150 SHO on Warrior 2090

• Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

For anyone wondering what the performance is like on the 150 we have tried a few different props now and have settled on the 17 Reliance. We started with the 15 and we weren’t getting much lift. Top speed was 42ish and it trolled down to 2.7

The 17 pitch still has a great hole-shot (I don’t think it lost anything) and has much better bow lift. Mid range improved as well as the top speed jumped to 46. The forward trolling speed is 2.5 which can easily be brought down to 1.8-2.2 by dropping the vantage.

I think the 17 Reliance is a homerun on this boat/motor combo. I couldn’t be happier!

I haven’t checked the backtrolling speed as I have been mostly musky fishing the last few weeks but i’ll check it this weekend and post the results.

Jim Chyba

My 2009 2090 with 150 Yamaha will run 46 and troll down to 2.0. What’s different between sho and f150?

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Larger alternator
    Mid range torque & throttle response.
    The cowling

Tim Bossert
    Cochrane, WI

Is there an advantage to running a four, or even five bladed prop vs. the standard three blade? A buddy of mine bought the High Five for his boat because he claims he can power up and over the big waves of Lake Michigan, or Green Bay when rough and that he couldn’t do it as easily with his three blade. This got me thinking about mine and my looking at going four blade instead of the 19P three blade.

150 PRO V on a Warrior 190 Eagle.

Chad Engels
    Fargo, ND

Does anyone know if the yamaha 150 vmax sho tiller has VTS? Will the new 175 25″ shaft sho be available in a tiller? I see the 175 is the same weight, same block, as the 150 – might be a nice option for the warrior 2090. I wonder if the 175 will have vts? I see the Mercury vrod has rpm adjust on its 200 hp engine which are somewhat common on the warrior 2090. Not yamaha reliability however.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Yes the 175 SHO will be available in a tiller. VTS is available on any Yamaha motor, however its the old does the cost of VTS outweigh the benefit. For example I believe its like $2200( don’t quote me) for VTS but the gain for rpm is minimal, like 100-150 rpm. In gear rpm is right around 700 rpm and bottom line rpm for the SHO motors is 550-600rpm, so spending the money for VTS will not bring trolling speeds from lets say 2mph down to 1.2mph with that 100-150 rpm adjustment. I wouldn’t say it would bring you below 1.75mph, when you are talking these motors above the 115hp rating.
    If that is enough benefit for your fishing style then yes VTS is good, for most people its better to put that 2k into something else.

**these numbers are conversation based with Yamaha tech as is the cost of VTS**

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

Good info Cal!

PmB

Why isn’t there a yarcraft boats page?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Not enough demand. Get some Yar-Craft owners here and maybe there would be enough interest.

Mark Milliman

For anyone wondering what the performance is like on the 150 we have tried a few different props now and have settled on the 17 Reliance. We started with the 15 and we weren’t getting much lift. Top speed was 42ish and it trolled down to 2.7

The 17 pitch still has a great hole-shot (I don’t think it lost anything) and has much better bow lift. Mid range improved as well as the top speed jumped to 46. The forward trolling speed is 2.5 which can easily be brought down to 1.8-2.2 by dropping the vantage.

I think the 17 Reliance is a homerun on this boat/motor combo. I couldn’t be happier!

I haven’t checked the backtrolling speed as I have been mostly musky fishing the last few weeks but i’ll check it this weekend and post the results.

Pat- after running the boat for a few years, do you wish you would have went with the 250hp or even 200hp motor or are happy with the fishability of the 150??

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

I have been very happy with the fishability of the 150SHO. Stepping up to the 200 doesn’t add a whole lot, maybe 2-4mph and not a huge low end improvement. For me it’s not really worth the added cost. Possibly the 175SHO once they become available again?

The 250SHO is a different animal. Definitely a big low end through top end improvement all around. I guess it really comes down to what is the most important to you. If you do a lot of long runs or have the need to get places fast, it will definitely do that better.

As far as fishability goes, you cant go wrong with the 150SHO. It’s easy on gas, still clips along in the low to mid 40mph range, and jumps out of the hole very well.

I don’t know where you’re located, but best thing you could do is go drive one and see for yourself!

Mark Milliman

Pat- thanks for the info, it’s much appreciated!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.