1997 Mercury 75HP Tiller with reverse issue?

• Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

Before I search the web I wanted to give you gurus a shot at diagnosing this.

Last night I lost reverse in my motor. Shifts fine into and out of forward but when you shift into reverse there is nothing. Seems like it is still in neutral. All the linkages are moving fine and nothing is grinding. I just don’t get that click/thunk into gear when I shift to reverse.

I am thinking its something in the lower unit but I would love your thoughts. Thanks a bunch.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Here is how you can verify or fix if this is a slipped linkage.

– Put the motor in reverse. (I would assume the prop is still spinning freely – not in gear)
    – Drop the lower unit. (See any youtube video that goes over changing out a water pump)
    – Using a basic pliers or vice grip, turn the linkage point on the lower unit into the reverse position. (Little square knob sticking up on the top side of lower unit.)
    – Verify the unit is in reverse by turning the drive shaft in the clockwise direction. The prop should be engaged and turn in reverse at this point.
    -Reinstall lower unit.
    – verify the motor can be put into neutral and forward gear.
    – Go fishing.

If for some reason the motor will not go into reverse when you have the lower unit off, there are other issues. You can take the lower unit to the shop rather than dropping off the entire boat and motor.

-J.

Iowaboy1

grab the propeller firmly and pull it towards you as far as it can go,then push it back towards the motor,there should be almost zero play either way.
    if you can move the prop shaft in or out more than a couple of thousands of an inch a bearing or bearing bore is worn out and not letting the clutch dogs engage into reverse.

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

Thanks all, good suggestions and I will be pursuing both.

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

Update: I lost forward gear last night too. Was able to finagle it into gear to get home with the help of Sticker (who was with me).

Got the boat out and checked the prop and it moves about 3/8″ in and out. Any updated thoughts? It will more than likely be going to the mechanic.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Evan, did you ever resolve this?

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

Yes Sticker, I resolved it last night. I couldn’t be more dumb and the fix couldn’t have been more simple. The two lock nuts (top and bottom) that hold the lower unit gear box in, had jar-ed loose and it appeared the whole lower gear case had pulled out almost 1/2 inch. I believe these nuts hold in the lower unit gear case but I am not really 100% sure what they do (see pics). How it ever still engaged in gear sometimes amazes me. Luckily I noticed this before taking off the lower unit.

I tightened them up and everything was all good.
    As always, I appreciate the help and am now a little more informed on lower units. Thanks all

Attachments:
    1. lower-unit-issue-2.png

2. lower-unit-issue-1.png

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.