1650 fish hawk kicker

• Tom Anderson
    Kasson, MN

What are your thoughts on a 6hp short shaft motor for a kicker on a 1650 crestliner fish hawk?

mattgroff

I wouldn’t go nothing less than a 9.9. I posted awhile ago for my brother in law that was in the market and everyone that responded says go no lass than 9.9.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

Why, do you want to add a kicker??? A 16′ boat is kinda small to add the extra weight and the transom isn’t as big either. Not that the transom can’t handle the extra motor, it is a space issue. Let us know why you want to add a kicker and that will help with a better answer.

Tom Anderson
    Kasson, MN

I have 70 hp Yamaha 2 stroke. The slowest I can go is 3.5 mph. I’ve tried a drift sock, it’s kind of a pain in the butt. Don’t really care for smelling 2 stroke all day either. Thanks for the replies.

muskeye
    Duluth, Mn

If it helps u with catching fish, for sure get one. No need for a 9.9 on that small boat. I have a T8 on my 19′ glass boat and have no need for a 9.9, even trolling 3-4mph for muskies.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

A 6, 7.5 or at most an 8 is plenty. A 9.9 is too heavy for the transom of that boat and I wouldn’t want to add that much weight for no reason, plus it’s unnecessary as far as performance. There is no need for that much HP for that light weight of a boat.

It’s actually a benefit, especially with a 2 stroke to make the kicker work a little under some revs even if only to produce very low speeds. That way you don’t have the plug fouling and other issues with running right at idle.

Grouse

Tom Anderson
    Kasson, MN

Do you think the short shaft will work ok?

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

A 6, 7.5 or at most an 8 is plenty. A 9.9 is too heavy for the transom of that boat and I wouldn’t want to add that much weight for no reason

This isn’t always the case… the T8 is around 17-20# more than a F6. T9 is same weight. Both are heavier with electric start and power tilt.

I looked at adding a short shaft F6 I bought used, and ended up re-selling it… to find a used T9 (was looking for an 8 to save $, but). I got a lot of advice here that it wouldn’t clear the bottom of the boat enough to work well. There were suggestions about over heating and such…. but I don’t much into that, as it is in water, and by no means pulling the volume of a main motor.

I think the real concern was in reverse, or even forward, the flow from the prop was not clean, and not going to work as it should. I looked at other mounting brackets to lower it and such, and by the time I was done with the cost and such to make it work, almost right, I went looking for the right length shaft.

The guys I talked with on the water with a 6hp motor, using the long shaft, all said it was just fine and they were very happy with it. Seen them on the Fox river in GB, and on Lake MI in boats our size.

If the boat hull should have a long shaft, I’d look for a long shaft.

ggonzo

I have a 1650 fish hawk and im in your same position. I want to put a 9.9 on it. I was told would the splash line will be to low, due to the weight. I’m curious to know what you decided and how it worked out.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.