolling on the river and 3 lines each person on the great lakes. I would be fine with 2 lines for cranks, but that is it. Bobber fishing I can see deep hooking mortality when the bite would get fast.

basseyes

How many commenting have actually fished 2 lines? Very, very few anglers perfect the hookset with 2 lines. Most are misses and the few that make it to the net will hardly decimate MN fisheries. This comes from 5 years of traveling the Midwest <em class=”ido-tag-em”>walleye belt with all states, except MN allowing 2 or more lines…. the “tap” happens but the untrained wrist reacts too slow 99% of the time. Trolling cranks early Spring is the rare exception.

Great discussion. Sad to see the personal attacks and just plan pathetic lack of kindness to fellow anglers….

X2, well said.

basseyes

Bizarre part is mn is one of only a few states where party hunting for deer is still legal, yet deer still persist.

Kurt Turner
    Kasson, MN

Bizarre part is mn is one of only a few states where party hunting for deer is still legal, yet deer still persist.

You can’t be inferring there is LOGIC in any gubernment decision, are you?

Like seatbelts in automobiles but no helmets on donorcycles?

Good luck with that line of thinking. LOL

blackbay

So if the consensus is that few will do it, and it’s hard to perfect the 2 line hook set, why even bother to change the law for the want of a few?

Also why does there need to be specific studies done to prove there is an issue with using 2 lines, but proponents don’t need anything to prove there wouldn’t be an issue?

}:-) <– devils advocate

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

You might wanna keep an eye on the wall thread. waytogo

What is this “wall thread” you speak of? whistling rotflol

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Wall-eye thread… mrgreen

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Well I’ve read all these posts and thought long and hard about it all.

And I still can’t figure out how a guy could use two fly rods at once.

jester

S.R.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

The only winners when I try and use 2 rods are the fish.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The only winners when I try and use 2 rods are the fish.

I feel the same way. Half the time I’m trying precision troll I mess something up any ways. Can’t imagine 2 rods. That’s why I never catch fish on the croix. I have to dummy it back down and go back to 1 rod.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

You will still have your poachers only now they will be doubling their odds. They will be more apt to drive to a hot bite if they can fish multiple lines. You know as well as I do that there are a bunch of guys who fish only if they can limit out.

Hey Dutch Brian… wave

I’m finally out of the “little house” cool

But you know as well as everyone else following this poo flinging thread, poachers don’t care or give an IDO poster’s a$$ about 1 line or 10 lines. Why would they? If they’re poachers?

And poachers…limit is not in their vocabulary. Limit out?, they have no limit…ha, ha.

Who amongst you are poachers too? whistling

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I do have two arms and hands, but I’m not that good, that I can cast and retrieve two rods with <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>Muskie baits, simultaneously. wave

You funny too dave… lol Were you trying to be funny?

Generations of Wisconsin muskie anglers have dangled a live sucker over the side of the boat while fan casting all the open waters around the boat.

1 of 4 things happen…

The muskie follows the jerkbait (all of us) and takes the sucker at the side of the boat, or…

the muskie takes the jerkbait and never notices the sucker, or…

the muskie never see’s the jerkbait and just sucks in the sucker (many of us)…suckers

or you catch nothing at all…that’s 2 line fishing. moon

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

I don’t know about Minnesota but just about every other State is a plant and take fishery. If people actually take more it simply requires planting more. I’d be surprised if most think they were catching native fish.

Viewing 25 posts - 91 through 115 (of 115 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.