13 Fishing Rods

• Bryan Shelton

Who here is using a 13 fishing rod out on the ice. I got a Tickle Stick this Christmas and so far have loved it. Very sensitive and easy hook set. Curious to see other people’s thoughts on their models.

Mike Freese

I have a couple tickle sticks and a couple widow makers with tickle stick tip. I like the tickle stick but love the widow maker. Would buy again in a heartbeat.

Bryan Shelton

Thanks. I may have to try a Widow maker. I love the Tickle Stick.

catchindeers54
    Anoka county

I have multiple tickle sticks and love them. Broke the tip off my ultralight one and just cut it back to the next eyelet and works just as great.

Nathan Lindall
    Eden Prairie, MN

I’ve got an ultra light widow maker with the flat tip. Absolutely love it; I’d never pick up another rod for panfish and it has handled a few pike. Doesn’t ice up much even down to -20 fishing outside the house. That said I haven’t tried any TUCR or other customs but can’t imagine it being that much of a life changer for the way I fish. Really a great rod!

Brandon P

Love my tickle sticks and widow makers. The snitch is also a good rod for the money. Have caught my biggest pike through the ice (only 28″) on a ul tickle stick last year. The widow maker with flat tip is my favorite for panfish. Hoping they come out with a med. tickle stick next year.

copete44
    Farmington, MN

I just got the tickle stick with freefall ghost from my girls for Christmas and took it to LOW a few weeks ago. I still have mixed feelings on the freefall, but love the tickle stick. I have the light versus UL and jigging small spoons and a light walleye/sauger bite was great. The feel of the bite and hook set was very smooth. I also have the cheaper wicked rod and an even cheaper vital. All three rods feel nice for their price point.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

I’ve had really good luck with the Widowmakers. They are the best non-custom rod I’ve handled.

The Ticklesticks are fun and effective, but they’re very easy to break. I handle my rods like porcelain Christmas ornaments but I’ve still busted two of them and my dad busted one. Those are the only rods we’ve broke.

Good thing is, 13 has excellent customer service and a great accidental breakage warranty.

Christian Slick

had a widowmaker but sold it to buy a custom. TBH the $20 price difference between a widowmaker and a custom is justifiable. Like Bass Thumb said, ticklesticks are definitely a neat and effective rod but I don’t trust that tip too much. Snitch is actually a hell of a rod for $35

James M Brown

I have 2 widow makers. A 24 inch UL and a 37 inch hole hopper with the flat tip in light action. Love them. I was a little skeptical with the ul 24 but not now. Limited on crappie and caught 3 6 to 7 pound pike and two 3 pound bass at the same time. The rod really impressed me with it’s strength. Bites were easy to see and backbone enough to set and fight some big fish. Also it was -2 F weather and all day. My guides had very little ice build up even though the ice did build up on the line. So the diamond coating does help. All told, a very good rod. Buy one and enjoy.

dexknows
    Blackduck, MN / Minneapolis, MN

I use a Snitch with the Freefall reel for my main panfish rod, and it’s awesome for in a house, but has the tendency to freeze up pretty quickly if you’re outside. I’ve got a couple of the MicroTech combos set up for ‘eyes and northerns that I mainly lend out to people fishing with me who need a rod now, but I used them a lot for 2 seasons and they held up really well. They truly are a pretty awesome combo for the price. Both of my brothers use the UL ticklesticks with Black Betty reels and absolutely love them for panfish.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I have 4 widow makers and they are great rods. I lucked out and bought them for 15 bucks each when gander went under. I mainly keep them rigged up as bobber rods. 2 are ultra lights and 2 medium lights. Both are awesome rods.
    I used to run tickle sticks back a few years but like many other people I broke every one of them

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

Picked up the White Noise 24″ UL last year and have really liked it for crappie fishing. Main use is for jigging small tungsten jigs.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.