14′ Alumacraft Advice Please

• Jesse D.

I have to decide between an older 14′ Backtroller and a “newer” V14. The backtroller is appealing because, at 73″, it’s such a wide boat. It’s also an open floor. But it is older (late 80’s), the walls are more shallow and the bow is a different and older shape.

The V14 is a mid ’00s. A 68″ beam, deep walls, 3 seats with a casting deck, newer motor and trolling motor.

Help me decide, please!

mike mulhern

I would lean towards the one that has the beat trailer and the one that loads the best. I have fished out of both and the older one is real stable. You didn’t mention the motors at all so that is a real wild card. A lot depends on how and where you plan to fish.

Mike

P.S. My brother owned a back troller at one time and sold it for a wedding ring. He has had a couple of other boats since and he really misssed that boat and the trailer combo what a pleasure that boat was to load and fish two out of.

Jesse D.

I would lean towards the one that has the beat trailer and the one that loads the best. I have fished out of both and the older one is real stable. You didn’t mention the motors at all so that is a real wild card. A lot depends on how and where you plan to fish.

Mike

P.S. My brother owned a back troller at one time and sold it for a wedding ring. He has had a couple of other boats since and he really misssed that boat and the trailer combo what a pleasure that boat was to load and fish two out of.

The newer boat as a newer Yammy 2 Stroke 25. The older an older Merc 20. A horse a piece.

I intend to fish Tonka and the river and small lakes as well.

Trailers are about equal as well aside from age.

I know a few guys that have a brand new V14 which is very similar to the 2005 and they think they load and fish very well. I have experience with neither though.

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

I would go with the v14 with the yammy and never look back. Those motors are super reliable.

Jesse D.

I would go with the v14 with the yammy and never look back. Those motors are super reliable.

That is certainly how I am leaning.

Jonz 67

Bought a new V14 a month ago. Put a 20 Yamaha on it. Got it setup with seats, sounder etc. Can’t wait to try it but it will be a couple more weeks till the ice is off the lakes here.

Attachments:
    1. F57729CE-A357-47E5-B59F-2B2689D86020-scaled.jpeg

Deuces

Back troller is the better boat, yammie is the better motor.

Buy both, put the yammie on the back troller sell the other.

Best of both worlds.

Jesse D.

Back troller is the better boat, yammie is the better motor.

Buy both, put the yammie on the back troller sell the other.

Best of both worlds.

Why is the backtroller better?

Jesse D.

Bought a new V14 a month ago. Put a 20 Yamaha on it. Got it setup with seats, sounder etc. Can’t wait to try it but it will be a couple more weeks till the ice is off the lakes here.

How much was this package?

Jonz 67

Boat motor and trailer was 13,000 Canadian.

Deuces

It’s open, makes for great maneuverability. Benches are extremely hindering.

Wider, more stable. Amazing how big that boat fishes.

Jesse D.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jesse D. wrote:</div>

It’s open, makes for great maneuverability. Benches are extremely hindering.

Wider, more stable. Amazing how big that boat fishes.

Benches are a bummer, but it’s such a newer boat.

Jonz 67

Decent open floor layout

Attachments:
    1. E0078214-6E6A-463F-AFCE-340F01BDD3A2-scaled.jpeg

Jesse D.

Decent open floor layout

This layout would take a great deal of work to get to on what I’m thinking of buying.

This is a 68″ beam, right?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.